Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Prepare for more newbies...

Boolit Master

Prepare for more newbies...

... and save your brass!

The price of copper just hit an all-time high. The price of j-words and loaded ammo ain't coming down any time soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12098576

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Yes I do.
    I have a bucket that I keep
    all the old brass in so I can
    sell it to the junk man.
    Then buy any lead he has.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Banned
    Now you guys know, they are going to want their AK47s to shoot Nato velocities with cast lead bullets, so be prepared.

gary

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing and have been in "hoard mode" for a while now. I do want the grandsons to be able to enjoy some of this. At 10, 5 and 2 I'm going to need quite a pile of stuff to keep us going.

In Remembrance

Copper is gettin near

as precious as silver. Though Silver is up 600% in the last couple of years.
    And I gave away all my scrap last fall to clean up the yard. My wife is tickeled.
    I am bummed. There was probably eighty pounds of copper just in one old military generator that went with it. Probably a couple of hundred pounds of brass. The guy that got the scrap seemed very happy.
    Over $4.30 a pound, who woulda thunk it?
    Copper like most metals costs way more to make it from ore than to recycle it from scrap. I just might have to rekindle the scrapper in me.
    The rising of prices of everything just gives us the TRUTH of the falling value of the
    Federal reserve Notes that we have in our pockets.

Life is good

Yeah but lead is being outlawed as we speak.
    Lighten up, life is too short.

Boolit Master
    They are talking about re-opening the copper mines in the UP of the Great Mitten that have been closed for years. However, the process they want to up is very toxic and being next to the Earth's largest fresh water supply, not a good idea at this point.

Gerry

Maybe have to use muzzleloaders using conicals or balls to keep shooting.Wouldn't need brass or tin.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have a bucket that I keep
    all the old brass in so I can
    sell it to the junk man.
    ... and don't forget to dump the spent primers in the bucket too
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Forgot to mention that our friends in China have a large copper mining operation in Afghanastan that is not attacked by insurgents. Umh! Glad we over there spilling our blood and tax dollars for a bunch of corrupt b+++tards waiting for us to leave so they can sell their minerals to the highest bidder.
    Nukem all!
    Gerry

Boolit Buddy

primers as scrap

keep the primers seperate from the junk brass, they have steel anvils and will get your bucket of scrap brass a lower price as dirts brass @ up to 50% less.
    shaune

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shaune509 View Post
    keep the primers seperate from the junk brass, they have steel anvils and will get your bucket of scrap brass a lower price as dirts brass @ up to 50% less.
    shaune
    That would be a negative on the steel unless you are talking about shotgun primers.

Boolit Buddy
    last time was at scrap dealer asked if could just add spent primers and junk cases in the yellow brass i take in from plumbing, worker showd me that the old ammo was atracted to the magnet. this was not steel mil cases but mixed rifle and pistol and the magnet seemed to only attract at the primers. the only way to get your best price is to sort as "clean deprimed" and dirty mixed. the scrap yards will be picky so if its clean you can ask for the best price, even if the smelting of brass or what ever will seperate the non desireds out they will always use the excuse of that one steel item to cut the price.
    shaune

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Try some capitals in there, we may be able to read it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tite View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing and have been in "hoard mode" for a while now. I do want the grandsons to be able to enjoy some of this. At 10, 5 and 2 I'm going to need quite a pile of stuff to keep us going.
    +2 there 2Tite,
    I was born in Hoard Mode by Hoard mode type parents.
    I really have to work at it to not Hoard.
    Since 2008 and that ammo scare and high commodity prices,
    I've been in High Hoard mode gear.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onondaga View Post
    Now you guys know, they are going to want their AK47s to shoot Nato velocities with cast lead bullets, so be prepared.
    That's some messed up newbies, wanting NATO performance out of Eastern Bloc ammo!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.