RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357: S&W, Ruger or Dan Wesson?

.357: S&W, Ruger or Dan Wesson?

I'm looking to buy a used .357 Mag. Around here I can find DW's for about $350 - $400 and S&W 686's for about $550 - $600. When I see a Redhawk it is usually in between. I'm not interested in single actions.
    Does anyone have an opinion about these? My understanding is that the Ruger and DW are probably "stronger" than Smith's but the Smiths are smoother. I have several Smiths but they are all .38's. I like them because they are easy to work on and I can easily get almost any part I need.

I like the DW's because I could get different barrel lengths, but how easy are they to work on, action jobs, etc.?

I have an SP101 in .32H&R. Would it be similar to a Redhawk mechanically?

I'm interested in shooting "warmer" (but not wildcat) loads than the 148gr wadcutters with 2.8 gr of Bullseye that I shoot in my .38's.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff423; 10-31-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    DW's are not that hard to work on, but they are different and have more internal parts. I've never worked on one to lighten the trigger pull, only to smooth things up. IMHO, once they're slicked up they have a better single action trigger pull than the S&W, but the smiths double action pull will always take the cake. My DWs have been more accurate than I can shoot, and they are very strong. Down side of strong is increased size and weight, but I like them. Being able to pull the barrel for an occasional good cleaning, and the ability to use different barrel lengths are a big plus in my book.
    BD

Boolit Master
    I am sure you will be going over any used gun well, and all makers produce junk from time to time. The last DW .357 I saw a fellow at work had just bought for $200. It was a blued 6", and looked NEW. He said he could only shoot .38's out of it, as .357 mags. required a mallet to extract. A quick look at the chambers showed why. They looked like they had been done with a hand drill they were so rough. DW had several owners, and quality varied greatly.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff423 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a used .357 Mag.

I'm interested in shooting "warmer" (but not wildcat) loads than the 148gr wadcutters with 2.8 gr of Bullseye that I shoot in my .38's.

Jeff
    Sorry I can't help you with DW's. Never had one.

In my limited experience, although my S&W's are smoother when new, I've always got my tightest groups with my Rugers.

I've had my .44 Redhawk for about 30 years and did a "bunch" of loading experiments with it. That sucker is a tank! I have no idea how many "warm" loads I put through it.

I got the Redhawk because I "wore out" my N-frame S&W twice --- the second time, I just sold it rather than have S&W rebuild it again. Nothing wrong with S&W revolvers, it is just that most folks don't put 30K rounds through one like I did.

For pure "tough," I go with the Redhawk.

But then again, for accuracy --- I'd still go with Ruger.

Nothing wrong with S&W, I've just been able to get slightly better cast bullet groups with my Rugers than my Smiths (and I like both brands!).

JMHO - YRMV

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I have numerous DW´s and I would not trade a DW for any S&W or Ruger.
    The 357 has a longer cylinder and will accomidate a 180 grainer seated out to the first grease groove and that means more powder space.
    DW triggers are easy to respring with the kits. I pull the side plate and put some fine valve lap on the sear hammer trigger parts and they slick right up dry firing.
    Interchangable barrels mean you can get any length barrel plus narrow down the cylinder barrel gap to "Custom" fit. Plus you can play with barrel tension and there will be a sweet spot that makes accuracy near unbelievable. Plus if you want to rebarrel with a custon twist (1-16) it is a snaps. Cut a 17 degree cone .. easy.
    STRONG beyond what you can think. My first years popping steel I used my first DW model 15(still have it) with the 180 GC seated out with a stout filling of 296. It would take out the 200 rams as long as I hit them more that half way up and that was not hard. Barrels are set up to install any manner of custon shape front sights with the turn of a hex screw.
    Accuracy... DW was and is the most winning production revolver there is especially for the price.
    I knew fellers that bought Rugers 10 at a time.. tested all 10 for accuracy then kept 2 each and sold off the other not so good 6. S&W revolvers are rpetty... but they do not hold together with lots of full power heavy boolit loads.
    I have numerous Rugers and S&W. They are OK but they do not compare to what a DW will do.
    So there is my quart of opinion.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Moderator Emeritus

The DW I had was a good shooter. I traded it for something I don't even remember what now but it seemed right at the time. The only real complaint I have heard is the difference in unlatching the cylinder. If you own a lot of Smiths and train with them you may reach in the wrong spot to unlatch it. That is only important if it is a self-defense or carry gun but something to keep in mind.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Chief,

Its been a while since I had a Redhawk, but it, the GP-100, and the SP-101 are supposed to be mechanically similar.

A .44 Magnum Redhawk is a tank; I believe the .357 version ifyou can find one would be even stronger, but would be heavy. The GP-100s that I have had are comparable in size to the S&W 586/686, and are fairly easy to do an action job on.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

I traded off a DW years ago ( heat of the moment thing) and I still miss it. There were a few problem years, but only a sporadic issue even in those as far as I know
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Buddy
    I have DW's in .357 and .44 mag. I have absolutely no complaints with either one.

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master
    No experience with the DW revolvers.

Lots of time with S&W 586/686 revolvers. They are capable of long service lives with 1935-level 357 Magnum loadings--158 grain bullets/boolits running 1400 FPS. Current SAAMI specs for the factory 357s run 158s to about 1200 FPS.

GP-100s are at least as strong as the S&W 586/686. Either one would suit me right to the ground as a field or self-defense tool.

The Redhawk in 357 is pretty scarce, and has been out-of-print for a while. If I wanted to run NUCLEAR handloads, it or the Blackhawk would be my choice. I have a Bisley Blackhawk for exactly those chores, among others.

If you have a GP-100 in 32 Magnum, you have a very rare example. Ruger recently began serial production of a GP-100 variant in 327 Federal, and has made the SP-101 in 32 Magnum.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Out of the three id take a smith. there smooth and accurate right out of the box. DW is a good gun too but some of the older ones were a bit homely. Ruger is hell for stout but chambered in 357 either of the other two is strong enough for a steady diet of any sane load. the k frames are a bit weaker but L frames are stout guns.

In Remebrance

Not sure if you ever see any, but don't pass up a Ruger Security Six. K frame size, L frame strength, accurate and well made. A much better 357 than the later GP-100 IMO, but then I don't care for enormous guns.

Boolit Master
    The security six has the best balance of any of my 357s (in my hand at least) it is the one that points at what I am looking at.

Sp101, security six, 2 DW mod 15s, mod 19-4. All 5 shoot well and I have had no problems with any of them.

IMHO what fits your hand and wrist will make the difference.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master

The DW if made in the Monson plant is a deal , most from the monson plant will feel smoother & have titer fits !!!

The Smiths L frames are strong revolvers , but not as strong as a solid frame !!

The security six series are good as the GPs but liter & do not have the third lock in the crane!!

The GP was built to be shot full blast all day every day !!!!!

The Redhawks internals are completely different ,the Super Redhawk is for comparision purposes are exactly like the the GPs except a bit bigger.

The Super Redhawk is a pure Hunter plain & simple !

I shoot some 38s & +p loads are`nt anything to disregard as undergunned with a 35 caliber revolver !!!!
    GP100man

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    If you have a GP-100 in 32 Magnum, you have a very rare example. Ruger recently began serial production of a GP-100 variant in 327 Federal, and has made the SP-101 in 32 Magnum.
    Sorry - I should have said SP 101. I'd forgotten about the Security series. I'll look at them and the GP's.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff423; 10-30-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    I too have a DW in 357, I also have one in 41Mag that should have a carrage and wheels. Both are smooooth.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jeff423 View Post
    Sorry - I should have said SP 101. I'd forgotten about the Security series. I'll look at them and the GP's.

Jeff
    That`s what I thought , SP 101 or a GP 327 magnum
    GP100man

Boolit Master
    from my experince if i was going to be dropped some place with only one pistol i would take a ruger security six in stainless steel with a 6" barrel.

i have a 4" that i have owned since 77. it was made in 76. i have shot many hot loads in it. have used it for target shooting. hunting and varmite control. i carry it for s-d too. it has never failed me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rhead View Post
    The security six has the best balance of any of my 357s

IMHO what fits your hand and wrist will make the difference.
    Same, try to log in some trigger time with all of them and see what works for you best.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

They all have good qualities and not so good.... Try them all and pick the one that feels best and the one you have confidence in. I like Smiths because I've gotta have a smooth DA and a crisp trigger above all else. J, K, L, N and X frames, they've all served me well for there intended purpose.
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower