RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle blow-up

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs down Rifle blow-up

Last Sunday a rifle bit the dust at the range.
    Sorry, no pictures.
    Seems there were three rifles of three different calibers being shot.
    30.06, 270, 308.
    Three boxes of ammo open on the bench.
    30.06, 270, 308.
    I'm guessing you know what happened.
    A 308 cannot be sized down to 270 without problems.
    OUCH!!!!

It seems like common sence to me to have only the box of ammo I'm shooting open on the bench.
    This way problems like this will not happen.

Well I shoot 45-70 and the kids shoot the Hornet. We never had those kind of problems.

Boolit Master
    "It seems like common sence to me to have only the box of ammo I'm shooting open on the bench.
    This way problems like this will not happen."

I agree. When I go to the range I usually bring more than one gun, I think many of us do, but I never have more than one gun and the proper ammo for it on the bench. It's too bad that you have no pics, I would post them at my range.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    A 308 cannot be sized down to 270 without problems.
    You can't trust that jacketed stuff. A lead boolit might have had a chance...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

Same thing happens when a FMJ 7.62X39 is shot in a 257 Roberts

Scratch 1 Remington Clasic

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master
    Several years ago a friend of a friend blew up a MK V Weatherby in .300 Weatherby by firing a .338 Win Mag through it. Same scenario -- sighting in two rifles, two boxes of ammo on the bench.

Be careful and pay attention.

Robert

Banned

Ouchee. Good warning. Same faux pas as having more than one can of powder on the bench.

Gear

They must also of had a hammer on the bench to chamber a 308 into a 270 or 30-06.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    After the range had closed for the day I was helping to clean up after some PIGS. I picked up a funny looking 270 win case. Not sure what MAGNUM the chamber was reamed for but it was a biggie. WOW the side of the brass was oval or pregnant. Boy someone was lucky was my comment. As I continued I found FOUR more of the same blown out cases. Some people sure are lucky, Stupid. The range master now has one on display, my son has one and I think there is still one around here somewhere.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep that's the same reason I don't take the 270 and the 243 to the Range at the same time anymore. The 270 produces a strange looking 243 empty case. My Son picked up the 270 rifle that is set up just like the 243 rifle ( twins ) and sent a 243 down range. Like a BB in a boxcar. I don't know how he managed to hit the target but he did. Luckly he had enough common sense to stop and say " hey Dad, this brass dosen't look right".

Sorry to hear about the blow-up and hope no one got hurt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    They must also of had a hammer on the bench to chamber a 308 into a 270 or 30-06.
    No hammer required, a .308 will drop right in, the last time I heard a variation of this was a .30-06 in a .270, which is still not a loading issue, since the .270 is slightly longer in the neck, that time the gun was not destroyed, amazingly.

.308 threw a .277 bore, now I call that a proof load.

Glad you walked away unhurt, I call that a plus,plus.
    Last edited by jerry_from_ct; 07-08-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Nothing here that can't be cured by being careful.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek

Don't Use Range Gunracks Either

One rifle and one caliber of ammo is an excellent rule, but don't put your rifle in a rack behind your bench. I once put my rebarreled Ruger 77 in .35 Whelen in such a rack. Next thing I knew was that the shooter next to me was astounded at the odd-looking .270 WCF empty he had just fired in "his" rifle. To bring off this feat of obliviousness, he had to ignore that "his" rifle had become two pounds heavier and two inches longer, and that "his" scope had become a Redfield Bear Cub 2 3/4X with very heavy plain crosshairs, instead of the 3-9X with duplex reticule he was used to. He was also scratching his head over his chronograph reading of 900 fps. No harm to the .35 Whelen barrel of course.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

I know someone who actually killed a deer with a .308 round accidentally chambered in a .270, with no harm to either the rifle or the shooter. Lucky shooter, very unlucky deer.

Man it sounds like them ranges are a dangerous place! I am so lucky to have my own place to shoot. I tried being generous with others but it did not work out well for me. 8>(
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Years ago I sold my cousin a Lee Enfield 303. Come hunting season he went to the Army and Navy store and asked for a box of 303 ammo. Up in the bush cousin runs onto two moose and opens fire form about 20 yards. 13!!-- yep thats right 13!! shots later both moose are down. Now I was about a 1/4 mile from where he shot the moose and from the sound I thought my BIL was shooting grouse with his 32 automatic insert in his 308 (he did that all the time even though we had requested he desist). Anyway---later, back at the cabin, we came to find out my cousin had been given 303 Savage ammo. I went back to the area the next day but could not find any empty casings. The thing that got me was the rifle did not malfunction (or worse) using those short cartridges.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

I needed a box of 7mm mauser one time.The girl handed me a box of 7mm Remington magnum,I told her these are not what I want,and told her again 7mm mauser.She stated that they will work.They are all the same if it says 7mm.I ask for the manager.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy

Wink

Hey Ray

I think your onto something there. That's why I never shoot anything but home grown boolits. I dont trust copper clad lab raised stuff. Too dangerous in my eye's. Not enough parenting and too much with the electronics these days.

I've been working down at the rumor mill now for 20 years and I can tell ya there aint nuthin like good old fashion home grown boolits. You know what your feeding your family that way.

West Creek

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    N ot too long ago I picked up 5 7mm Rem Mags w/Weatherby shoulders.

The guy at wally world the was thrilled to learn that his 30-30 cleaning kit would work w/his sks.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .