Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25/20

Boolit Man

25/20

hi all,i just got a remington mod #25 pump take down. it came with dies,100 rounds of rem ammo,50 win brass and a box of hornady 60 grain jacketed bullets.a friend is bringing me a 60 grain gc mold in a couple weeks.anyone have any favorite loads?
    thank you
    joejr

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not familiar enough with the Rem Model 25 to give load data. I have a similar Marlin Model 27-S, and I limit that rifle to factory ballistics--which would run an 86 grain bullet/boolit about 1425-1450 FPS. This might not be a smack-down red-mist load, but it is MUCH more decisive on small game and varmints than any 22 LR--and doesn't shred the meat like 22 Hornets or more powerful rat blasters.

I also have a modern (1989) Marlin 1894CL, and use a variety of cast loads in it--from mild to wild. My jacketed pet load is 12.0 grains of IMR-4198 behind the Speer 75 grain flatpoint, which runs about 1850 FPS and JACKS UP jackrabbits.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remebrance

Aw, you lucky dog! That's one of my dream rifles. No great loads, but I'd listen to Al and not try to hot rod too much. The 60 gr boolits at 15-1600fps are simply too much for small game. Work great on coyotes though.

Have fun.

I have a Remington 25 and Winchester 92, both in 25-20. I have used the same load in both for over 30 years. A 90 gain cast gas check bullet over 9 grains of 4227. Accuracy and killing power are both top notch. I cast the bullet from Linotype. Linotype helps the small bullet fill out better in the mold. I size them all .259.

I am certain there are many ways to load it, but the above is my way.

Boolit Master
    I have two Remington Model 25s, both rifle and the rare carbine. Both cast and jacketed loads are kept in the factory range for these two rifles. The same loads are also used in my Model 27 Marlin snd Sportco Martini. Somewhat hotter loads are possible in my Model 23 Savage and Model 1894c Marlin. It came as a real shock to find that my Model 25 carbine shot smaller groups than any of my other rifles. 257312 has been my favorite projectile for almost forty years backed with 2400. I have lately changed to Lil Gun. My tests so far indicate that velocities are close to identical but group sizes are much smaller. Hopes this helps. Neil

Boolit Master

I shoot a Mod 27S and a 23 Savage in 25-20. I have not settled on anything good for a load on either but I have a zip file with several (maybe over a hundred) loads for the 25-20 that I got from a nice person here. I can send them if you like, just give me a PM so I can E-mail them.

Boolit Master

I second what Charger said......
    that 9 grains of H4227 is the exact same load I use
    I am shooting a Savage Model 23B which is a bolt action....

for pumps and levers I would take care not to be too aggressive with the powder and resist the temtation to hot rod the cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just about any thread concerning the 25/20 WCF gets all of us old rifle cranks out to comment. I have done a BUNCH of shooting and hunting with the 1894CL this summer and fall, and just finished refilling all the cases about a week ago. I wish I had seen Chargar's load data using 4227, I would have liked to give that a test-drive with #257312. Oh, well--next session.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Back in the late 60's John Wooters wrote an article in one of the gun rags entitled "Eulogy For A Cartridge". It was about his experience with the 25-20 and a lament for it's demise. He used nothing but 258312/9/4227.

I bought a mold from Lyman and tried Wooters recipe. I have never tried anything else since that day. The load gives very good accuracy in ever rifle it has gone through and killed everything I shot with it, with just one round.

Could there be a better load? Hell if I know!

I have been been one to experiment eternally just for the fun of it. When something works for me I stick with it. I have been drinking JTS Brown bourbon every since I saw the movie The Hustler and Newman's character Fast Eddy Felson ordered it. I think that was about 1963 or so. That was the year I turned 21 and could legally buy booze. The first bottle I bought was JTS Brown and I just bought another two days ago. Those folks should name something after me.

Boolit Man
    i got a plain base mold that cast 87 grains at .263" ,so now waiting for sizing die.the other problem i'm having is the old rem ammo,about 1/3 of them split when fired.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by joejr View Post
    i got a plain base mold that cast 87 grains at .263" ,so now waiting for sizing die.the other problem i'm having is the old rem ammo,about 1/3 of them split when fired.
    Length wise down the case body?

Boolit Grand Master
    joejr,

This summer I bought a Husqvarna No. 26, a single shot bolt action that looks like a shrunken 1871 Mauser. I would dearly love to find a Remington like yours. I need to make another extractor for mine, the first version didn't work out very well.

I have only shot a few rounds of Lymans 257420 over 3 and 3.5 grains of W231. These are definately small game loads.

If you can find it, there used to be a huge thread on Marlinowners.com by 35 Remington that was full of data for a .25-20.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have a 92 Win and a 23 Savage in 25/20. It's really to bad that gun makers aren't still making guns in this caliber as it is a fine small game round to about 125yards. I shoots Lymans 69gr cast, 73 with check and lube, using 9.5grs 2400 for about 1950 fps. Shoots about 1 3/4" at 75 yds.

Boolit Man
    marvin s,yes,neck and shoulder are splitting from age i think. it's 40 year old rem ammo,86 grain sp,i found a couple that were split before shooting.

Boolit Master

I believe most folks are having better luck with Winchester brass but it is hard to come by. I bought a couple bags at a gun show but have not loaded any yet. Ill have to get some 4227 and try that as suggested.http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,34881.0.html this is the link that MK42 spoke of.
    Last edited by Marvin S; 11-15-2010 at 08:35 PM.

I have been looking at the pics of the 25-20 GC mold offered by Ranch Dog and it looks like it would be a good place to start for a fellow with a 25-20 itch to scratch.

Boolit Master
    Charles, I'm thinking that, too. Even if the itch has already been scratched once, it could be scratched again. Know what I mean?
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master
    I also gave that Ranch Dog design a good look last night. Tell ya what......a 6-cylinder mould would help fill the 1# coffee cans I use for raw castings storage A WHOLE LOT faster than does a 2-banger Lyman. Beside that, the dimensions for the boolit are very well thought out. And having rifles in 250 Savage and 25-35 WCF that could use the castings......time for a range trip, gotta empty out some 25-20 brass!

Corky, I know what you mean, but I have taken the cure, itch wise, that is. When I turned 60 and retirement was fast becoming a reality, I sat down a made a list of all of my real world itches. I knew money would become in short supply. I then sold, bought and traded into whatever I thought I must have to make life complete. I made it with a year or two to spare. All in all, it was a very good idea.

Ten years ago I bought a NIB 4 hole 257312 off Ebay for $75.00 which was very high at the time. I would not sell it for twice that now. In fact, it will be part of my estate some day.

I respectfully remain,

Yours Trutly

Itchless

Boolit Master
    Dear 'Itchless', I am in the same boat. I turned 60 this year, and I am trying to set everything right for the coming income ($) change. Not too long ago I bought a 257312 DC from another member on this board - and glad to be it's current custodian. It will be in my estate also. Isn't it amazing how one's perspective changes?

Specifically, the 25-20 is one of those calibers that we can shoot up until it's time not to shoot any more, not having to worry about recoil intolerance and such.

Yours truly,
    Sorting things out for retirement
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.