Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Trail Boss Alternative-My first post

Boolit Buddy
    I use a bunch of 231. It's cleaner than a lot of what's out there.

4dogs
    Thanks guys--all good info.
    I knew this was the right place to ask.

Titewad, note the op concern was economy. This stuff is very clean, cheap and works great in low pressure loads. I bought an keg for $8?. a year or two back and use it for all my plinking and .45 ispc loads.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy

Plain "Clays"

Clean burning & lower priced . careful on the dbl charging tho.. Russ.

4dogs
    Again, thanks. Here's what I came up with.

Trail Boss is really a different powder and nothing compares exactly. It's clean, quiet, fluffy, low pressure and low recoil so it has its uses where all of those things are required at the same time. I compared the powders mentioned with grains, CUP, velocity and my Brinell Hardness and came up with all as good choices. I narrowed those and came up with Clays as the best alternative for me. It would be perfect if fluffier and didn't develop such a pressure spike but I look in every case so I'll be fine.

There is no easy answer because it is so subjective. Low velocity 'little girl" cast loads may be cheap but are inefficient and even clean powders can prove dirty.
    Step up velocities or change boolit weight a tad and any of the powders would be just fine. Tightgroup, PB, Red Dot, Clay's International--really any powder mentioned works out fine on paper and would be OK. Every powder mentioned is workable--on paper.

So, i'm going to buy two powders--Trail Boss at $85 for 5 lbs and Clays at $110 for 8 lbs or $57 for 4 lbs from Powder Valley(?) and call it good. Yeah, it's more expensive and kind of different than how I started out but it will be a looong time before I need more. Thanks to all, this is a good site with informed people. I'll tell the wife it's your fault I bought both powders.

It's my third post already---when do I get my free ham?
    Last edited by 4dogs; 12-03-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

AA#2 is very clean and also one of the faster pistol powders so little is used . Also meters very well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    Titewad, note the op concern was economy. This stuff is very clean, cheap and works great in low pressure loads. I bought an keg for $8?. a year or two back and use it for all my plinking and .45 ispc loads.
    Jay
    How well does Titewad flow through your measure?

Gear

Regular Clays for all my pistols -- because I have 32 pounds of the stuff from skeet shooting. Works fine, shoots clean, drops nice, etc.
    The Dude abides.

Boolit Master

I like regular Clays for target loads, low smoke and very clean in my 45 and 400 corbon. I also use it for my wifes trap loads.

I will agree that the new Unique is much cleaner than the older Unique but still not as clean as Clays.

Boolit Master
    If you are after the bulkiness as well as clean then Alliant's American Select works well in low pressure situations. It's a flake powder that has size to it and is "fluffy" which is great for the light 45 and 44 loads, but light loads may be an issue with metering in the 38 with the smaller charges.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
    It's my third post already---when do I get my free ham?
    Welcome 4dogs,
    Whenever you publicize the get together with dancin girls and beer, you will receive lots of ham!

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Grand Master
    4 Dogs--

As soon as all of us receive the "50# of Linotype" initiation fee, the free ham will arrive by FedEx. From Nigeria. Really.

Welcome to the Enabler's Online Retreat. I use a lot of WW-231 for the mid-range revolver and pistol work. I'm not real concerned about cleanliness, but subscribe faithfully to the maxim that many of the best things in life are DIRTY. 4-wheeling........duck hunting.......turning wrenches on old trucks. You get my drift. And Hoppe's smells good.

Trail Boss is fun to work with. I got 4 of the 9 oz. bottles about a year ago for a decent price, and have really just started exploring its possibilities. If I gave half a rip about economy, reloading 35 metallic calibers is a strange way to go about those inquiries. Oh yeah, I'm just saving tons of cash now!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Thumbs up ipp

although not as bulky, GI brass has some IPP which is $55/5lbs, more like 5.2lbs. He said its comparable to unique and loads almost as such. I did some extensive loads with it the last few weeks and am going to post my info on the canister powder board.
    plus, buy 6 and he waves the hazmat.
    double plus, it has data for all my rounds from 9mm up to 44 mag.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

stick with trailboss
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed