Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homemade shot maker

So much for my fondue pot. Not enough heat as I was told.
    Oh well, I'll still cut it down for a mold warming plate.

Boolit Master

maybe some new ideas on homemade shot maker

I recently purchased a jim stewart better shotmaker, love it. BUT a customer of mine when he learned I like to shoot,reload ect ect. Says " I got a shot maker I never used, still in the envelope". As I was thinking what kind of shotmaker fits in a envelope. Well he dropped off the shotmaker today?
    Its a Econshot the home shotmaker, check it out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1525.jpg   100_1528.jpg   100_1526.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    simple enough, probably wouldn't be too economical for large quantities with the blow torch as the heat scource It would be fine for smaller quantities. What the last picture of?
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    last pic is the dripper that mounts inside the tube. I may try it for the novelty of it

"Moderator Emeritus"

What is the dripper made of?
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master
    looks like a hollow 3/8 bolt with the tip ground down to a point with a very small hole drilled on the angle of the tip

Boolit Mold
    if you want to build a shotmaker .... there is an old shotgun digest with a review on shot makers . it covered all shotmakers produced at the time . good photos .
    ask around .
    ramp length and angle are pretty important .
    used to drop my shoot into diesel fuel ...scary stuff .
    Last edited by vinceb; 07-11-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: typo

mernards, $10.88 for a single electric cook top burner, ran it up to 600 deg, then it shut down, removed guts from housing to allow parts to be in open air, mounted burner on an aluminum holder, holds up to 700 deg and temp controll working perfect to maintain any temp below that, cast my own littleton style drip pan using lost foam casting i learned from youtube, works great

Quote Originally Posted by gunlovingsob View Post
    mernards, $10.88 for a single electric cook top burner, ran it up to 600 deg, then it shut down, removed guts from housing to allow parts to be in open air, mounted burner on an aluminum holder, holds up to 700 deg and temp controll working perfect to maintain any temp below that, cast my own littleton style drip pan using lost foam casting i learned from youtube, works great
    Got A pic!

Boolit Master

How about uniformity(sp)? Most of the home cast I have seen end up looking like tear drops. Has anyone been able to build a dripper and not have to or calculate the length of the drop for small stuff say #8 or #9 sized shot? I'd like to cast my own, only if I could get consistant patterning out of the drop.

As for a dripper I found some guy from my old stomping grounds selling a plate steel melting "pan", something he rigged and didn't look all that dificult to do, for $150.00!!! The problem with his idea was all of it shaped up like tear drops hence the question of drop distance. From the pic's he was driping it directly into his cooling medium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot dripper 3.jpg  
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Taking a good luck at that picture, my first guess is that there is actually a little bit of a burr at the end of the ramp.

Just as the droplet is about to...well...drop off the end of the ramp it snags on that burr and is pulled into a tear drop shape. Just go over it lightly with a file or some sandpaper.

I get my ramp as close as possible to the water/coolant...so about 1/4" to 3/8". So just like in your pic, the back edge of my ramp is beveled too.

The only other thing I could tell you is to switch to a graphite spray instead of using soapstone.

But only spray it on the ramp when the ramp is cool. To do it while it is hot yields some interesting results.

There is a pretty good thread on the shotgunworld forums, all 38 pages of it:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...5776&start=740

oh...yeah...IMO, the length of the drop has nothing to do with shot size.

Shot size is a factor of a few things, but mainly it is the orifice size. I bought the drippers from Jim Stewart for #7.5 and #9 shot. The #9 orifices are obviously smaller than the #7.5's.

Other factors include:

heat
    head pressure (how much molten lead is uphill or upstream of the dripper pushing downwards on the dripper)

(combining heat and head pressure changes the viscosity of the lead. hotter makes it runnier like water)

orifice inlet hole

composition of the alloy mix

and last but not least....the alignment of the planets...and sometimes how you hold your mouth when you look at the shotmaker while it's running.

supposedly for a #7.5 orifice you want to use a #78 drill bit.