WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Reloading shotgun for slugs: Newbie questions.

Boolit Bub

Reloading shotgun for slugs: Newbie questions.

OK, so I have my melting pot, dipper, and Lee 1oz mold ready. I've been reloading 12ga shot for years using a MEC 600 Jr and Red Dot powder. Supposedly, with the Lee mold you can just use the same wads and press as you use for shot. Just crimp the end of the shell.

Where can I find out how much of a charge I should use for Red Dot powder? The molds came with some load information for other powder types, but not what I have on hand. Do I need to switch to one of the "recommended" powders for slug reloading?

I'm assuming that I need to use high brass hulls for slugs? I have a couple dozen Winchester 1oz slug hulls to start with. They're even reloadable for shot and make a nice crimp.

I should be able to use the same primers, right?

Thanks for any info, I've never cast my own but I like it already!

Rando

Boolit Master
    Rando, get Lyman Shotshell Manual. It's got plenty of slug and buckshot data. I don't remember seeing to many RD loads. The powders I've used for slug and buck have been in the 7625 and HS6 area. You don't need high brass. I use AA and clear Fiochi (those are nice because you can see what's in them) and whatever wad is in the manual for that load. I do however put a 20 ga felt wad under slug in the cup to help it seperate. Several recovered wads early on in testing revealed a very serious bottom of the cup distortion and the felt wad helps that not happen. Another thing, about the Lee drive key mould, you will more than likley have to smooth the key a bit to get it to release the slug, and maybe smoke it or use some mould release on it. When seating the slug you may want to put a felt wad on top while seating (don't leave it there) to keep the top of the slug from engraing on the seater. Try lots of different combinations to see which works best. That shouldn't be a problem since you can make as many as you want CHEAP.

I got one of these last year and started loading for it. I use the same load as I would for 1 oz of shot. I've used both Clays and Unique, all my loads were on the light side. I used standard AA hulls, and I think AA (claybuster?) wads and standard primers. They usually load up and look just like standard shotgun shells but without the shot peaking out. And yea, with the drive key mould, smoke it really good or it can be a real pain to get the slug out.

Boolit Mold
    I started to load those slugs for a reduced load last summer. I did some experminting and finally settled on 30 - 32 grns of unique. The shells really dont matter but I stick with AA if I have to buy them. I got a s%&t load of once used Hi brass slug shell given to me and have used almost all of them up. Did have to segregate to keep same length shell together but that was easy due to different colors. Why doesn't LEE make one for the 20 ga???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gns4me View Post
    . Why doesn't LEE make one for the 20 ga???
    The way I understand it, they tried and failed to get a product that they were proud of...hard to believe but that is the story....

Boolit Buddy
    On the subject of shotgun slugs, who makes or will make a full bore (0.735 dia or what ever it is) slug. I have seen several articles about using brass shells and full size slugs to make a poor mans 12 bore. For what ever reason, this is of intirest to me.

Boolit Master

Rando,
    There is loading data on the instruction sheet that comes with the Lee Slug Mold. I think that Red Dot might be a bit too fast of a powder. You may have less felt recoil with a slower burner. Recoil with some of them that I have shot was most noteworthy to say the least! The data sheet included lists HS6, AA#5, and Hodgdon Universal as powders. I could try to scan it and send you a copy. If you have a dialup connection, it may take much time to recieve it if I can get it sent...BCB