Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lube and boolit test

Boolit Buddy
    44man, if you want your bullet to cast larger, it needs to be harder... Not that the difference will amount to a lot, you'll never gain more than 0.0005 with tin. .001 is about max, but then you will need an anitmony alloy.

I am re-reading Mann's book, " The Bullets Flight," trying to get more understanding about this issue. 44man mentioned Veral Smiths book. I am not familiar with it. Can any of you boys point me in the right direction to get a copy? What was the title of that book?
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

Banned

According to the great fella at Rapine, turning up the heat expands the mould more and will give a larger boolit regardless of the alloy. It is worth a try.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Martinibelgian has explained it! His bore is .452 X .460 and he needs a custom mould. .
    44Man, no, I didn't NEED a custom mould - the stock Lymans were accurate enough, but rather unforgiving as to seating depth, and could have been better re. bore fit, so I just went for it and designed my own bullet, then had the mould made...
    I actually still use the Lymans in another rifle - a 500/450 #2 musket, where these bullets are just an abosulte perfect fit. Of course, a flukem but a happy one.
    this is an original hunting rifle which just fits me, and I use running deer shoots. It just goes where I point it, no questions asked.

Banned

You never said if they were accurate to 500 meters and beyond though! Yes I would be happy with them for deer at 200 and under but for BPCR silhouette, they fall apart for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I can only assume there is some other factor that will ruin your loads - it goes contrary to every theory (and practice) I know. Have you recently checked your muzzle crown under strong magnification? Just a wild guess... The twist should be amply sufficient to stabilize the bullet out to wherever you would want to shoot. Some variable that just screws up LR stabolity. Or maybe it just 'loses' it when it hitsx the transsonic region? To be honest, I am baffled. I use .462 bullets in a .465 bore, and don't have any problems whatsoever - even worse, the 577-450 Martini has such a large throat, that I cannot even seat out the bullet to touch the rifling. I am still shooting 520gr stabilized bullets at 400 meters, and hitting what I aim at, with a less-than-perfect bore. Bullet design nor diameter will be the problem, and twist certainly not. Nor MV, or bullet hardness. But I cannot tell you what it is...
    Last edited by martinibelgian; 10-02-2006 at 03:55 PM.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    turning up the heat expands the mould more and will give a larger boolit
    There is also that 'beagle trick'...

I admit to being as baffled as martinibelgian.
    Your bullets are stable as they come out of the barrel. Otherwise, you couldn't get those good groups at 100 and 200 yards. They should be spinning fast enough, because you have confirmed that your twist is 1 in 18.
    You are shooting bullet designs which have proven to be good for long range, but yours go haywire between 200 and 300 yards.

I doubt that bullet cast diameter can explain your problem, because I'd bet it fully fills the barrel when the light turns on...no matter how much undersized it may have been to start with. Sure, a good fit should shoot better than a poor fit...but whatever works at 100 should make it to 300 without massive problems.

The only thing I am left with is a void in the bullet that is so well-centered it has no effect at short range, but causes the bullet to be nose-light or butt-light when it hits the trans-sonic point.
    Of course, to create that identical void in two (or more) bullets would take some practice.

Whatever the deal is...I want you to find the solution before I start shooting beyond 100 yards.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Banned

I am working on it to be sure! I still think it is the style of rifling with the 8 lands and grooves. The grooves are a lot smaller then the lands and there might be some stripping involved. Why they didn't make the grooves and lands the same size is beyond me. Looks like it was designed for jacketed instead of cast.

Boolit Buddy
    44Man,
    You can forget about rifling configuration too- multiple narrow lands actually were a favourite in BP days, they called it "Rigby rifling". They even trhought so highly of it that they used it for their high-end match rifles.
    Í'm actually shooting 7- and 9-groove without any problems, so.... It won't be a conceptual problem for sure.

Banned

Well, that gives me something to think about! I am not giving up. I think the thing is just fussy over the boolit design based on so many different sizes the bores came in. I know of two others at the range that are small, one is .457 and the other is .458. Then mine is .4593, then there are larger ones yet. I think it is a matter of luck whether one will shoot an off the shelf boolit.

Boolit Bub
    44man and all
    You mentioned that you bore is very smooth. Maybe it's too smooth. The old timers
    would rough up thier bores when they felt that it was too smooth. I heard of an old
    barrel maker who had problems with his barrles because he learned to make them so smooth.
    Pres

Banned

That is VERY true with a muzzle loader, but not so with a cartridge rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Prince View Post
    I am re-reading Mann's book, " The Bullets Flight," trying to get more understanding about this issue. 44man mentioned Veral Smiths book. I am not familiar with it. Can any of you boys point me in the right direction to get a copy? What was the title of that book?
    Here

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/lbt/book.htm
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Banned

Oh boy, has the price gone up!