Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw dust Flux: Why not use this instead?

Boolit Master

Remember, an easy way to get sawdust is to go to Home Depot where they cut the wood for you and ask for some out of their vacuum bag. I get enough to last me for weeks at a time. Charcoal costs money, why bother??
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

flux

If using wood for flux, I prefer the shavings over the fine sawdust because of the time it takes fine sawdust to burn into carbon. I think a slower process gives the alloy more time to clean up and become one. I also leave a handful on top after the fluxing has taken place. This seals the alloy so that any oxidation does not occur. If you use the wood flakes sold by Pat Marlin they will fill the room with a very pleasant smell that even the wives like.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Saw dust w/ shavings worked well for me. I took the hint to use it and it was a wise move. However, the smoke is such that I am glad I smelt and cast outside on the patio. I would not want that smoke drama in the house or inside a shed / garage. Out in open, its no issue and all goes well.

I just want to make mention to those who may try it: it makes smoke. Just understand that and its something to think about when you decide where you are going to use this stuff as flux.

Cedar shavings may smell good to some wives but not mine!

Boolit Grand Master

The only negative to getting sawdust at big box stores is that it most likely includes the toxins from treated wood. That stuff shouldn't even be burned in a fireplace.
    Most everybody can find a construction site that will allow you to collect their sawdust. You can see from the cutoffs what is in the sawdust. Most cabinet shops will have mostly particle board dust, and that too is bad stuff.
    A saw mill, or lumber yard, will have the best, but should be well dried, before using as flux.

And Yes, a live moth can flutter on the surface, and introduce it's moisture beneath the melt to cause the tinsel fairy to visit. It won't happen every time, but ONCE IS ENOUGH.

Even a rain drop CAN do it, just not every time. It doesn't have to be immersed to the bottom, just under the surface. Have you ever felt a raindrop sting as it hit you??? It does fall with enough force to break the surface tension, and that's all it takes. Yes I know all about how a water drop on the surface just sings, and sputters, but that's just ON the surface.
    When it happens you won't have time to tell it, that it's impossible, and run at the same time. Are you so sure, that you want to tell a nooby not to worry about it.

Boolit Master

I got a bale of pine shavings all nice and compressed in a sack, about 40 pounds.
    All clean and all the same, cost $4.80 It will last me for more years than I have left on the planet. People use it for there chicken coops as a covering on the floor.
    Small handful in the pot and light it up, very little smoke while it burns.
    Stir it into the mix and leave it on top for a O2 blocker.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    The only negative to getting sawdust at big box stores is that it most likely includes the toxins from treated wood. That stuff shouldn't even be burned in a fireplace.
    Most everybody can find a construction site that will allow you to collect their sawdust. You can see from the cutoffs what is in the sawdust. Most cabinet shops will have mostly particle board dust, and that too is bad stuff.
    A saw mill, or lumber yard, will have the best, but should be well dried, before using as flux.

And Yes, a live moth can flutter on the surface, and introduce it's moisture beneath the melt to cause the tinsel fairy to visit. It won't happen every time, but ONCE IS ENOUGH.

Even a rain drop CAN do it, just not every time. It doesn't have to be immersed to the bottom, just under the surface. Have you ever felt a raindrop sting as it hit you??? It does fall with enough force to break the surface tension, and that's all it takes. Yes I know all about how a water drop on the surface just sings, and sputters, but that's just ON the surface.
    When it happens you won't have time to tell it, that it's impossible, and run at the same time. Are you so sure, that you want to tell a nooby not to worry about it.

OK. I didn't say it was impossible, I said IT WAS BEYOND MY ABILITY TO COMPREHEND HOW IT COULD HAPPEN. I quench molten ingots in the moulds with a pistol-grip garden sprayer. Makes HUGE clouds of steam and hot water spatter. Haven't blown an ingot up yet. If you're smelting in a driving sleetstorm, you have bigger "ones" than me. If your moths are big enough to create a steam explosion big enough to be concerned about, then they are a helluva lot bigger than the ones we have around here, sounds like you need to take precautions, but anything "just" under the surface IME isn't anything to freak out about. Take the safety measures you deem necessary.

Gear

Boolit Master

The last time I was smelting it started to rain. at first it was just a drizzle, so I kept filling ingot moulds. then just as I got the last one filled the sky opened up! The turkey fryer is out in the open, not under cover, so I quickly turn off the propane, and retreat about 20' away, right by the door, and under an overhang, so I'm out of the rain. Let me tell you, the pot was steaming up a storm, and the ingot moulds were making all sorts of hissing noises! 20 minutes later, after the sun had come back out, and everything was dried off (you couldn't even tell it had rained) the only place there was any rain left was IN the pot on the turkey fryer, there was at least an inch of rain, maybe more in the pot, and the lead underneath it had a pock marked surface from rain drops hitting it, but there was no tinsel fairy visit, just lots of hissing! I poured off the water, and put away the fryer, and will finish smelting another time.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    OK. I didn't say it was impossible, I said IT WAS BEYOND MY ABILITY TO COMPREHEND HOW IT COULD HAPPEN.
    lmao.

Boolit Master

Question; if sawdust/shavings absorb all the impurities from an alloy, could we not use battery plates for the lead if one were to flux enough?
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    Question; if sawdust/shavings absorb all the impurities from an alloy, could we not use battery plates for the lead if one were to flux enough?
    NO! There are too many nasties in battery plates. And the chemicals used to render the plates are just as bad.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    Battery Plates? Glad some one asked that. Never thought of using that stuff although have been offered old batteries and chose not to mess with them. Now I am glad to know this was a real good move on my part to avoid them .

Boolit Buddy
    Tried some of Pat Marlin's flakes that came with the Checkmaker, and was impressed by how slow they burned and how little smoke was generated. I hate the idea of spending money on flux, but they are the best flux I've used in terms of the stated qualities.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Master
    I guess one could test a lot of stuff for flux that smokes less than saw dust. I will admit that large size corn cob media sold for pet cages (worthless for cleaning brass .. sad to say) is a decent flux and does not smoke like saw dust.

Saw dust is pretty much a common item one can find for free so its got that going for it although it does smoke !~

I've always wondered if thoroughly dried grass clippings from the yard would be as effective (and cheaper, since one would not have to use gas to go pick it up) as sawdust. Both are fibery plants...

Boolit Master
    Shoot, sawdust only smokes for a couple minutes...casting area should be well ventilated anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by H.Callahan View Post
    I've always wondered if thoroughly dried grass clippings from the yard would be as effective (and cheaper, since one would not have to use gas to go pick it up) as sawdust. Both are fibery plants...
    It would work, I'm sure, but it would smell like, well, burning grass. Which kinda smells like some other kinds of grass burning, do you have nosey neighbors?

Gear

Boolit Master
    Shoot, sawdust only smokes for a couple minutes...casting area should be well ventilated anyway.

Yes Indeed that is so and let not my comments about smoke detract about saw dust doing a bang up job as a flux. Of course, next time, I will put up a wind sock so I can stand up wind !!!

It sure does work fine and I have no regrets using it from now on. Not sure I am going to chase what kind of saw dust it is and etc etc. Just stand up wind and go for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    It would work, I'm sure, but it would smell like, well, burning grass. Which kinda smells like some other kinds of grass burning, do you have nosey neighbors?

Gear
    Yikes! Occasionally I have worried about neighbors mistaking the funky smell of outdoor smelting for a meth lab, now I gotta worry about being accused of being a pot head? This boolit casting is going to get me in trouble!
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".