Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Zinc jackets?

Banned

Zinc jackets?

Sorting a bucket of WW tonight, I was wondering how tough it would be to make jacket cups from zinc, insert them in a mold made to fit them, and then pour them full of lead and cut the sprue like normal, making bonded-core boolits like FMJ .45 ACP or 9mm ball ammo.

I've never really worked with zinc, but I was wondering if the jacket could be made from cast balls about like 000 buckshot, then swaged in a pocket mould and the excess ground flat to make a square base. Anybody think this could be made into a practical process?

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

"Back in the day" I used to shoot the Harvey Pro-Tex-Bore? boolit in .357. It was a zinc washer onto which a soft lead boolit was swaged onto. If memory serves they worked pretty good at normal 357 mag velocities. I also tried the old NEI process of inserting a half jacket copper tube into the mold and then pouring the alloy in after. That was a Big PITA!. The only consolation was that I could throw the rejects back into the melt and recover those tubes/half jackets. Shortly after that I went to paper patch and plain old cast boolits in my 375 H&H.

Don't know if the end result will be worth your effort but the name of the game with boolit casting is experimenting.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!