MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: work softening water dropped

Boolit Buddy

work softening water dropped

If I want a harder boolit and water drop to accomplish this do I defeat my purpose by work softening the boolit when I size it?

Banned

If you don't size much I don't think you will see a difference. I let boolits sit a long time before finishing them and they shoot the same.
    If you size a lot, then you soften deeper so it would be better to size soon after casting.
    You can size with soap or something, then oven harden before lubing.
    I just don't pay attention to all the little things that mean nothing in the end.
    The only boolits I oven harden is a softer alloy like 50-50.

Boolit Grand Master

Veral Smith in his book also stated he sizes after water dropping and has seen no difference. I use the same procedure with excellent results.

Boolit Grand Master

For whatever it is worth, I have always sized/checked/lubed etc. within 24 hours after casting because of hardening over a period of time. I cast hard, in excess of Lino, and up to 28 or so BH for most of my blts, and I water drop everything for convenience. If you are running them thru a sizer just to lube to the same size they drop, no problem. If however, you are going to reduce them a bit, waiting until after they have hardened for a period of time may cause a problem.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Will, They do work soften, but I don't know how deeply the softening penetrates. I believe Dennis Marshall, a metallurgist, maintained it was more than superficial. You may want to google Dennis Marshall and look for his articles on alloys, heat treating, and work softening.

Banned

i size mine asap they can then sit around and harden.
    when doing water droped rifle boolits i'll cast about 300 then check/size, you can lube them later.
    i find it easier to do smaller batches over a period off time than trying to do one big batch right now.
    if your worried about them all being the exact same hardness then heat treat them.

Boolit Master
    From my testing, if a person waits to size, they soften on the portion of the boolit where sized and only about 1-2 BHN depending on the amount of sizing going on. This is of course on the surface where the testing was done.

If a person sizes directly after heat treating or water quenching the BHN is less affected in my experiences. Readings of 1 BHN or less as been the norm for me. If water quenched or heat treated, I usually size within a few hours or so after casting to make it easier on the lubricator press a well as me for that matter. However, if the boolits are dropping as cast at the diameter a person wants and uses a sizer die that doesn't size the boolit, only lubes, then in such situation it wouldn't matter when a person sizes/lubes in regards to BHN.

Boolit Master
    Okay, lets say if your casts are 11-12 Bhn when air cooled but you water dropped them and they are 18-19 Bhn. So you size those water dropped casts and they drop 1 BHN and we'll even go to the extreme and say they drop 2 BHN. Now they are 16-17 BHN. What did you really lose..........nothing. Load them and shoot them, your loads will never know the difference.

Boolit Master

+1 on Gohon, 1 to 2 points bhn is no biggie, I size em when I need em and don't worry about it.

If I need them hard I oven HT.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    [QUOTE=Calamity Jake;1090563If I need them hard I oven HT.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

I cast, then seat the check and size. If I want them hard, I have a toaster oven set aside for heat treating. Once they're HT'd I run them through a sizer that's .001 over the sized diameter for lubing.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.