RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: "hairs in my bore" from alox??

"hairs in my bore" from alox??

awhile back i tested out some loads with a 200 grn lswc in my 45.
    i checked the bore for leading and never got any so, when i decided what i was going to load i made a bunch and never checked again.

somehow, i lost my load notebook. im not going to guess what i was shooting, even though from what i read online ive never come close to max with this bullet and uniqeu. when in doubt, i work my way back up.

well my original run was straight alox, now im going to be using 45 45 10 and i figured id scrub my bore really good to give it an honest assesment. i look down my bore and there are little brown hairs in the barrel. am i right in thinking this is the straight alox, wich i now know i was applying to generously, or do i have a problem.

Banned

stinkybriches

Close examination of the hairs should help you tell if they are lube or bullet alloy. They will burn if they are lube, they will light right up with a match. If they are boolit alloy covered with lube you will see flame then the lead melt but not burn.

That information will narrow down the next question of figuring out why this has happened.

Hope you saved the hairs,

Gary

unfortunatly i didnt save them.

i put my .270 bore snake threw it by mistake, and they came right out with almost no contact from the snake, and the brush on it is far to small to contact the bore.
    thank you for your prompt response, wish i didnt muck up the ability to really find out what it was.

Banned

stinkybriches

1. If it was lead, undersize boolits will be cut by rifling because they are not big enough to be held and spun by rifling.

2. Boolits too soft for the load level will be cut by rifling because they don't have the strength to be held and spun by the rifling.

3.Boolits too brittle get chunks cut off of them when they fail because of their brittleness at any load level, but that doesn't leave strings or hairs.

If it was caked lube in the corners of your rifling grooves, the lube did it's job.

Hope this helps.

Gary

well, it very well could have been the caked layers you speak of just starting to seperate from the bore,literally hanging like hair. i havent shot it in awhile as ive been doting on my AR's.

bullets were measured .452 and .453, thats what they were droping at.

alloy was just air cooled wheel weights. no frosted bullets.

i believe the hottest i took it to was 5.7 gr of unique.

i think before i shoot again i should probobly slug the bore...

Boolit Grand Master
    Run a snug patch thru the bore. leading will not remove easily, you will feel it. Loose flakes will show on the patch. The patch will easily remove the lube. Tis also makes it easy to see the leading if you look down the bore from the breech while looking at a light source.