Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: ok guys, if you had to buy one mold..

ok guys, if you had to buy one mold..

to cast for your inline using sabots what would it be?

I'm thinking lyman devastator 429640 but I would like something that would serve a dual role in my 45 acp...that being said the lee 452-255-RF would probably serve well in both roles.

What say you?
    NRA Life Member

"I live back in the woods, you see
    A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
    I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive
    And a country boy can survive
    Country folks can survive"

I got surprisingly good accuracy with Ly. #429421 and RCBS 44-250K with MMP green sabots and loose FFg black powder. Btw, with the same powder charge and components, the Lee 240gr. TL bullet didn't group nearly as well.
    Last edited by Maven; 01-03-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: omission

Boolit Master
    I have been using the Lee 240 gr SWC with MMP sabots for at least 15 years in both my T/C White Mtn carbine and T/C Greyhawk. No complaints from me or either the deer or elk that were on the receiving end and ended up in the freezer. The carbine gets 1-1/2 inch groups at 100 yards when my old eyes will do their part. My load is 78 gr of FFF for both critters.
    I will admit that I prefer a 45 patched round ball for deer but always use the sabot boolits on combined deer/elk hunts. The 45 round ball does to deer what the sabot boolit does to elk.

Boolit Master

IMO the Lee 429 310 is hard to beat

I cast them out of pure lead

Only way IMO to beat it is when I get the NOE version that is HP'ed

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I would go to BRP product, he is a vendor sponsor of this site and he offers two (2) smooth sided designs specifically for sabots. Bruce made me a 5 cavity of his 300 grainer, this shoots well with MMp and Harvester sabots with any of the current subs, and holy Black.

In my case I build and hunt with my own Smokeless MLers. the bevel base was allowing sabots to blow, this will not be a problem with any other powder than the origonal BP sub, that being Smokeless powder.

I sent my 5 cav. back to Bruce for a Mod to remove most of the bevel base, I asked him to shorten the blocks, he did just that and returned the mold in 8 days, this is service!!!! I now have a 5 cavity mold that drops 288 gr boolitz with a .268 meplat. These work well/great in my smokeless guns.

I also have a LBT 333 gr smooth sided double cavity. This to is a work of art!! shoots great kills fast.

I cast from both molds water dropped WWs. I like HC for MLs with these boolitz because of the good to great Meplat.

Ken

+1 on BRP. I have a 300 grain mold with 3 cavities. One cavity does a hollow point. Looking at it now would only change for all solid points. I have some cast up and could send you some to try. They area little heavier then 300 and I resize them to 452 with a lee sizer. They shoot great in my T/C Omega X7. I use harvester crush rib sabots. I shoot blackhorn209 about 90 grains
    Garbear
    Garbear