WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Report with a 223

Banned

that article by beagle is what reminded me i had the ruger tucked away in the upstairs closet.
    figured i should fetch it out and see if it was still in good shape.
    i took some of the old loads down to the range and let little girl shoot it, she attempted to abscond with the rifle after shooting a jaxketed group similar to the ones shown.
    i think she liked it cause she could shoot the 300 yd pins with it and not have to walk down and stand them back up.

Boolit Master

I just load some Unique under my cast boolits and have at it. With the new Leupold Scope I can be accurate at 100,200 and 300 yds if the winds allow.

A mild loading of Unique is what I like. Low report, mid 1600's velocity and mild recoil. Add to that long brass life and low cost and this is round for me.

They do really well out of my CZ 527 FS bolt gun and they are a hoot to shoot.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master
    Funfiverun
    haven't shot any yet but I know what you mean about being small
    I need to put on readers to deal with the little buggers
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Beekeeper
    run5run,
    Do you get complete powder burn using the 4895?
    I have been trying to get a good load for my handi rifle in 223.
    It only has a 22 inch barrel and using the same load as you I get some blackened cases and unburnt powder
    Accuracy isn't that great either at 100 yards.

Jim

Banned

it seems to leave a bit of ash in the bbl.
    i think thats why i needed the softer lube to make this work.
    i tried a similar load in this rifle with jaxketed bullets and it stank up the place.
    i am using lake city brass with reduced capacity though so i may be running a bit higher pressure.
    i have a couple of different lots of lc brass and some has more capacity than commercial [win] and some has less.
    a different primer could help you.
    i have my boolit seated out to just touch the rifling also.

Have you experimented with orienting the boolit in the barrel? Frank Marshall was a fan of it. It doesn't cost anything. Just a thought.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i am using lake city brass with reduced capacity though so i may be running a bit higher pressure.
    i have a couple of different lots of lc brass and some has more capacity than commercial [win] and some has less.
    What headstamp of LC brass do you have with reduced capacity? I've measured the capacity of LC brass as far back as 73 & as far forward as 06. It's all come up pretty much on par with Win, RP, & PMC that I have measured. The only .223 headstamps that I have found so far with greatly reduced capacity were "RORG" & "PMP". .308 brass is a different story.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Banned

most of mine is of equal or even greater capacity also.
    i have an old lot of lc68 that i was gonna toss in the garage but the citric acid cleaned it up very well, it is less not much but the brass is heavier and holds about 1 gr less aa-2230 when filled to the case mouth.
    i also have some 78 stuff with a nato head stamp that is 1 gr under also.
    this is after i size them all in my dillon size/trim die.
    only way i could think to make things equal was to size them in the same die and trim them all to the same length.

Can you post a picture of the headstamp from the under capacity LC brass please? The format of LC headstamps varies a little. I suspect that there were different factories producing different lots of ammo that later got sold as LC. I'd like to see if I can learn to identify the odd ball stuff. I haven't gotten any of it. yet. I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks,
    Jim
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus