RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 scope thoughts

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I have sold and mounted at least hundreds of scopes and see a lot of misinformation that has been posted. Westcreek, Unless you are going to be shooting over 100 yards on a regular bases you don't need a AO scope. I also would not mount any scope meant for the larger caliber rifles for several reasons. The first and main thing is that all the adjustments are intended for large center-fire cartridges which is so different from any 22 made. First buy a one inch in diameter scope and not the 3/4 inch that is often sold for 22's. If you want one of the better scopes then buy a Leupold that they make for 22's. In this day and time you may find one of the less costly scopes that you like. The Mueller scopes have been given a good thumbs up as well as some that sell for $100 range. You don't need or want a 50mm 6-24 AO scope on a 22 LR. A 2-7 will do fine for most people. As was posted by another member all 22 scopes have the AO set at 75 yards and that is a good compromise. The biggest thing about any 22 is finding the ammo that it likes. You may have to try up to 10 types or more.

You have some good points and for most folks yea maybe a 2x7 would be fine but I have found the higher powers really are nice for seeing at longer distances and the target knob set up so you do not have to hold over is very nice. It also depends on your use a lot of Silhouette shooters use higher power scopes on their rifles.Mine is a 10x40 which is a lot of scope I probably could have gotten by with a 6x24 but I wanted one with a target dot and this scope had it for a reasonable price. Offhand it is taking some getting used to but at the bench it is great. For shooting longer distances with a 22 shooting a higher power scope really helps. This the first HIGH POWER scope I have ever owned before that the highest one was a 3x9. There is no comparison using the higher powers at a longer distance.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    You don't need or want a 50mm 6-24 AO scope on a 22 LR. A 2-7 will do fine for most people. As was posted by another member all 22 scopes have the AO set at 75 yards and that is a good compromise..
    i love my large magnification scopes on my range/target rifles. i can see my hits easily at 100 and beyond so have no need to break out the spotting scope.

Boolit Master

Although i have larger scopes on my 22 rifles and it takes away from there lines ! a 2x7 leupold size scope would IMO be perfict on a 22 rifle with the parralex reset .
    The reason i have those scopes on my rifles is i shoot my 22 rifles at varing distances from 25 to 200 yards .

Boolit Master

I think a huge scope takes away from the lines of ANY RIFLE. LOL But if your gonna shoot long distances with a 22 I have found a target scope with target knobs and a AO makes it much more easier and enjoyable.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Powerful scopes are only for small targets at any range, such as one boolit hole as a target. Must have AO. Target knobs are ideal. Otherwise pick a variable, so you can guess the range of the target by knowing the size of the target within the scope at full focus via AO. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 06-23-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    OK

I've been researching scopes on lines regarding costs as such. Leupold makes a rimfire scope 3-9x33 with AO that I might consider - it being the top end I think of everything. One option I think would be a good idea is the target knobs - particularly for elevation. So far My research is starting at the top and may trickle down depending on how my wallet feels before I purchase.

So this brings me to what to do. I've got a Browning A-bolt 22 that shoots pretty good. Had no problems shooting 1/2 group at 50 yards with my old K-4 on top. My Dad just purchased a Kimber CMP target rifle that he wants to play with. Him being 75 and not so good eye sight he wants to mount a scope on it. which is one of the reasons I started this adventure. He wanted to take the high power bla bla scope off my brothers 270 and mount it on his rifle to see how good he could shoot at 100 yards. I pointed out t would not fit with it's large objective lense and told him I would buy a scope (wanting one anyway for my 22 with no iron sights).

So here I am - 2 rifles and needing two scopes. I'm thinking I could get a top shelf taget scope to mount on dad's rifle and a more hunting type scope to mount on my rifle maybe something like the 2-7x28 Leupold. This giving me two tools - If I want to snipe ground squerrels at 100 yards or join in on the target shoot at a local club I could use Pop's Kimber with the target knobs and AO. Where Woods hunting squerrels I would carry the much more freindly browning without target knobs.

Now this also leaves me with mounting the scope. I have (I think) a good set of scope rings for my browning - being steel and pretty good quality. They are steel and of two piece construction and clamp onto the receiver grooves. I would expect to buy another set for dad's rifle but know not what to look for in rings. Also I have read in the reviews and other forum posts where folks will lap the rings. I'm pretty sure most folks don't go to that extreme. BUT - sometimes that's not me. If it is something worhtwhile I would look into it. Obviously the folks who recomend it think it is worth while but I do not know what benefit there is in lapping the mounts. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Boolit Master
    All of my .22's have their scopes mounted in Talley (screw-lock) rings. You might also look into the Burris rings that have the inserts that allow considerable flexibility in getting the scope centered. However, this should not be much of a problem with a .22 with a grooved receiver. Some center fires have holes for mounting the scope bases that are not in proper alignment. That's where lapping the scope rings comes into play.

Regards,

Tony

Boolit Master
    Take a look at the Weaver 2.5x7 RF scope. They sell for around $140 new. I have one as well as the Leupold 3x9 EFR ($400). The Leupold is the better scope but the Weaver is a solid value. For a sight on a .22 to be used for woods bumming you should be quite happy with it.

Tony

My old Springfield model 120 wears what I feel to be the ultimate 22 scope. It doesn't have any adjustable objective, or target knobs, it isn't even a variable. Nor does it have a pricey name. It's a 2.5x Norman Ford Texan with a dot reticle. The dot subtends less than a golf ball at 30 paces and it'll hit a squirrel in the head every time with its favorite ammo, Winchester copper clad 22s. The rifle isn't much to look at, you have to pull the cocking piece back before you fire it, it doesn't automatically chamber another round and you can forget about follow up shots. But its as effective and accurate a combination as can be found.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjones View Post
    Take a look at the Weaver 2.5x7 RF scope. They sell for around $140 new. I have one as well as the Leupold 3x9 EFR ($400). The Leupold is the better scope but the Weaver is a solid value. For a sight on a .22 to be used for woods bumming you should be quite happy with it.

Tony
    +1 on the Weaver variable. That's what I have on my 9422. I love the Leo's and Trijicon's on my centerfires but the Weaver give the most bang for the buck on a rimfire.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    If it is something worhtwhile I would look into it. Obviously the folks who recomend it think it is worth while but I do not know what benefit there is in lapping the mounts. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.
    I use a lot of Weaver mounts on my handguns. The reason you won't see a lot of hunters lapping scopes is because they haven't seen it done. I spend possibly 2 hours at most lapping a new set of rings and that includes cleanup. I do it so that my rings won't leave marks on the scope and so they will be true. I've only seen one set of Weaver rings that wasn't all that straight. It only takes off the edges so they don't dig into the scope and it allows a good solid fit, a tighter fit on the screws. You can pretty much pick the gun up by the scope without effecting anything. It's more permanent and you won't need to worry with the scope moving under recoil, it's down solid. It's really not that big a deal, just extra care put into the scope (it's a telescope, after all).

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    My old Springfield model 120 wears what I feel to be the ultimate 22 scope. It doesn't have any adjustable objective, or target knobs, it isn't even a variable. Nor does it have a pricey name. It's a 2.5x Norman Ford Texan with a dot reticle. The dot subtends less than a golf ball at 30 paces and it'll hit a squirrel in the head every time with its favorite ammo, Winchester copper clad 22s. The rifle isn't much to look at, you have to pull the cocking piece back before you fire it, it doesn't automatically chamber another round and you can forget about follow up shots. But its as effective and accurate a combination as can be found.

It all depends on what you want to use your 22 for. For hunting squirrels that sounds perfect but it would not be worth a darn for folks who want to shoot long distances and that is what the OP said out to a hundred yards. That old saying aim small shoot small Works better with a higher powered scope if your shooting at small targets. On the other hand a my 1.5 x 4.5 Weaver scope on my Marlin model 95 45/70 works great I shot a doe at 190 yards with it set to 4.5 power yet for closer distances in the woods the 1.5 is PERFECT.

Boolit Master
    I also would not mount any scope meant for the larger caliber rifles for several reasons. The first and main thing is that all the adjustments are intended for large center-fire cartridges which is so different from any 22 made.
    I'm confused, what adjustments are "different" for .22 than centerfires? Is a 1/4 minute no longer a 1/4 minute if it applied to a 22 tube?

1/4 MOA is always 1/4 MOA - Cajun Shooter may be thinking of BDC scopes
    (Bullet Drop compensator cams - little knob you dial elevation adjustment based on distance and the cam puts on the elevation correction for that dist.)

or reticules with marks for specific distances like Pentax's Ballistic Plex reticule
    Last edited by Artful; 06-27-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have BSA 3 X 9 made for the 22lr with 3 different elevation drums for different bullet weights. The drums are marked with yardages so if you can estimate range well or have a rangefinder you can set the drum to the range and pull the trigger. Works great.

Think it was $40 from the Sportsman's Guide plus shipping. Very bright optics, clear, has an AO. Only goes to 175 yards so beyond that you have to hold over.

The scope is a little heavier than a "normal" scope but if you shoot longer ranges it works well. Cabela's sells similar scopes and I have one for the 17HMR on my Savage.

You don't need AO unless you want to shoot small groups. Scopes intended for centerfire hunting rifles are set to be parallax-free at around 100 to 150 yards. Than means that if you aim at something 50 yards away, you will see the crosshairs move around on the target as you move your eye relative to the scope. If you don't hold your eye perfectly centered behind the scope, that is going to open up your groups. AO allows you to make an adjustment so that the crosshair stays in one place as you move your eye. That eliminates an important source of aiming error.

And who doesn't want to shoot small groups ;^)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    And who doesn't want to shoot small groups ;^)
    exactly I am shooting a 110 yards now {Silhouette} with no guessing crank the elevation up to my 110 yard setting adjust the AO and be on target. Before with a regular scope I had to guess hold over all the time if I did not want to mess with my closer range settings. Which is not as accurate as putting the crosshairs where you want to hit.

I'm thinking about buying a 36x power for my 22lr, most of the guys I shoot ARA with are using 36x or I think a couple are using 45x.

While I don't recall the scope power or cartridges I used, here is a link to 5 shot group at 50 yards using one of the Remington Model 5 rifles made in Bosnia by Zastava. Adjust the trigger on a Model 5 to a decent let-off and they will shoot!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8191640...in/photostream