WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: neck expander?

neck expander?

Do you need to use a neck expander if your using a gas check?
    Using lee .309 molds for 30 30 and win brass. 113 and 150 pills.
    thanks
    john

I use a neck expander for everything with a bottle neck that I load in cast both with or with out GC's. It gives me the ability to match the final neck ID to the boolit I'm using. It also give a slight flare to the case that allows for easier and straighter seating.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Master

Talking

I would say yes! Loading dies as manufactured today are made for jacketed bullets and jacketed bullet diameters. Example when loading a 308 Win with jacketed bullets every thing is made for a .308" diameter bullet but your cast bullet is measuring .309" to .310" or .001" to .002" larger.
    What happens when you don't use a case neck expander is the force required to seat the bullet is greater causing run out of your loaded ammo and you could even have troubles chambering it. If expander's were not needed or just did only so so for accuracy and reliability they would not have been designed. The Lyman M-die is highly recommended more then any other brand and is what I use other then a modified version of it.

Boolit Master
    I use the M-die for every cartridge. The fact that it incorporates the expanded step versus just a flared mouth makes for correct bullet-to-mouth alignment and improves accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

It is one of the only ways to insure that the boolit will not be swaged when seating it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

Yes.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

leadchucker, welcome to Castboolits,

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is absolutely and for all the reasons listed above.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Thanks guys for your informative comments, seems like lm on a steep learning curve at the moment but enjoying it. Better get a 30 cal expander then.
    cheers john

Boolit Master
    Good advice above! You also might want to stop using medication (pills) and try using bullets (or boolits, if you will) instead. Sorry--couldnt resist. LOL
    R.D.M.

As an after thought, using a case neck expander is a necessity for the way I load. I've pulled all the decapping pins from my sizing dies. I deprime as a first step before tumbling the brass to clean the range off of it. I also don't like the "feel" of the expander ball being pulled back threw the neck on the way out. I'm sure that it is just in my head but it greats on my that the added pull will somehow stretch the brass slightly in the neck. (Kinda like the chalk board thing.)

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Master

"M" dies are your friend. Get some you will be glad you did.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nora View Post
    I also don't like the "feel" of the expander ball being pulled back threw the neck on the way out.
    +1. With rifle cartridges, I do away with the expander ball and control the ID of my necks by using a bushing die. This results in my brass not being overworked. My Type M die is then used to provide the "step" for easy bullet seating.

Don

All straight wall cases always get the mouths flared, with cast (with or without GC) and jacketed bullets, to keep the case from crumpling. I always flare the case mouths on all bottleneck cartridges that will be loaded with cast bullets.
    Jacketed bullets in bottleneck cases do not usually need flaring.
    I use the Lee universal expanding die, and I love it. It's a little mis-named though: it doesn't really "expand" the neck , it flares the case mouth enough to ease bullets entering the case for seating.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman