Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: First .450 Marlin loads with my boolits!

Boolit Bub

First .450 Marlin loads with my boolits!

It's taken a lot of time (The Army keeps me busy), but I finally loaded some of my own cast boolits this evening for my .450 Marlin. I've loaded many for .45 ACP, and my .460 S&W, but these are my first for the .450 Marlin.

Blammer was kind enough to send me some lube, and I used it for these boolits. They were cast from a Lee 2-cavity mould. They are pretty consistent at 392 grs. with lube. I lubed them, then ran them through a Lee .457 sizing die. I loaded them into once-fired -SHORT Hornady cases. (Hornady uses shorter cases for their leverevolution loadings because of the length of the bullet.) COAL is 2.500" and I used CCI 200 LR primers and 35 grs. of RL7. Velocity should be around 1350 fps. I can't wait to get my Marlin back from the 'smith and try them out!

Here are a couple of pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boolits cropped.jpg   Boolits cropped2.jpg  

next try sizing to .459-460 will help with the leading Clint

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, I couldn't find a Lee sizing die in 459 0r 460 at the time I bought the 457. I've read that some folks are doing fine with the 457, so I figure I'll give it a try and make a change if I have problems.

Boolit Master

Use a quarter inch wooden dowel, saw a split in it and insert some 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper and go at it with a drill. Use some soft lead lubed slugs to keep testing the diameter until you get what you want.

I have used Ranch Dog boolits in my .450 Guide Gun with excellent results but sized to .460".

Good luck with your rounds.

Boolit Master
    Use a quarter inch wooden dowel, saw a split in it and insert some 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper and go at it with a drill. Use some soft
    Slug your die often -- it seems like it's slow going, and then all of a sudden you've passed the size you were trying for.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Army keeping you busy??!! With all those four day donza weekends, early letout on Fridays, and two hour lunches, how busy are you?? LOL just kidding. i remember all too well. Good times.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

I'm getting my 1895MR, the 450 Marlin rifle not Guide Gun, for a nilgai hunt in early December. I'm going to use my TLC460-425-RF. Here is a bunch I just "dipped" in alox. Going to load them up in the morning with H335.

Michael

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    I'm getting my 1895MR, the 450 Marlin rifle not Guide Gun, for a nilgai hunt in early December. I'm going to use my TLC460-425-RF. Here is a bunch I just "dipped" in alox. Going to load them up in the morning with H335.

I bet that rifle sounds real good with 335!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post

Note to self: Don't eat whatever is in Micheal's crock pots during the holiday brunches.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I bet that rifle sounds real good with 335!
    The flame from 54-grains of H335 is pretty!
    Michael

Ok I will ask what is in the Crock Pot lol?
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Ok I will ask what is in the Crock Pot lol?
    Liquid Alox. I tumble these big bullet with a very light coat of Alox and once they dry I dip them in the warm Alox and set them on a cookie sheet to dry. I size them next. The lube grooves are packed with wax.

I finished up my load work with the 1895MR, the TLC460-425-RF and H335. I started with my QuickLoad calculations and then on the upper end finished up with my RSI Pressure Trace equipment to insure that it was maxed but safe. I ended up using 55.0-grains which is at a 105% case density. I'm seeing 1875 FPS at 41.3K PSI. The recoil, even behind the 8.3# rifle, is significant (41 ft/lbs) but the accuracy is outstanding. I'm seeing 1.5 MOA, 5-shots, even out to 200-yards.

Next week I will be possibly shooting from sticks, from a popup using a knee-pod, and also a tripod so I shot from them all today. From the 15' tripod is brutal. The rifle rest is in close to your body so you are a bit "crunched" up. That rifle/load laid me out but I could keep them in the kill zone even out to 200-yards. I think I will remove the rest from the tripod and use the knee pod.

Here is the meat and potatoes at a glance...

Michael