Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Price increase on primers

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    For.02 worth. I picked up CCI 500 at Scheels Reno the boxes were marked$ 35 but rang up at$ 29 . Nearly 8% tax though.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Our Scheels is also $35/1000.

Looged onto my Midway USA catalog wish lits yesterday. Was a pop up with about five price increases listed for the items in my wish list. Like $2 increase on a box of J bullets. ouch.

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody have any chrono data regarding the consistency of the tula large rifle primers?
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Bub

Tried the Tula and Wolf primers

After some replies suggesting I try the Tula and Wolf primers I order 2k of the Tula small pistol and 2k of the Wolf large pistol from Powder Valley. I loaded up fifty 38 spec and fifty 44 spec. I had read that some guys had trouble seating the primers. I made sure each primer hole was cleaned and I thought the Tula and Wolf primers seat easier than CCI. I went out with the grand kids today and test fired both calibers. They worked great with zero problems. It almost felt like I had better accuracy with the new primers. I just placed an order for ten thousand more of these great primers. I should be set for a couple years. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by truckmsl View Post
    Anybody have any chrono data regarding the consistency of the tula large rifle primers?
    I found a pretty tight laod yesterday with Wolf LR primers in a 243 AI.
    18.0 gr RX7 under 87gr Saeco boolit. 26" barell. Three shots over the chrony.

FPS ES SD
    2040 6.54 4.00

17.2 grains gave an ES of 51.28 AT 1920FPS.
    That's with a big Ackley 243 case that's less than half full with no filler.
    I put three rounds over the chrony from my 270 win with Wolf primers 22.0 gr Rx7 under 150gr RCBS and showed ES of 40 fps. 1805, 1783, 1823. I'll try another grain of powder to see if it will burn better.

Boolit Master

Cheap money

Lead Foot, if the loonies in Washington keep printing money at the rate they have been, currancy from Zembabwe will be worth more. I don't know if I spelled the country's name right but I really don't care.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Lead Foot, if the loonies in Washington keep printing money at the rate they have been, currancy from Zembabwe will be worth more. I don't know if I spelled the country's name right but I really don't care.
    Close ~ Zimbabwe. I know what you mean. I try to buy Austrailan if I can but Austraila dosen't make much shooting gear anymore. Most of my guns and gear are made in the US. You should support local made ~ Wolf ~ Russia ~ REM, FED, WIN and etc ~ made in US. But then again your budget only goes so far. If it wasn't for the mining boom here our $ would be the same as Zimbabwe.

Boolit Buddy
    GabbyM - thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll give em a try.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

here's my latest results:

Weapon: Springfield M1 Garand (30.06)
    Powder: 36 gr. IMR 4895
    Bullet: 311291, gas checked
    Casing: Remington, no filler

1st clip

2292(H) 2133
    2269 2107 (L)
    2218 2134
    2168 2148

2nd clip

2222(H) 2167
    2212 2167
    2128(L) 2184
    2139 2175

1st clip average = 2184
    2nd clip average = 2174

For those wondering about leading; there was none.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Banned

China's hunger for metals might be the reason. They have little except coal so they buy everything else. Greed in this country removes all we need for ourselves. Sell to China first. There is little left.

Boolit Buddy
    Last gun show I went to in Ft. Myers, Fl. the primers were priced at $35.00 a thousand for Winchester, and $25.00 a thousand for Wolff.. I bought the Wolff and they work fin in my Dillon and sure as heck work great in my Rock Chucker.. Besides they keep the group the same in my .30-06 so I'm gonna buy them when I can..
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    Gentlemen,

Tula primers are outstanding. I recommend you go that route and find out what sterling performance they provide. THey replicate Winchester primers in all my pistol and rifle loads.

I load them using Dillon and RCBS priming systems and they feed perfectly. I have over 20K Tula primers used this past year and choosing this brand has performed flawlessly. The fit of primers to brass primer pockets is second to none... just perfect. Sure fire stuff and sure easier on my wallet !

Let see: supply is no issue, cost is great and I can shoot MORE FOR LESS. The Math is very good for my shooting addiction. I am consuming upwards of 2K of large pistol primers the last 2 months. Lubed / sized 2500 ea. 45acp bullets yesterday to catch up on logistical supply requirements. At this rate, it seems all I do is shoot, clean pistols, cast bullets, lube / resize bullets, load ammo, shoot............ ain't life great ??????

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    The owner of one of my local gun shops told me that primers are about to drop in price. His informants are telling him that the primer manufacturers are rapidly catching up on demand and that there will soon be a market-flood of primers. I hope his informants know what they're talking about. We need a break of some kind in this mad business.

Prices drop...watch out there'll be 100k or better sitting in my lap, depending on how much of a price drop we're talking about.
    With the things in Afghanistan kindda winding down there oughta be a surplus coming up on primers and brass.

Boolit Master
    Powder Valley has Wolf primers for as low as $15.50 per 1,000. Not counting the HM fee.

Boolit Master
    Primers have been the long pole in the tent many times. For the old guys here, we had shortages under Clinton and that type thing has happened many times since. Powder remains abundant (although at times flavors of it might not be deep on market) but primers always become scarce at times.

It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that stocking up on primers is a good idea and keeping a large inventory is wise beyond words. If you buy and use primers as you use them, you will run into huge problems in supply availability.

Bite the bullet. Buy a good supply and keep that inventory on hand, rotate it out by use and replace accordingly. Buy primers on sale and seek to keep the average cost of them low as possible by wise buying and bulk purchases.

Snooze You Lose !!!!!!!!!

Back in the late 90's I was working in Appleton at the time Sheels was clearing out loading supplies for their move to the Fox Valley mall. I picked up large quantities of all sizes of CCI for $6.50/K along with good lots of various powders. Seemed like a good idea at the time, even better now. Primers and powder last indefinately if stored properly. Still get good results with stuff I bought in the 70's and 80's.

Boolit Master
    It's greed, pure and simple!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    Bought primers just today, 5000 each, Winchester - Large Rifle and Large Pistol. $99 each at the gun show.
    Primers and Powder are the only reason to visit our crappy gun shows here anymore...
    I just paid the same at a gun show show here in Phoenix over the weekend. Bought 5000 of the WSP, WLP, WLR, and WSR. Before that I was paying 29.00 a thousand and I thought I was being gouged. The shotgun primers are still 29.00 a thousand, but that is the cheapest I can find.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Anybody have reliable data on where these Tula primers fall on the brissance and heat scales? Especially in the small pistol size? Makes a big difference to my .38 target loads. Rem 1 1/2 SPP are costing me as much as $40.00 per 1K around here.
    Cognitive Dissident