RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Luber opinions

Boolit Bub
    South Central, FL. In the Middle of the WOODZ!!!

Luber opinions

Guys, Im tired of using alox with bullets, and Im ready to buy a stick lubing press/sizer like the lyman 450. My question is whats the best brand/model to get for a home user maybe doing 500-1000 bullets a month, and why? Also if there anyone that wants to part with one at a decent price that they are not using please PM me...Much appreciated. Cheers, BR
    Ona, FL

Boolit Grand Master
    For that volume, especially if it is for handgun, go with a Star. You can do that volume with a Lyman or RCBS but it will not be easy.

A Star, to me, is a volume shooters tool. I use mine for handgun. For most of my rifle bullets I still use my Lyman. The Lyman served me well for many years. I got the Star when I started to shoot more pistol cartridge lever actions.

The Lyman and RCBS work very well. So does the Star. It comes down to what you want it do do, how much you want to pay, and a few other factors. It becomes a matter of personal preference.

Brad

Boolit Bub
    Mostly will be doing rifle boolits if that matters at all. Not really going for volume as much as quality.
    Ona, FL

Boolit Master
    For pistol boolits a Lyman is OK. You will need a heater if you use a hard lube, I see you are from FLA so one may not be necessary. The Lyman and to a lesser extent the RCBS LAM have a problem with the longer rifle boolits due to the geometry of the ram at the upper limits of their travel. Mine were actually getting bent. If you plan to expand eventually and increase quantity go with the Star. My Star has a problem with 'pointy' rifle boolits too, using one boolit to push the other through flattens them so I use short piece of brass rod to push them through. Each have their strengths and failings. Still, the Star would be my choice.

P.S. if you get the Star and need a heater, get the Lyman heater sold at Midway or such, as it is drilled and tapped for it, and the Star heater is a lot more money, but the Star heater is controllable.
    Last edited by wallenba; 02-07-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master

A Star sizer is a wonderful piece of machinery, and I always wanted one, but could never justify it's cost.

I bought my Lyman over 30 years ago and have replaced the toggle twice and added a heater along the way. It is the only sizer that I own and although I no longer compete in shooting games I had no problem sizing 500+ boolits in an evening. I agree that if you have to so some serious sizing on a long rifle bullet it may bend it. In those cases I will use a push through for initial sizing and my lyman to lube it.

On average I shoot about 500 rounds a month now. When I get bored I'll go and size bullets and stack them in trays.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Best? I don't know, I like the Lyman I have just fine. I have heard pros and cons about every one of the sizers out there. The Saeco takes Saeco dies only, but I have people swear it is the best sizer out there. The RCBS and Lyman use interchangeable sizer dies and there are quite a few on the used market. If I were you, I would buy a Lyman 450 used on ebone and use it, if you outgrow it, you would be able to sell it for what you paid for it and possibly more.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Hands down the Star/Magma is the way to go. Cost? For what, $100 more than a new Lyman, it's easily worth that in time saved & after adding the cost of diff top punches for the Lyman (Star sizes nose first if you like) the cost diff is even less. The only issue, it's easier to seat gas checks on a Lyman or RCBS, but can be done on the Star.

I don't have a star, but I do have 3 lymans. I bought my first two used and my third one new from midway with a heater. During the summer I shoot around 1000 rounds a month between CAS, IHMSA, and various IDPA style shoots. I don't have a problem sizing that many rounds. Set up your sizer for one bullet and when you get the free time just size a few at a time. Hey half hour before scheduled nightly death, cool you can find me in the reloading room.

I will admit that for CAS and IDPA I do use a hornady progressive LNL to load all the ammo.

Boolit Master

This is my simple rule. If you reload on a single stage press then buy a Lyman/RCBS sizer. If you really like/need your progressive reloader, go with a Star. Not a hard and fast rule but it works most of the time.

Boolit Master
    Star. Don't waste you time on a Lyman.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I’ve a Lyman 4500 an RCBS and two Stars. For rifle bullets I mostly use my Lyman.
    My RCBS is filled with BP lube. To run gas check rifle bullets through a Star with any production you need the check to be able to snap over the bullet base shank by hand. Seams most of my rifle bullets need the gas check seating tool for the Lyman to force the check onto the shank. I have with a 180 grain flat nose 30 calibers run the bullets over the Lyman to seat checks then set up the Star to finish sizing and lubing. Long bullets like 311299 won’t start aligned down a Star die as the previous bullet stops them before the nose gets lined up. Not sure how wallenba makes it work pushing the bullet out with a rod. I’d think lube would be running out as soon as the bullet left the die.

If I was looking for a rifle bullet sizer I’d give a serious look at the Saeco. Although I’ve never run one they look good. With a drawer full of RCBS/ Lyman size dies I’m entrenched. Between the Lyman 4500 and RCBS the RCBS seams far more robustly built.

When you’ve a bullet that works through a Star they are at least three times faster and a little more than half the work. I’ve a couple gas check bullets I can run nice in the Star. Dropping the bullet in the die it holds the bullet while I set on a gas check. Real nice when you can get it all to work out.

In Remembrance
    The only way I'll size and seat gas checks for my rifle boolits is with a push-through die, either by Lee or one of our fine machinists here on the forum.

I'll then lube them in one of the Lyman 45's using a die that is .001 oversized so that there is no sizing, only lubing.

I do NOT like the nose of my rifle boolits having any inertia put on them. The lubing process (lubing only) using an oversized die places no stress on the boolit.

But for the volume you're doing, a Star would probably be your wisest investment.

Boolit Bub
    Well thanks for your opinions guys. I think the majority here is saying go ahead and find a star, so i think I may do that. If I run across a good deal on a lyman I may jump on it too just to see how well I like it.
    Ona, FL

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=GabbyM;1152886]I’ve a Lyman 4500 an RCBS and two Stars. For rifle bullets I mostly use my Lyman.
    Not sure how wallenba makes it work pushing the bullet out with a rod. I’d think lube would be running out as soon as the bullet left the die.

Yes, lube does flow and some will get on the nose of each bullet, and I have to get the checks pushed on prior so that it goes uninterupted.
    Last edited by wallenba; 02-07-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

I've owned a Star, own a RCBS and several #450 Lymans. The #450 Lyman is the one to get unless you're only going to load lots of pistol stuff and then go with the Star. I've been using a #450 since the came out and before that a #45 and several times along the way, Stars./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....