WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee Microscope, How do ya hold it steady ?

Boolit Buddy

Lee Microscope, How do ya hold it steady ?

I bought a Lee lead hardness tester. I needed somethin to show me which way I was going with this lead...
    I have one problem.....How do ya hold the microscope steady to measure the indent ?
    I shake too much to hold it by hand, kinda frustrating trying to measure, the indent keeps moving.
    I finally bout gave up, then I thought about attaching the Microscope to the arm on my Dial Indicator stand. That helped quite a bit. This way I can look thru the scope thats pretty stationary and then carefully slide the bullet under the tube to take a measurement...It's not always in focus, but better than it was....
    I was wondering if you guys had any tricks to share......LOL Thanks ! "PJ"

I noticed Charlie two tracks had a thread below and got me thinking about it.....Thanks Charlie
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Master

ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

I slip it inside a 45ACP reloading die in my press. Use the v-base shellholder to hold the bullet and run it up to the lens with the ram.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Scope Holder

Let your sample lay on the bench and move the scope around to use.
    Mr. Bill2

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    That is a neat set up Mr. Bill. I used a children's micro scope when I had mine but your set up is the way to go. I moved up to the Cabine Tree and it is made for people over 50
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy

Lee microscope

All good ideas guys ! I'll start working on something before I mix the next batch of alloy, it was just taking too long to get anything done.....
    I have a kids microscope, but it's a cheapo and doesn't lend itself to attaching the scope to it, I tried it already...Built weird.
    I'll come up with somethin, let you know, hopefully with a picture or two....."PJ"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Grand Master

A plastic funnel with the spout cut off to proper diameter for a friction fit and a cut out in the side for light and the sample should be easy enough. One like in the background of mrbill2's picture would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    A plastic funnel with the spout cut off to proper diameter for a friction fit and a cut out in the side for light and the sample should be easy enough. One like in the background of mrbill2's picture would be perfect.
    I like that plastic funnel idea. Next time I get to the hardware I'm going to pick one up and give that a try even tho I don't need another holder.
    Mr. Bill2