Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading with 2400

Loading with 2400

Does anyone have any experience with 2400? I am thinking about buying a pound for some mid-range loads for the 480 Ruger. At this point I'm not interested in top end loads, so it seems that 296, h110, and Lil Gun are pretty much out of the question. Are there any know issues wiht 2400? I will be using this during deer season, so I'm especially considered with any issues of temperature sensitivity.

Thanks for any help,

Branden

Boolit Master
    It worked o.k. for me, with 400 gr cast boolits.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

One of the best powders around. Use it for magnum pistol to HP rifle. Not a thing bad to say about 2400.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Great stuff that 2400 I buy it in 8 lb kegs and use it in all my 357Maximum, 357 magnum and 44 magnum loads and have taken two fine black bears and a lot of whitetails with that powder and I trust it to do the job always. I have never encountered any problems with 2400 over 35yrs of using it

Boolit Buddy
    I've used a lot of 2400 for over 25 years now. I use it in 44 Mag and 45 Colt from light to magnum and no problems. A very versatile powder.

I love 2400, I use it in my 45/70,45LC, and 357. I also use Trail Boss for light loads.

Matt
    "Draw Me Not Without reason, Sheath Me Not Without HONOR".

Have used 2400 in my 44 mag. for years. Both in handgun and rifle too.

The only problem I have with it is running out! When younger I read too much and got convinced it was too dirty. I discovered Blue Dot! As long as you are not looking for " powder puff" loads 2400 will do it for you.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

2400 works i like H110 too
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

2400 is a good powder for the kind of loads you are thinking about. I would stay away from ball powders in general for this use. H-4227 is one of Hodgdon's "extreme" powders, and might work well too. I haven't loaded for bores larger than .45 so take my opinions for what they are worth........ John Taffin took a bison with a load like that out of his .480, and he didn't recover the boolit, so you might research the loads he uses in his FA.

2400 will always be on my reloading bench. It is neither position or temperature sensative.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

Banned
    great stuff, putting together some .375 Win's using the old '50's Ideal/Lyman .38-55 specs.

17.0 grs 2400 over 250gr. cast..............

One virtue of 2400 is that it delivers fairly consistent velocities even with reduced loads. It will burn inefficiently at lower pressures, however, leaving a fair amount of unburned or partially burned kernels behind. It is a mistake to try to "fix" that with magnum primers, because using them would require an even further reduction of the 2400 load. Besides, Alliant says to use standard primers only with all their powders.

Banned
    Do use Firefox, NOT Internet Exploder, now that's funny

Boolit Master

2400 and Red Dot cover 99 percent of my reloading.
    Count me as a fan of both.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

Here's another vote for 2400. It's very versatile. It may leave your bore looking dirty but my big bore handguns clean up with just a pass or two with a dry wool swab. Alliant has a link that will show all of their recommended uses of 2400: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...spx?powderid=9

Mostly I use it for a .44 Mag Contender and a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt with cast boolits with excellent results. The powder was originally developed for the .22 Hornet which propelled the bullet at 2400 fps, giving it its name.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I have used it for 30 years and have had no problems. It works in any magnum handgun and my 32-20 loves it as well.

It was the first "magnum" powder I ever used. I started using it in the 357 and then the 44 magnum when most of my shooting compadres were using H110 or 296. I like the fact you can load below max and not get into trouble like you can with H110. A great powder, IMHO and one that's always around.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Grand Master
    2400 is maybe the most versatile powder in my cabinet. I don't use it for midrange revolver loads, but it gets A LOT of use in higher-end cast boolit revolver loads--cast boolit rifle loads--and 410 shotshells. I go through at least 1 eight-pound caddy per year.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Seriously good powder, I use it in 32-20 and 41 Rem Magnum. It's good and dependable, every 1/10th grain increase is there until you reach the point you know the load is too stout for what you want. It will be a much liked powder.
    Love that stuff.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton