RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 9mm Luger Powder Advice

9mm Luger Powder Advice

Hi Guys,

My buddy is going to start coming over and reloading for his 9mm Luger for practice rounds. He's a Police Officer, and wants to shoot combat-style practice. I don't own any 9mm's, so don't have any practical advice aside from what's in my Speer manual.

He's going to be loading Ranier Leadsafe 115gr RN. Anyone have a recommendation for a type of powder that burns clean, and performs well with the 115 grainers? How does the powder/bullet combo perform in regard to felt recoil, etc?

I appreciate the information! -Rob

Boolit Grand Master
    If the 115 grain boolits are similar in weight to that of his service loads, try to find a powder weight that produces similar velocities with the "practice" bullets. Recoil impulse and targeting variables will be minimized in that way. It has been a while since I loaded any 115 grain boolits, but most loads listed for 125 grain lead/cast boolits should be safe to use.

Many agencies have followed the FBI's lead in using the 147 JHP "sub-sonic" load in their 9mm's. My agency still uses this load--and I used bulk Winchester 147 JHP's from Midway--seated 1.140" OAL--atop 4.1 grains of WW-231 for a service load duplicator. Most 4" barrels impart about 940-950 FPS to this load. While this can be a VERY accurate load/bullet in the 9mm, it is about 20% underloaded from the caliber's full potential.

Since you mention the Speer Manual, READ AND HEED the warnings about bullet seating depth control contained within the 9mm Luger data and comments section. The 9mm Luger is best treated much like a rifle cartridge--owing to its relatively high pressure, fast twist rates in most barrels, and the wide dimensional tolerances found in chambers and barrels in this caliber. SIZE MATTERS. Most commercial lead bullets are undersized for most barrels, and the 9mm is NOT a "beginner's caliber" for reloaders like the 38 Special. It can be quirky and tempermental with lead boolits
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 01-13-2007 at 12:15 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Only advice I have is use data for lead bullets. That's what Rainier recomends! Universal burns clean and is a good powder. Since the bullet is a RN and plated feeding shouldn't be a problem! Is it an actual Lugar or are you talking about the round because the lugar doesn't like light loads?
    Last edited by mooman76; 01-13-2007 at 12:25 PM.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Reloading 9mm One thing come to mind

The total case capacity is very limited and normal pressures are fairly high.
    It is not . . . NOT a case for boolit substitutions that take up more case capacity.
    Follow book loading data precisely, especially bullet/boolit and minimum C.O.A.L..
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-13-2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: more info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

It is not an actual "Luger" pistol, just the round. 9x19 I think is what they call it with the NATO designator.

These answers bring up a concern for me. I have Lyman data for #358345, 115gr cast, COL .997". If I use this data, would I seat the Ranier to the same COL? Since I do not know the boolit length for the Lyman, how will I know how it compares with the length of the Ranier bullet? Would that be a concern for taking up too much space inside the case?

I've been wanting to try the Universal powder, but my Lyman manual does not give loads data for that. Out of the powders listed in the Lyman manual for the #358345 boolit on the 9mm Luger, which would you recommend? I shoot Bullseye in my .45 ACPs, and Universal in my .40 S&Ws. I think I may like the Universal better. What do y'all think?

Thanks again for the great help.
    -Rob

Boolit Master
    Take a look at Titegroup, might work for you also, info is in the Lyman book
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Grand Master

Rebliss

I bought some Universal wanting to try and was surprized at how little data there is especially since it is real close to Unique on the chart and data wise when you find it except it burns cleaner! Find the closest bullet type you can and work up your powder. If they are both round nose of about the same weight they have to be close on length. If you have any doubts go to the Rainer web site and see if they have something or shoot them an email!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Wink

-------For nice light accurate loads 3.5 of 231 behind a 125gr. r n boolit dose well in the 9mm---and I have used a lot of bullseye (3.8grs.) behind that 125gr. r n boolit.---Mag

Boolit Master
    In all my books there is no referance to Universal for the 9x19 in cast or plated bullets . Lee's book shows, Accur. #2, 5, and 7, v-N320, 330, 340, 350, and 3N37, Lymans shows for cast 120gn RN is, Titegroup, Bullseye, 700X, Red Dot (meeters bad with my auto disk), 231, SR-7625, PB, Green Dot, N340, Unique, Power Pistol (realy liked this but my powder guy said that it drops pressure after it gets below freezing), HS-6, and AA#5. My Hornady book has nothing to offer and I don't have anything else to go by cept searching the web for loads. So far the Titegroup seems to work well, at the range yesterday I was doing 20 and 25 yard target really nice for me and for fun I put 2 clay birds out at 50 and did break them, took a few shots to get a hit tho LOL, need more practice hehe Anyway, my load right now with the 120gn cast RN is 3.5gn Titegroup, CCI LPP, Mixed HS Cases, OAL is 1.11". Hope this helps a little. Keep us informed of what you come up with as any info is knowaloge for the rest of us
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

most of the articles ive read show power pistol being the most accurate.Ive used it in 357 to 45 and is one of my favorite powders.winchester primers work well with this powder.

Bought the Universal; been wanting to try that one anyway, and figured it would be a good opportunity! Thanks for all the input, fellows. I like that I can always come here and get good advice.

-Rob

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    I shoot a sig 226

i have have zero luck with plated or lead in the 9mm.

i use 115 fmj's which you can buy pretty cheap in bulk.

Fore me titegroup is an excellent powder in 9mm and 40 S&W I use 3.6 gr in 9mm

I tried power pistol with terrible results

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    SR4756 works great in mine with the Lee 120 (or thereabouts) grain TC bullet. No leading at all and great accuracy.

Cheers,

Phil