Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: bbl not bl or brl?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierlogger View Post
    Well on cars with a carburetor they will refer to a 2 barrel carb as a 2v and a 4 barrel as a 4v.

Can somebody explain that?
    Hi, v = venturi

Quote Originally Posted by secondshooter View Post
    Hi, v = venturi
    Drats, there is one in every crowd. LOL I never made the connection.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Buddy
    I always thought bbl stood for barrel blank but then I never understood why it got used everywhere. So I'm with the OP on this one

Banned

Actually if you read the comments on the blue barrel explanation, there is a link with documentation showing it abbreviated bbl as far back as 1756.

http://www.sizes.com/units/barrel_abbr.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I always thought BBL meant "Big Boned Lady"? Maybe I should spend more time here and less in Craigslist's "Strange seeking kinky" section.

as for why "pages" is referred to as "pp", it is rather simple if you apply a little math. 1 page = P, 2 pages = P P or simply PP.

Geez, all this talk about pp... I gotta go hit the little boys room. :takinWiz:

PS - my apologies for the potty talk.

In Remembrance
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

Its not that this is the only thing I have to worry about. But its like that mosquito that starts buzzing in your ear when you are trying to do something important, Its not important and doesn't effect the outcome of your life one way or the other, but then one day, you decide that its freaking going to die. Die annoying pestilence die!!!! one day you break from your serenity to run all over the house swatting at the little bugger like a mad man, or you might sit down and ask a question that makes people think about what they are writing and point out ever so gently that our barrels may be blued but they do not hold 40-something gallons of anything. It might just occur to someone that some dummy 50 years ago, who happened to work around blue barrels of toxic waste or something, brought his shipyard jargon and wrote an article in Rifleman, or something and like sheep we will faithfully follow in his footsteps for the rest of our lives.
    So anyway, it was bugging me but I feel that now I have a better handle on things, understanding that some things people do are just stupid.
    After that explanation of blue plastic shipping containers, I totally understand how that applies to firearms, the connection is huge! how did I miss this before.
    Heck with it I'm done.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Missed your meds again, didn't you?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    venturi?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierlogger View Post
    Well on cars with a carburetor they will refer to a 2 barrel carb as a 2v and a 4 barrel as a 4v.

Can somebody explain that?
    The "V" you refer to is for Venturi the number of which is the same as the number of "barrels" you describe those anachronistic devices with.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    Mine is using the word clip to denote a magazine.
    That makes two of us.

My peeve is when people say "heads" or "pill" instead of bullet (or "boolit", but that's different can of worms).

I think I need to increase my medication...
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I don't know? Why is a dog called & dog & not a cat?
    Cuz ya cant say cat for dog and dog for cat cause it dont rime. Ya cant say dog-scan or catgonit!

I always thought bbl was a typo or a stutter! A bullet to denote a cartridge is getting serious. And 'quad bike'? A four wheeled, two wheeler?!

PP stands for paper. Either that or it's a typo for pg.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Smile

Cuz bbl just comes naturally to oilfield trash such as I.

Well here, I'll give you something else to worry about. Why do people use "data" as a singular noun? The only time this is correct is when speaking of Mr. Data, the officer on Star Trek TNG. The singular form is "datum."

It's easy to know intuitively whether the word is used correctly; just replace data with numbers, or datum with number.

Correct: The data are important./The numbers are important.
    Incorrect: The data is important./The numbers is important.

When ignorant people like newspaper or TV reporters make this mistake it doesn't bother me. It's when intelligent, well-educated folks like bullet casters and gun writers do it that I'm concerned. We should know better.

Take care, Tom

I can't help correcting people who call a "cartridge" a "bullet". For no logical reason, it forces me to launch a lengthy explanation of primers and cases every single time. I feel your pain(s).

Boolit Buddy
    Enbloc magazine?

Boolit Master
    Mossy Nugget, I do the same. When they come into my man cave and look at the loaded cartridges they say - look at all those bullets. I point to my loading bench where the bullets are stored and say, "No, THOSE are the bullets. What you're looking at are cartridges." Then I explain, hit a primer with a hammer, burn a little powder, etc.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Mis used words

When I was working in a gun store in the early 70's, I had a co worker that was for the proper use of what things are called. We would always have customers come in and ask for a box of 38 bullets. Bill would go to the reloading section and pick up a box of bullets and put them on the counter in front of the customer. With the difference in box sizes the customer would always pick up the box of bullets and read the label. They would say, Sir I believe you gave me the wrong thing. Well that started Bill off on his normal rampage. He would always start by stating, No Sir I did not give you the wrong thing. You requested a box of 38 bullets and that is what you received. Now if you perhaps need some 38 special ammunition I have that also. You have to know the correct terminology if you are in gun store. He would then show the customer a bullet board and explain the difference between the two. I would do the same when asked for a Colt 45ACP clip. I would always give them moon clips first and look at the weird looking face they had as they looked at them. My favorite and I just posted on this a few days ago is the 45 Long Colt. They have no such cartridge or firearm to use it in. Show me a box of factory 45 Long ColT ammunition or a firearm with that stamped on it. I have heard all the reasons for it but not a single one is correct in a historical manner. Even well known gun writers show how much they know about firearms history when they call it the Long Colt. Later
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

PP stands for paper. Either that or it's a typo for pg.
    My computer ribbon never seems to run out of ink so I simply add the proper letters so people know what it is I am talking about.
    I do not expect people to be able to read my mind so I try too NOT be lazy and use abbreviations and acronyms.

The people that have been on here for a long time know them all but when they use them, it makes it difficult for the new guys that are trying to learn. When one exspurt is talking to another, many of use would appreciate it, if he would remember that new people are trying to read it, and learn what he is typing about, also.