Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine........

Boolit Master

Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine........

Does anyone shoot a RBH in 30 carbine anymore?

I had one many years ago and sold it when I went into the military. I just haven't heard much about them anymore. I have an opportunity to buy a used one in pristene condition; any thoughts, comments?

Thanks,

HV in SC

Boolit Bub
    South Central, FL. In the Middle of the WOODZ!!!
    They are alot fo fun, mine is very accurate too, just a real ear breaker though.
    Ona, FL

Generous Donator

I have one also. I use ear plugs and ear muffs when I shoot it. Just had to buy a Ruger because I had a T/C and M-1 Carbine. It sure does shoot nice though.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just bought a new one in March. I was appalled to find a morass of mechanisms under the grip frame masquerading as a safety device, a trait I will ignore enthusiastically for the life of the revolver. Pachmayr grips fit, so my concerns ended at that point. Trigger is decent, dimensions are GREAT, and the revolver shoots wonderfully. And LOUDLY, with full-tilt rifle loads. Louder than Hell's Drum Line.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

They shoot the RCBS 115gr boolit very accurately. Great plinker!!!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Le Loup Solitaire

Ruger 30 Carb.

I use the RCBS 115 gr. Roundnose GC with 13-14 grains of 4227; same load as in my M1 Carb. MV is about the same as GI ball. Accurate but muzzle blast is impressive to say the least. Makes a good companion for the carbine. LLS

Boolit Master
    I have a 3 screw that the PO had an excellent trigger job done on. Very accurate and loud as all heck. Definitely plugs and muffs. One of my favorite tools for red squirrel blasting.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    I too have one.i shoot nothing but 32-20 brass in it,and it works great and is accurate.The lee 113rn gc is all i use.try it.

Boolit Master

The Lyman 3118 works great, very accurate but do use plugs and muffs both !!!!

Boolit Master

It is a really fun gun to shoot. Easy to load for and economical as all get out. Mine is a Ruger BH with the 7.5" bbl and points really nicely.

It always seems to garner a group of onlookers when fired.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

I use the Lee 309-113-F bullet with 6.4 gr. Unique. It is a moderate load without the loud report. Very pleasant. Love the 3 screw action.

Glen

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    First one I saw was at Ft. Hood in 1971. Good friend TC in 3rd heard had one. You can not imagine how many rounds of US Army caliber .30 carbine ammo we burned through that revolver. SP/4 Fred our gun cave key holder had cases of "unauthorized" ammo just sitting there for the takers. Would I buy one ???? I am to stuck on .41 mag, 414SM and .45 colt to head off to a fireball spitting jackrabbit slayer.
    Mike inPeru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

30 carbine pistol

I'm working on my third one. Got it about a year or so ago. Mostly shoot GC 113 and 115 grain boolits with a heavy dose of H110 or AA#9. Accurate and lots of fun. I also shoot 32-20 loads in it. I simply drop the 32-20 cartridge into the cylinder and it headspaces just right. It is also accurate and I can get a bit more velocity out of the 32-20 loads....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    Fun gun to shoot but a friend of mine of German extraction calls it "Das EarSchplittinLoudenBoomin"
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    4.5 Bullseye with the 311008...in the Ruger Blackhawk---just over 1,100 FPS MV...very accurate and fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Also, the Lyman 311410 is a great choice w/5.0 HP-38 or 6.0 of Unique. Very flat shooting for a revolver load. I set up a 12 ounce steel can at 250 yards on a dusty, freshly disced field. Very easy to see where the bullets were striking and I was shooting in a substantial cross wind...I had no trouble hitting the can. What was amazing to me is how teh bullet didn't drop very much nor was it affected by the wind, as I first surmised that it would have been. I knew when I hit the can because the sun glinting from it would change when I hit it. I also retrieved the can...Yep, it had quite a few no. of holes drilled through it.

Boolit Master
    Just for reference, the 32-20 trick does NOT work with a 3 screw, only the new model. On my list of stuff to do is some how get rim counter bores done to use 32-20 brass in my 3 screw.
    Some where between here and there.....

I kinda want one, too. Super accurate. If I had more time or a specific application, I'd have one. Right now I have a hard enough time finding time to load and shoot my practical revolvers so it's hard to justify a new caliber.