RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Mihec 6 cav. H&G#68 Clone

Boolit Master

Opinions on the Mihec 6 cav. H&G#68 Clone

Hi,
    I was lucky enough to pick up one of these from a member here who had an extra for sale. I have been searching for some feed back on it. I saw a report from Lathesmith but nothing else. I was wondering if there were other owners who could give their opinions on this mold? Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Is the question about the H&G #68 design? Or the quality of Miha's molds?

I have that mold coming in HP, not here yet. But I have other molds from Miha and have no doubt this one will be exactly like the others, an incredible work of art.

I haven't found a semi-auto yet that #68 didn't shoot well and feed well from.

Does this answer your question?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Hi CBrick,
    Thanks for the info. I know that the H&G#68 is good to go a classic which this mold is suppose to be an exact copy of. I was wondering how people that actually owned this mold thought of it. I have the LEE 6 cav in their interpretation of this design just looking for feedback. Not alot of info to find and this was a group buy mold! Thanks again!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both the Mihec version in flat base and the Lee version in bevel base. Not a fair comparison. I find the flat base much easier to get good accuracy with. The Mihec mould I have is brass. It is heavy for a four cav. It is easily the easiest casting mould I have ever used. It is just plain magic.
    Get the mould, you will never, ever regret it. My 1911 likes it and so do I.

That answer your question?

Brad

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well... I appreciate the info but the mold I'm talking about is a six cav. aluminum mold and like you said the 4 cav. brass mold you have would probably be a little different in use! So I'm still waiting for people that actually have the Mihec 6 cav aluminum mold. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have a Mihec Al mould but the two brass ones I have are beautifully machined. I would not hesitate for a moment to buy one of his Al moulds.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a number of different Mihec molds, but not that particular one. All mine are very
    high quality and cast good boolits. ( I have a real H&G 68 mold, or I'd have bought one)

The design (H&G68) is a really good one, and Miha was supposed to be making a dead on
    copy. If he did his normal excellent work (and I'd be quite surprised if he did not) then you
    can't go wrong, should be a great quality mold in a great boolit design.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I have the 6 cavity H&G 68 clone made by Miha. It is easy to cast with, and you'll have a big pile of bullets in no time.

I don't have any complaints about the mold. As long as I preheat it, and keep my alloy (I almost always use wheel weights with a bit of tin added) around 650-700 degrees, everything is smooth sailing.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    i have 2 of mi hec 6cav al. h&g #68 molds. they cast grate bullets. i run both at the same time and wish i had a 3rd. one . mine has a bb and cast, lubes, loads, and shoots good.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate the good word. I was hoping even though the Lee 6-cav works ok that the Mihec would be a big step up and looks like it will be. Hope to get my mold later on this week. I wonder how many molds were made in that GB??? I might have been lucky to find one?

Boolit Master

I have one of the Mihec 6 cav aluminum 68's. Both the mold and the boolits work real well. I would not hesitate to buy one again. In fact, I have, many times. Only they're all brass now. All the better... enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Too funny, but Mihec's 68 clone in 6 cav alum was my very first mold! I love it! It casts GREAT (0nce I figured out how to put it together! - It WAS my first ever mold - don't ask!).

After I cleaned it up properly and put it together correctly - it is a dream to work with. And my old Thompson Auto Ord loves the bullet w/ 5 grns Bullseye. Puts em all in a ragged hole at 10 yds with base GI gun and sights.

You can't go wrong with this one. Prob the only 45 ACP boolit/mold I will ever cast.

Boolit Master

I have the 6 cavity Mihec H&G aluminum mold. When it came, it didn't close tightly. Left a little daylight in the center. Per Miha's suggestion, I baked it in the toaster oven(can't remember the temp) with the halves c-clamped together. This helped but in use the boolets still came out slightly oval. It wasn't out more than 001-.0015. When sized they are absolutely round and the groove is still deep enough to hold lube'

Since I'm no expert with a handgun(rifle either!), they work great. I'm still in on the 4 cavity brass GB that is going on now, just because.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Oscar !

That is officially cheating! Getting one of THE best molds ever made in one of
    THE best designs ever made as your FIRST MOLD! Definitely going to be pretty much
    downhill in all directions from that pinnacle!

Smart move, enjoy a wonderful piece of equipment and a great boolit.

Well done. Kinda like having Marilyn Monroe as your first date. . . . . . . going to be some
    dissappointments ahead.

Bill

Boolit Master

Who's Marilyn Monroe?

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't this Marilyn's birthday?

Big Dale

I have a H&G 68 only 2c but just right for me.

All my 1911's digest these boolits without a hiccup.

There is or was one on ebay for $399.00 that did not sell, wonder why
    Last edited by Huntducks; 10-07-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just KNEW some youngster would ask the "who is MM?" question. Couldn't readily
    think of some young good looker in current movies, just don't pay that much attention
    to movies anymore. Usually have ZERO idea who the latest gossip is talking about. XXXXXX went
    out and did such and such and I go "Who?"

I guess I should have said Angelina Jolie (SP?), at least I know who she is.

And actually, for the record, MM was dead when I was about 10 or 11, not even too interested
    in girls yet, just saw some old movies over the years.

As to the H&G 68 mold at $400 . . . . . . . . . . . WOW

Mine was maybe $120 and I thought I was overpaying then for a 4 cav. about 5 yrs ago.

Bill

Mtgun44

I'm with you on the young good lookers I have no clue who 90% of them are my wife LOL at me, and says if it had to do with hunting or guns you would know, what can I say i'm retired and so are a lot of my memory cells.

Ebay is ridiculous on H&G molds anymore, there a good mold but not that good, I sold #68 6c there maybe 2.5 years ago it went for like $145 all I could do was
    I think I bought it a couple year before for $20 matter of fact I sold all my larger 6c and up back then I had shoulder replacement and they were just to heavy to use.

If you have an old Ideal mold just write RARE in the description and you will get double for it.
    Last edited by Huntducks; 06-02-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just ran a pot full (RCBS pot - 21# of finished bullets) from my Mihec six cavity H&G #68 clone bullet mould. It took me all of 1.0 hour of actual casting time.

I finished up sizing and lubing them last evening. I exactly TWO rejects. All of the rest are match quality bullets. My alloy is WW's with 2% tin.

When I first received the mould, after the mould was running well, I set aside one mould full of bullets. The six bullets mic'ed within .0002" of an inch of being round (that is NO misprint - 2/ten thousandths). They weighed plus or minus .2 (two tenths) of a grain between all six. I have NEVER had a mould that cast bullets that close in multi-cavities. Here is a case where aluminum shines. Six cavity iron moulds are too heavy for me to enjoy any more. However, the six cavity aluminum is a joy to use.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53