MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: wheel weights/linotype mixed with pure led

Boolit Bub

wheel weights/linotype mixed with pure led

Any of you guys mix this to make lino or ww a little softer? I have about 200 pounds of lino and 100 or so of ww. Was wanting to mix some pure lead to make it last longer....can I mix it 50/50?

Boolit Grand Master
    mix 50/50 pure and lino get hardball
    rite around 16 bhn
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    mix 50/50 pure and lino get hardball
    rite around 16 bhn
    Yep. Adding lino to ww makes the ww alloy harder, so I don't see the need there. A 50/50 lino lead is in the 14-16BHN, water drop to get them harder.

Boolit Master
    A lot of people mix WW & pure in a 50/50 mix too. Works well in most pistol calibers.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    A lot of people mix WW & pure in a 50/50 mix too. Works well in most pistol calibers.
    It's probably what I shoot most in my 45acp.

thanks for the insights on mixing, have been trying to come up with a good mix . have researched Adding Antimony/Tin and/or hard ball mix for adding hardness but am trying to do it on the Cheap and everything i read about Antimony nothing seems to be written in lay mans terms for easy to follow directions plus i need to find a source for antimony . i have only a couple hundred pounds of WW but have pure lead and Range lead coming out of my ears right now 1000# plus pounds .

Boolit Master
    You'll need to supply what gun you plan to shoot it in, along with powder and velocity along with lube.

If your looking for a generic alloy to shoot in everything then clip-on ww alloy is tough to beat.

If you want to KNOW what your doing I would suggest going to the lasc.us website and read Cast Bullet Notes or read the stickies on this site. You'll be Einstein by the end of your reading. Mostly from the pulled hair and lack of sleep.

Good Luck

Boolit Master

I'm hearing lots about lino and antimony and "we need it hard"... We don't know what you're shooting this in or velocities. I can tell you this - I shoot WW's and softer lead 50/50 and it works well. Also, straight WW's is fine, right up to some rifle velocities. We don't need it necessarily hard - we need it to fit. Generally, that's what works. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin