Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: No boolit lube?

Boolit Bub

No boolit lube?

I cast and shoot USPSA... the smoke sometimes because a pain to see the target created by cast boolits.

I have been reading a little about people not using boolit lube and not having leading issues... Is there somewhere where I can find more info about this and how to go about having it work?

The loads I'm shooting are 200gr LRN at around 830-840fps.

I'd like to try to see if it works for me... if not... I'll continue to lube.

MIke.

Boolit Master

Might try a different lube, some lube/powder combinations cause lots of smoke, others not so much. I have found Clays and 45/45/10 tumble lube doesn't smoke much.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Might try a different lube, some lube/powder combinations cause lots of smoke, others not so much. I have found Clays and 45/45/10 tumble lube doesn't smoke much.
    I'm using carnubea red (sp?) and solo 1000 which is apperently compareable to clays.

MIke.

Banned

the smoke might just be gas blow-by.
    i know you ain't getting no leading or nuthin but you could try a bit larger boolit.
    you could soften the carnuba red some too.
    if you are getting acceptable accuracy,etc a slight change could be all you need.
    a little white lith,a spoonfull of vaseline or a spoonfull of trans fluid might be all you need.

I have read reports of shooting pure lead boolits with no lube. I think our own Buckshot was one of the guys trying(doing) it. If I remember correctly, all were shooting very mild loads behind soft(pure?) lead boolits.
    I use FWFL made with atf in place of the mineral oil per Felixs' suggestion In the 45ACP with 4gr "Titewad". It smokes very little, a bit more on very warm days.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Mold
    What if the bullets were a lot harder???Would they need lube at all,at say 850fps

Just a couple of newby questions..

Shelby

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by swynn View Post
    What if the bullets were a lot harder???Would they need lube at all,at say 850fps

Just a couple of newby questions..

Shelby
    Yep. Unless you enjoy removing lead from the bore.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Who doesnt?

Banned

if by a lot harder you mean zinc, yeah.

Boolit Grand Master

Might try LBT Blue Soft lube. It doesn't smoke in my handguns and only in the rifle like the '06 if I push it to about 2K.

I would try a different lube first. I make my own lube, and I've found that STP or DexIII, in place of mineral oil seems to keep the smoke down, just as mrolliver has. Running with no lube in the .45 ACP is certainly possible. However, I think it would be much easier to find a less smokey load by changing one component at a time.

Possible things to consider:

*GC boolit/size .001 larger. Sounds to me as smoke may be blow-by. I would personally try sizing .001 larger then you are now before going this route. GC's are expensive, and it sounds like you shoot alot. Also, if you use a Lee FCD...don't use it and see if the smoke improves.

*Try a different lube. I've rarely heard of lube failure in a cartridge such as the .45 ACP. I suspect your lube is doing a good job, as your not experiencing leading, but its too smokey. Shallow rifling and low velocity make the .45 very easy to cast for, but sometimes requries some tuning. I've never experienced lube failure under 1k fps. Seems at that speed just about anything will work as lube, but some is smokier then others.

*Try a harder alloy. .45 ACP's have very shallow rifling, and sometimes a harder alloy is necessary to get them shooting well. Sounds like your load is meeting your accuracy requirements, so this is probably not the cause.

*Try a different powder. I'm a fan of BE in the ACP, but there are dozens that might work for you. Some are less smokey then others.

I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it in time. Start with lube and go from there. Good luck man.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Try using the White Label Carnuba Red with Clays powder. It gives loads that are almost smoke free in SASS matches. Now if you want to have a real smoke problem start shooting the real black with me. I sometimes have to shoot where I think they are.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet