MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bottom Pour Pots

Boolit Master
    I never bothered to measure, I reckon about a tad or a tad and a half. My 6 cavity aluminum Lee molds like to be tilted a little too.

prs

Quote Originally Posted by HammerMTB View Post
    Usually "zero" makes the most consistent results for me. I do have 1 mold that doesn't like pressure pour from the spout and in that case it's about 3/8"
    Exactly how I proceed. The exception is my Magma caster. It is fixed @ about 3/8" & seems to work fine for the molds I have used.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Somewhere between 1/2 and 1 inch. Never thought much about it in terms of a numeric value. I just set the mould guide so it's "the right distance", whatever that turns out to be. I had to adjust my mould guide the other day when I went from casting with an RCBS iron mould to a shorter Lee 2-banger aluminum mould. Again, I didn't measure it, I just set it so it looked right, from experience, I guess. Sorry I can't give you a number.

Something else that affects proper pour from a bottom drip pot is the flow rate. If that isn't right, and it varies from mould-to-mould, it won't matter at all what the pour distance is. You can't run a hard stream into a small volume (boolit weight) mould, nor can you run a trickle into a large volume mould and expect to get good results. You'll have to experiment a bit to find the right combination of flow and pour distance. Thinking about it a bit more, I'd say flow rate is more important than pour distance. I seldom change the mould guide height, but I frequently change the pour rate for different boolits.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I second stews post.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    if you "pressure" pour dont forget to back off and leave some sprue. dont ask how i learned this!

Boolit Master

about half an inch and I tip the mold on an angle so the lead "swirls" into the cavity.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    If you're not pressure casting, just remember the longer the length of the stream from the spout to the mould, the more the molten alloy is exposed to atmosphere (leading to more oxidation of the final casting).

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.