Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Dies sizing my .357 boolits down to .352 - .355

Dies sizing my .357 boolits down to .352 - .355

I found my leading issue with the 9mm to be caused by my Dillon sizing die. After removing a boolit, it measured a surprising .352!! I had noticed the hour-glass shape of the cartridges, but didn't think it was this bad.

I borrowed a Hornady sizing die from a friend. A pulled boolit revealed a measurement of .355. Still too small... and still causing leading. I shoot 130gr wheel weights at 1020fps. I know this is what's causing my leading, as I have changed and adjusted everything else. I shoot a EAA Witness with a polygonal barrel slugged at .356.

Does anyone else have/had the same issue?! Can the die be reamed or anything to size the brass a little bigger?

I only use as much crimp as needed for the cartridge to fall in and out of the chamber by itself.
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

Boolit Master
    Here is a thread that I posted up detailing the brass sizing die swaging down on the boolit (post #13 & #15):

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=120655

And yes, sizing dies these days are designed for jecketed bullets. Another question, have you slugged your barrel to know what the groove diameter is?

Boolit Master
    Don't overlook the expander and/or the seating die, as the source of your boolit swaging problem. Die modification is often required to keep a boolit at its desired diameter.

For what it's worth, I've found Lyman dies to be the most boolit friendly.