WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: 75% Rejects

Cool 75% Rejects

Had to give up in disgust today. My usual 25% rejects turned into 25% keepers. Not exactly sure what went sour, but I seemed to be turning out "Light" bullets...About 1/2 gr. And the pot wouldn't stop dripping.

Oh well it's too cold in the garage any way.

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    capn jack
    that may have been your problem causing the rejects the cold that is different ambient temps
    will cause different things to occur when casting
    and i have found if i am too hot or cold it effects my performanse
    take a break get a cup of hot coffee and just relax
    merry Christmas
    mule

Banned
    some days you just gotta walk away from the pot

Boolit Grand Master

If it was cold in the garage, colder than normal,you may need to up the temp a little. I am sure we have all had days though when( casting included) it doesn't seem to work right. Even veteran casters have their bad days and like stated it is just best to walk away and give it a go at another time or day.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned

cold molds'll do that.
    light=s not filled out.
    try a hot plate if you're gonna keep on in the cold.

Boolit Master
    The moon ain't too full enough.

Boolit Master
    ya gotta do the juju dance. Put the mold on a hotplate, spit in both hands, turn around twice, stand on one leg, then cast again. Gives you sumthin to do while the mold heats!!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    I'd suggest turning the pot temperature up, if you're sure your batch of alloy is OK. If that doesn't work, turn it up a little more. If necessary, keep turning it up until you start to get frosty bullets. If that doesn't work, you may have contaminated your alloy somehow. Empty the pot and try a different batch of alloy.

If THAT doesn't work, go into the kitchen and put a saucepan of water on the stove to boil. When it comes to a good boil, add a dash of momma's dish detergent, open the mold handles to separate the blocks, and set it into the water. (Leave the handles standing up, out of the water.) Let the pan come back to a boil and give it another minute or so. Remove the mold and sling the excess water off of it quickly. This was first recomended by Col. Harrison, the guy who did the first real research on cast bullets. He said that this would remove the slightest trace of grease or oil, which sometimes made casting good bullets all but impossible. He DID caution about the need to dry the molds quickly though: This strips protective grease and oil films off so thoroughly that they can begin to rust if you leave them wet. I've used this for years, and it's solved many a problem for me!
    Last edited by Molly; 12-18-2010 at 08:44 AM.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Wink So much advise

.......I'm glad I had my B.S. Filter on.

I think I'll go with the majority and try it again tomorrow...At a little higher heat.
    Come to think of it....I may have been a little on the low side as I don't remember any "frosted" boolits. The way the weather has been lately it will be a while before I get a chance to shot anyway.

Thanks for all of the advise...

Jack

In Remebrance

Either cast faster or turn the pot up or both. I've cast in an unheated garage at -20F before, and yes, I know I'm stupid. But it seemed like a good idea at the time. Every second the mould is empty it's cooling, ambient temps affect the pot, cool moulds give you problems.

Cast faster, more heat.

Boolit Master
    For 1/2 grain? Unless these are 22 calibers, or these slugs are for 800 yard competition, you are too picky.

There's gold in them thar rejects.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Cool Too Picky...

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    For 1/2 grain? You are too picky.
    Yah, I know. And it makes for a lot of extra work.

You're really going to laugh when I tell you the boolits are .459, 320gr. GC. and that I hand weigh my powder to 1/10 of a grain.

When I pull the trigger and that bullet doesn't go where I wanted it to, I want to know it's not a problem with the rifle.

I do love those 1 hole 5 shot groups.

Jack

Boolit Master
    All of us are a little OCD about some things and it makes for more work.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    One of the biggest cast misnomers. Got me for a long time.

I can shoot less than MOA with 5 grains difference in 45 caliber. (100 yards) It takes slower powders to mitigate the difference. But it can be done.

I can do it down to 35 caliber up to 2100 fps. That is switching between two different slugs. One 250 grain and the other 255. Same powder charge or 45 grains of RL15 in my Whelen.

The least significant reason I find for fliers is the bullet as long as the base is square and solid enough for the pressure. One of the reasons I suspect that folks love hard slugs.

Fast powders and range are where it eventually shows up.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Jack, YES! turn up the temp on the pot
    and use a hot plate.
    You can get a hot plate from Wally-World cheep.
    Keep the temp high till you get frosted boolits.
    Remeber Tony the tiger likes frosted and it does not hurt a thing.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Talking Hotplate

Thanks Whitetail.

I'll check Wally World for a hotplate. It is a little tricky balancing the molds on the edge of the pot.

Jack