WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary substitute for a flask?

Boolit Master

Temporary substitute for a flask?

I will be resighting in my CVA and want to use powder instead of pellets this weekend. I have a powder measure but can't find a flask locally.

Does anyone have a clever idea for a temporary flask that I could use to pour into my measure?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Take an old cap for a powder can , cut the head off a case, 30-30 say, punch a hole through the cap and soder the case in place. Pour the mesure full and cover the spout.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Mold
    Any gun store that handles black powder supplies should have a plastic pouring spout that screws right on to your plastic powder container. Look at this:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...+spout&x=0&y=0

Boolit Buddy
    I use an old plastic squeeze catsup bottle like you used to see in the diners. A buddy of mine uses a chalk line re-fill bottle.

I use a bottle that laser printer toner powder came in.

Boolit Grand Master

I used a chalk bottle, like the chalk used for carpenters to add to their chalk line.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    +1 on any smaller plastic bottle hanging about. Any that has a screw on top that narrows .
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I was standing in the kitchen when I spotted a bottle of plastic BB's for my sons Air Soft gun. The plastic bottle even has a tapered spout with a screw on lid! He doesn't know it yet, but his plastic BB's are now in a baggie
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I was standing in the kitchen when I spotted a bottle of plastic BB's for my sons Air Soft gun. The plastic bottle even has a tapered spout with a screw on lid! He doesn't know it yet, but his plastic BB's are now in a baggie
    That is cold-hearted. The least you could do is buy him another bottle of plastic BB's.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 1 cup Tupperware tub about 4x4 inches and a 1/2 teaspoon for a shovel.

The Tupperware holds enough powder for a couple days shooting. I don't fill it up to much.

I fill my adjustable measure over the Tupperware and it catches the spill.

This method seems neat enough for me untill I figure out the size of my loads and buy a flask.

FWIW - To avoid "static cling" (static electricity), i.e. powder granules sticking to the plastic bots & funnels, etc, give the plastic(s) a dip/dunk in common liquid dishwashing detergent & let it drip/air dry.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I fill 35mm film canisters with preloads. then just pop the lid and pour it in.

Boolit Master

Since I only shoot a 36 cal and have been using 30 gr per load, I pre measure into 7.62X39 cases, put a spire point boolit in backwards, and a small piece of tape works for hunting . . . for range work I do the rubbermaid, and spoon into a funnel trick . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    FWIW - To avoid "static cling" (static electricity), i.e. powder granules sticking to the plastic bots & funnels, etc, give the plastic(s) a dip/dunk in common liquid dishwashing detergent & let it drip/air dry.
    I just started muzzle loading, and the thought of static electricity makes me nervous, although the Pyrodex is not supposed to be very susceptible to go off from it.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

I use a 45/70 case for a powder measure for my hunting loads. When full it holds 80 grains of Pyrodex P.
    I have another 45/70 case I'm going to gradually shorten until it holds my target load of 55 grains.
    I have access to Pronghorn sheds if anyone would like one to make a unique powder horn out of. Just let me know and I'll go out and gather some up this spring.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I just started muzzle loading, and the thought of static electricity makes me nervous, although the Pyrodex is not supposed to be very susceptible to go off from it.
    http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...ks/sparks.html
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

If you want to get real serious the long range shooters buy plastic test tubes or weigh tje loads. I knew I never should have thrown away all of those expired blood tubes away when I was on the truck.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    That is cold-hearted. The least you could do is buy him another bottle of plastic BB's.

Robert
    Why?? Wouldnt he have bought the origional bottle? Guess i would have been happy to have BB's.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

I get real Leary about putting black powder in a plastic container that is made out of an unknown plastic. Static electricity & BP do not go well together. I'd go buy a brass flask if I were you. That's just me though.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    The site indicated above concludes that it is nearly impossible to ignite BP with static in usual BP shooting and usage practice. "Holy Black" for mystics maybe, but not BP.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT