RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips to easily fit Lyman 450 die nut??

Boolit Buddy

Cool Any tips to easily fit Lyman 450 die nut??

Hi Guys,

I have three 450's, one is an absolute bear to change dies over as the nut is so difficult to get started. As the threads are so fine I worry about cross-threading if I put too much down pressure on it. Does anyone have any tips to help?

I've never used a 450, but on a 4500, I find it useful to put the nut on the die first & then push the pair into the sizer body. That seems to help me keep things straight. I seem to recall people telling me that the 450 & 4500 are pretty similar.

You aren't kidding when you say those threads are fine. I have no idea why they chose to make them that way.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

I lube the rubber O-ring , then install the nut on it before inserting it into the sizer body .

Remove the top punch, insert the die until it touches the body , use the ram to apply very slight pressure , it`ll apply even pressure squarely around the nut , more or less to hold it square on the die .

It also helps if ya use a very stiff lube to warm things up so the lube does`nt interfer with fit .
    GP100man

Boolit Bub
    i put the wrench on the nut, lower the ram so it has evenly presses on the nut and start to screw the nut down, and you can lift the wrench and pivot it on the ram, easiest way i have done it..

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Another vote for putting the nut on the die and then installing.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GP100man View Post
    I lube the rubber O-ring , then install the nut on it before inserting it into the sizer body .

Remove the top punch, insert the die until it touches the body , use the ram to apply very slight pressure , it`ll apply even pressure squarely around the nut , more or less to hold it square on the die .

It also helps if ya use a very stiff lube to warm things up so the lube does`nt interfer with fit .
    Using the ram toapply slight pressure and square it up, is the key.
    CRASH87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Boolit Grand Master

For something like this I usually I usually put the nut on it and turn it backwards like you are unscrewing it. That helps line it up and then I screw it in by hand to get started. A little lube would probably help too. When I was a youngster, I had a bad habit of cross threading and over tightening things and stripping out threads.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I backed up the nut on my 450 until it dropped down. I put a file mark on it that lined up with the center of the sizer body. Now I know where the threads will start to engage each other. Then, as others have said, put even pressure on the nut and start tightening slowly. I also found that it helps to clean the threads both on the nub and the sizer body before starting to install the die.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Moderator Emeritus

all good suggestions above,
    I think adding heat and starting with fingers instead of wrench is what works for me.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I created a witness mark, not un-like C. F. Plinker, except I used a center punch.

I use a little heat to make sure the lube is soft and use the ram without the top punch to push the die with top nut on it, start with fingers to make sure the thread is started correctly then use the ram on the nut with the nut wrench (but I cut the lug off the die wrench). I keep the ram with LIGHT pressure to make sure there is no back pressure from the lube to cause a sudden strip. With the lube warmed, as soon as the nut firms it is tight enough.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    I find that heating the nut kind of melts the lube that is on the threads(in the body of the press) ....works for me.

When changing dies I get off all the old lube that may have accumulated on the threads and clean it with Kroil Oil, wipe the female threads with the same. I'm very cautions about cross threading and put the nut on with the die and turn in very carefully with two fingers. If any resistance, I back off and try again. I'm going to try using the ram approach as that sounds like a good idea.

Boolit Buddy
    I had this problem for years but finally hit upon a solution that works for me. With the old die out and before putting the new die in, screw the nut in the hole. Without the die in the sizer it is easy to get it to align itself and only takes a minute to screw it in and then back out. This cleans enough of the lube out of the threads so that after you put the next sizing die in (pressed in with the ram - no nose punch), the nut can align, catch the threads easily and screws in with very little effort. I had 2 450's and 2 4500's at the time and seemed to always be changing out pistol and rifle dies. I sold both of the 450's, but still have the 4500's, and just this one extra small step seemed to take most of the hassle out of the change - over.

Steve

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    all good suggestions above,
    I think adding heat and starting with fingers instead of wrench is what works for me.
    Jon
    Thats what I usually do. I've always been concerned about cross threading and using only finger pressure is the best way I have of being sure I don't.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. The last 450 I picked up for $50.00 off a mate, has, I just discovered a nut with a few flattened threads. The main body seems OK so it looks like that is my issue. But whilst discovering this I did take heed of the advise given and a little 3-in-1 oil after cleannig threads on both unit and nut worked a treat just with finger pressure. Thanks Von Gruff I will take that lug off one of my wrenchs and also try your method.
    I was in your neck of the woods week before last and i must say I do miss the beauty of the South Island in autaum. I am a Cantaberian living in the land of lattes.

Boolit Master

I heat up the lube for a little bit, then "Using the ram to apply slight pressure and square it up, is the key", turn slowly and don't over-tighten, as was said.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master
    Pressure on the die and nut. As already stated cleaning up the threads with Hoppes or Ed's Red works well also. Heating the area with a heat gun or hair dryer speeds up the cleaning process.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Whenever I do a die change I take the old die out of the unit, pull the nut off of it, and put them both well searated on an old piece of newspaper. I then heat them both intel the lube melts off of them with my trusty Harbor Freight heat gun. With no lube on the die - or the nut - everything goes back in very easily.

As others have mentioned: use the ram pulled down lightly to help align the new die and the nut into the sizer.

With no sticky lube on anything, all goes together well.

Boolit Master
    I just beat it in with a hammer.