Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Knives

Banned

ive had good luck with the k-bar doziers and the kershaw asisted opening knives. There fairly cheap and are razon sharp and easy to put an edge on. Those manual opening doziers are less the 30 bucks and a guy can about buy a few of them and toss them when they get dull

Boolit Mold

Kershaw

I've been carrying the Kershaw Centofante and the Leek. Both hold and edge and sharpen well. I like the blade design myself.

Boolit Master

yeah, my cousin and I were at walmart one time and I asked her if we could see one, and he pulled out a rainbow finished one I think it was a chive, and he was closing it to put it away and it sprung open and cut his finger, all I remember is blood squirting like it cut an artery, and he grabbed a paper towel and stopped the bleeding. Then he got a band aid and we left.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master
    Assisted open is kinda like setting a mouse trap when you close one. If everything ain't just right it'll bite ya.

Boolit Buddy
    If you should choose an assisted opening knife it's a good idea to get one with a safety to keep it closed when in or clipped to your pocket. I learned that the hard way. Had to go to the ER several years ago and get my leg Super Glued back together. I stopped carrying expensive knives a long, long time ago because I tend to be forgetful and leave them lay somewhere after using them. I carry a Kershaw now WITH the blade safety engaged. I bought several and keep them in a drawer for the time when I eventually lose this one. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality, sharpness and fit of the Kershaws when I received them from the E-Bay seller, shortly after my trip to the ER.

Boolit Master

I like the benchmade axis lock alot. The one I mention above is an axis lock. I tis also an assisted opener. Of the one handed and assisted knives I have been around, this one is the safest I have had. It is very secure and takes a firm push to kick it off. It also has a lock to lock closed or open aside from the axis cross lock

It also happen sto be a tip up configuration when in the pocket/belt/waistband/.... I like that feature as it is very handy to use.

I would mention that the non serrated balde is what I woudl get as it is much easier to sharpen.

Just my poinions so your mileage will vary.

Kershaw Rainbow leek - it does have a lock on it to keep from openning in your pocket, it also comes with a zippered case for the the same purpose. Personally I have never had a problem with mine openning - just having someone admire it an walk away with it without my knowledge - contract crews replacing the windows and putting in new backyard landscaping - also missing a mattock after they left. I also have some other sping assists but Kershaw is EDC

For a knife that is easy to sharpen and takes a truly razor edge I like an opinel. But if you like to use your knife to pry on things they are way too delicate. Thats why I cary a leatherman for rough tasks and the opinel for something that requires a really sharp knife.

"Moderator Emeritus"

Not what you asked for particularly, but a 3 blade Old Timer stockman has been in my pocket since the second grade.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master

AG Russell Woodswalker in a Kydex neck sheath. Seems to do all the "light work" that needs done, and sure is handy to carry. I've probably got or tried most of the sharpeners, but the one used now for all of my knife sharpening is an "Accusharp" made by Fortune Products of Marble Falls, TX.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Bub

knives

Have or at present own most major knives, perfer the emerson, crkt, and cold steel. All make quality knives. Get one that fits your hand and what you are using it for. Sharpen all my edges by hand, knives chisels, and planer blades, learned from my father.

Boolit Buddy
    Slightly off subject, but I have never been worth a durn at sharpening a knife. Any suggestions?

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    I have carred a case sod buster for years.Works well for most things,and is simple & easy to keep sharp.
    God is good all the time

Boolit Man
    I currently have close to 200 knives and have come to the same conclusion as most of you guys. 1) get one that fits your hand. 2) don't pay more than you are willing to lose when you can't find it. 3) ask your self "What do I want to use it for" then get the best one #2 will allow. Sharpening for beginers, find a tool that has a fixed angle of sticks already built in, Gerber has a neat little guy that fits in your pocket as well. Keep the blade centered and let the knife almost sharpen itself. Not too much pressure as it will wear down the metal too fast. Good luck!
    You always think you have enough Boolets, until the Zombies come.

Boolit Master

I was looking at an emerson karambit, but what good is it other than killing ppl and cutting rope. I am starting to carry a mora on my belt, but my mom is freaking out because she thinks it looks like a killer's knife. I told her its nothing more than a utility knife. Sharpener wise; i have been looking at a kershaw or similar sharpener, one that has the v shaped sharpening "blades". I do happen to lose stuff sometimes, thats why im looking for a new knife because i lost my last cheap auto. On average, how much are the Benchmades with the axis? I may ask for one from santy. Because santy wont get me any more guns, i cant ask for them, but i can ask for other stuff.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Mold

Boolits
    Er, sorry ... web speed was not my friend...

I'm *not* a "knife guy" but I own several - my best pocket is a 1960 camCo TL-29, 2nd is a benchmade (bought only when I thought I'd lost the camco) - my best skinner is a "gimme" from the Whittington Center...
    I love high-carbon:: if it can't take an edge = BLEH!
    I don't mind sharpening weekly or daily.
    I appreciate good knives, as I am an experienced chef.
    I have only defended myself twice with a knife.
    Last edited by Merlin43; 11-30-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: web intigated typo's

Boolit Mold

Ah - assisted opening is ok - thumb opening is better when being beaten by the gestapo ((I live on a large farm, nude mostly, so I seldom see a knife as other than as a tool)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeBAC View Post
    Slightly off subject, but I have never been worth a durn at sharpening a knife. Any suggestions?
    JBAC,

Been covered elsewhere on the Forum but here goes my $.02.

There are as many "surefire" ways to sharpen a knife as there are knife preferences as witnessed on this thread

After years of fighting with the big wet or oil stones and hit or miss sharpening I watched a friend use a Lansky. Presto! Sharp! One rule of thumb about sharpening any knife- the thicker the blade the harder it is to sharpen. And, the old wive's tale about stainless not sharpening or Buck knives not sharpening or not holding an edge.... yadayadayada - can't prove it by me. All my knives respond very well to the Lansky whether they are carbon or stainless or Buck or whatever the latest buzz word alloy may be. The secret is getting the right EDGE ANGLE on the thing first. Once that is done most of the headache is gone. The Lansky and similar systems put the consistent edge angle on to begin with. Then if you want to put a truly fine grain, razor type on the very "edge" you can carefully strop by hand, or carefully and lightly finish with a fine grained stone. I like a med-fine grained diamond stone for the final step.

For knife sharpening, some like the belt sander thingy or a stropping wheel. I let someone do that one time to one of my knives.... never again! It overheated the edge of the blade and put a rounded edge on it . Carefully done that method can work fine I guess... it's just not for me. Other, so-called surefire methods include any manner of set angle ceramic sticks, set angle diamond interlocking fingers, set angle hardened cutting discs, etc. I guess they all work to one degree or another. Some of those methods put a very "sharp feeling" edge on but in many cases it's only a thin, wavy wire edge that doesn't have much durability. Anyway, my preference is still the Lansky or similar system like Gatco to get the consistent edge angle then, very lightly by hand, follow up on a diamond stone.