RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look what followed me home!

Look what followed me home!

Can, I keep it, Ma? Please!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dragoon.jpg  

Nice, looks like a Uberti Dragoon?

You will have fun with that. Stock up on black powder!

Boolit Master
    Nice
    Alright you can keep it
    But your going to have to feed it and clean up after it

Boolit Master

By God, that's a Colt's Dragoon!

Nice!
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

Slick!
    Makes a good conversion also.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings and Congradulations !
    Nice copy of a BP magnum handgun.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

If you feed it and show it affection it will bond with you and defend you.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wellfedirishman View Post
    Nice, looks like a Uberti Dragoon?
    You will have fun with that. Stock up on black powder!
    Yep. Uberti.

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Nice
    Alright you can keep it
    But your going to have to feed it and clean up after it
    Not a problem, Mom. I've got plenty of what it eats already.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    By God, that's a Colt's Dragoon!

Nice!
    That's right, Little Sister!
    Tom Chaney don't stand a chance!

A little history......
    I've been in love with this gun since I was in the fourth grade and a neighbor kid loaned me a big fat book full of gun pictures and the history of firearms, going all the way back to the invention of gunpowder.
    The cap and balls had me thunderstruck.
    There was a double page spread of the most famous; the 2nd Dragoon with it's squareback trigger guard had me smitten the first time I saw it. I told myself I'd own one some day. (Yeah, right....)
    I've been adding to my C&B collection bit by bit, and then the other day this thing found me. New in box, never fired. At a great price, I might add!
    Now, I've been saving up for one for over a year, but every time I'd have enough saved up, my car would find out, and....well, you know.
    So when this one came a-knockin', I jumped.
    And I don't even feel guilty!
    The first night I had it (last Friday) I completely disassembled it, cleaned, polished, buffed and oiled, (and every other thing you could imagine) this jewel until the brass shone like 14k gold and the finish sparkled. I polished the hammer, and trigger/sear assemblies and the difference was night-and-day. And the action was great before I started! After I put it all back together it looked like a different gun.
    Can't wait to try this thing out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dragoon 1.jpg   Dragoon 2.jpg   Dragoon 3.jpg   Dragoon 4.jpg   Dragoon 5.jpg  

"I've been in love with this gun since I was in the fourth grade and a neighbor kid loaned me a big fat book full of gun pictures and the history of firearms, going all the way back to the invention of gunpowder. The cap and balls had me thunderstruck."

Capt. Kirk, I share your love of C & B revolvers. My fascination with them began in the early 1950's when Kellog's "Sugar Pops" cartons had "photos" and descriptions of several Dragoon types on the back. Also, our high school American History text had drawings of them, which further intrigued me. In the early '60's Revell offered a plastic kit of the 1851 Colt's Navy*, which I put together, and was ecstatic. Fast forward to 1970 when I got a repro. of that pistol that I really liked, but later traded away. Today I have a Euroarms 1858 NM Army (.451" RB) and a Ruger OM Army (.457" RB) and enjoy shooting them a great deal. Both are accurate, but the edge goes to the latter (better sights). In fact, the Ruger is as accurate as my BH & SBH.

Live long & prosper!

*It could be cocked and the loading lever operated, but I don't remember whether the cylinder rotated upon cocking.

I don't particularly recall the Kellogg's cereal boxes, but I wish I had a few of them!
    Goes along with my theory that it doesn't take much...good OR bad...to influence a young, impressionable mind.
    Of course today, those cereal boxes would be as un-PC as The Lone Ranger or Roy Rogers popping off a shot at a bad guy. Geez; for my seventh birthday I got a complete cowboy rig; hat, chaps, boots, and a double-holster rig with two staghorn- handled Colt .45's (and a super-size box of roll caps!) and I'm told I didn't take it off except for school and/or Cub Scouts until I was eight!
    Now days I'd probably have to visit the elementary school shrink for an eval......
    Sigh...we sure live in a different time these days.
    And as for that school shrink.....:takinWiz:

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Captain*Kirk View Post
    I don't particularly recall the Kellogg's cereal boxes, but I wish I had a few of them!
    Goes along with my theory that it doesn't take much...good OR bad...to influence a young, impressionable mind.
    Of course today, those cereal boxes would be as un-PC as The Lone Ranger or Roy Rogers popping off a shot at a bad guy. Geez; for my seventh birthday I got a complete cowboy rig; hat, chaps, boots, and a double-holster rig with two staghorn- handled Colt .45's (and a super-size box of roll caps!) and I'm told I didn't take it off except for school and/or Cub Scouts until I was eight!
    Now days I'd probably have to visit the elementary school shrink for an eval......
    Sigh...we sure live in a different time these days.
    And as for that school shrink.....:takinWiz:
    I think those boxes were a bit before my time, or I'd have eaten nothing else. IIRC I went through three braces of sixguns as a child.

"The past is another country, they do things differently there", because there were books about guns in our elementary school library , and I checked out little else except books about cowboys and soldiers. Today I would be marked as a dangerous child.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

When it was following you home, was it kicking and screaming the whole way?
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Bub

NO, you may not keep it! I'll PM you may address so it can be properly disposed of..

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    When it was following you home, was it kicking and screaming the whole way?
    Nope. Durn near pulled my arm outta the socket tugging on the leash....

Quote Originally Posted by byronw999 View Post
    NO, you may not keep it! I'll PM you may address so it can be properly disposed of..
    Too late, Ma. We bonded.....
    Besides, I don't need to sleep with the light on any more.
    (Good night, l'il cowboy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    I think those boxes were a bit before my time, or I'd have eaten nothing else. IIRC I went through three braces of sixguns as a child.

"The past is another country, they do things differently there", because there were books about guns in our elementary school library , and I checked out little else except books about cowboys and soldiers. Today I would be marked as a dangerous child.
    Yup, me too.
    My dad once cut me a gun out of wood on the band saw, painted it silver, and wrapped the grip with black friction tape after I broke one of my "Colts". It looked pretty real. Now, THAT, folks, is parenting!

He also signed me up for the local NRA rifle club at 10, after much persistent nagging, so I could make some real .22 smoke.

And as for the school library, plenty of gun books. We weren't ashamed of our history, then.
    Last edited by Captain*Kirk; 02-27-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Banned

What a beautiful little darling. You made me very envious. I hope you get lots of fun out of it. Wouldn't it be nifty to have one of those blasters as a concealed carry? The mere sight of it would send the mopes scurrying like cockaroches.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalrymedic View Post
    What a beautiful little darling. You made me very envious. I hope you get lots of fun out of it. Wouldn't it be nifty to have one of those blasters as a concealed carry? The mere sight of it would send the mopes scurrying like cockaroches.
    "Concealed Carry?"
    You'd have better luck concealing a buffalo! LOL!
    But, yup, it would be fun to watch 'em run!
    (You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?)

I will promise to have fun with it. The previous owner was in poor health and never got to shoot it.

To steal a quote from Cherry Valance (John Ireland) in "Red River":
    "I haven't any such intentions"