MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: New Lee Molds

New Lee Molds

I saw the 2007 Lee catalog today and they are replacing the single cavity molds with two cavity molds. So all the single cavity rifle molds will now be two cavity. I have not see these new molds in person, but I am hoping that they are more like the six cavity molds. The only new bullet design I saw was a 125 grain 9mm.

Super Moderator

................Two cavity moulds will be a great improvement over the SC's in my book. And yes it would be great if they were constructed like the 6 cav's.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    I'd rather they kept the single cavity - it saves having to sort the bullets by cavity to get best accuracy.

In Remembrance
    That means the single cavity moulds will soon be collectors items. Just wish I had one which leaves a backward 'N' on the bullet...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Well I saw one of the new two cavity rifle molds and it is built just like the single cavity but bigger.

Boolit Master

upside down Lee

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    That means the single cavity moulds will soon be collectors items. Just wish I had one which leaves a backward 'N' on the bullet...
    CM
    Hey Montana,
    I have an upside down marked Lee mold I could let ya have for a couple c-notes..could probably get that on E-bay..

Boolit Master

new Lee Molds

Quote Originally Posted by SGD View Post
    I saw the 2007 Lee catalog today and they are replacing the single cavity molds with two cavity molds.
    I remember thinking that they made new 2-cavity molds but when you look, they are still just single cavity. Tell me I am wrong please! Would love having a 2-cavity 150 and 170 grainer.
    Last edited by Newtire; 12-18-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Banned

I see the same old mold chart on their website with single rifle molds..

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Tell me I am wrong please! Would love having a 2-cavity 150 and 170 grainer.
    You are wrong. First I do not know any gun industry web sight that gets updated until late first quarter. Second I held in my hands a two cavity 459-500-3R.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=214596

Yes I know the picture has not been updated, but the description is correct. Lee will start shipping the two cavity molds as they run out of the single cavitys. I do not know how long it will take before all the single cavitys will be switched over to the two cavity.

Boolit Grand Master
    THAT would be a significant upgrade to the Lee mold product line. I have always been curious why Lee persisted in only doing the single cavity rifle designs for so long.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to see 180 and 200 grain flat points in a .309 double cavity mold. I shouldn't ever need anything more heavy in .30 cal. My c309-170rf casts at about 175 grains and shoots beter than I do. If this is for real, I sure hope midway carries them. Has anyone called Lee yet, just to be sure?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tom barthel View Post
    I would like to see 180 and 200 grain flat points in a .309 double cavity mold.
    I wish they would bring back the C309-190-F (or was it -FN?).

In Remebrance

As it happens I've been reading the archives from the old Shooters.com site. Lee coming out with 2 cavity moulds was mentioned in 2002. Almost 5 years later they arrive. I hope they never mention improving quality, that'll take even longer.

Boolit Master

190 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot_again View Post
    I wish they would bring back the C309-190-F (or was it -FN?).
    That's a real great bullet. Just would make way too much sense! If anyone gets one of those 2-cavity ones, could you post a picture? I clicked on the midway link and it says 2-cavity but only shows a single.

Boolit Master
    single cavity moulds are better (IMHO) for an accuracy seeker. Accuracy is all about eliminating shooter/load variables. Any of you own any two cavity moulds that produce identical weight and dimension boolits?

me either,

Rich

Boolit Grand Master
    Idaho, you always have the option of using a single cavity in a two cavity mould, and it is possible to make a small mark on the nose of the bullet cavity that easily distinguishes one bullet from another. Harms accuracy not one bit. I have a number of two cavity moulds that show no accuracy difference between cavities. Yes, these are rifle calibers.

Single cavity are so godawful slow that I can't see much use for the things unless it's a competition type mould. Mass produced double cavities are fine, and a mass produced single cavity holds no advantage over them.

Only caliber I can tolerate in a single cavity is something like the .45 caliber rifle. At least you're getting a lot of lead for every tedious single cavity cast.

Boolit Master
    It's twu! I saw it on the updated Lee site with the 2-cavity moulds. Gotta get me a 170 and a 200 grainer now! Another $50.00! Oh well, life is short so why not!