Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Rossi 92 in 44mag.

Question Rossi 92 in 44mag.

I just got a rossi model 92 in 44 mag and was wondering which of the Lee 44 bullets would be best for it?The C429-240-SWC and C430-310-RF look good as hunting bullets and the 429-200-RF as a plinking bullet.The 4 powders i have to work with right now are IMR-4227,452-AA,C300 and Unique...

Thx
    Scotty,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01076 35c.JPG   DSC01077 35c.JPG   DSC01036 35c.JPG   DSC01044 bore.JPG  
    There's enough space for all God's creatures...Right next to the mashed potatoes!

Moderator Emeritus

I have an older Puma with the cougar medallion. It prefers gas checked molds. The Lee 310 heavy shoots well but not as good as a LY 429244. I use surplus WC820 exclusivly. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    That's a nice down-bore pic. I've never been able to do that well. How'd ya do it?
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    Mine definitely loves the Lyman 429244, but it also does pretty good with the Oregon Trail 310 grain WFN. I burn a lot of IMR-4227 in mine. My favorite load in my '92 is 429244 over 23.5 grains of 4227.

I'm not familiar with a powder named C300--what's that?

Mike

Scotty, How old is your Rossi and is it imported through LSI(Legacy Sports) PUMA? I also have a Rossi 92(LSI PUMA) chambered in 44Mag. Some of those Rossi's chambered in 44Mag are overbored. Mine slugged out at .432

I was getting terrible leading and poor accuracy(Lee 429-200-RF) until I got a custom mould (Ranch Dog TLC432-285-RF) and started shooting proper fitting cast bullets.

I would advise on slugging your bore if you havent already.

Old Ironsights, dont let the bore light overpower the pic( kinda like I done ). I forget if I had it set on macro or not but just try to get it focused and lined up. I bet that was alot of help huh?

Heres a pict of all the lead I had to get after those undersized (429-200-RF)cast boolits were lobed down the barrel.

[SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Scotty, nice pic of your bore by the way! You would happen to be in Greenwood Indiana would you?
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

The new Rossi's I have had in run between 429 and 431 in the bore and I usually size the bullets to 432 to get decent accuracy. By contrast the older Rossi's ran 428 in the bore and shot very well with 429 bullets. The 357's don't seem to have this problem and old or new they all seem to run right at 357. Kroil did a good job for me in taking the leading out, just wet the bore good, let it sit and swab it out with a brush.

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!
    I don't have a Rossi .44 (yet) but thanks for the info.....
    John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

I'm not sure how old my Rossi is so ill have to slug it and it was imported by Ruko of Canada in Ontario.I just got sum brass and two molds off a guy the other day one is a Lyman 429421 and the other is a Lee C429-240-SWC...

Scotty,
    There's enough space for all God's creatures...Right next to the mashed potatoes!