Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Mold for 357 SIG

Boolit Master

Mold for 357 SIG

I'm going to have access to lots and lots of free 357SIG brass, so I thinking to get a extra barrel for one of my .40's. Is there a mold that is preferred. I'd don't a 9mm/38 mold that looks like a good fit.

Boolit Master

Lee 125gr RFN is what I am trying to work with. There is suppose to be a SAECO mold that is the cat's meow because it has sure a short nose. Lemme see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found the mold SAECO #377

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-244825
    Last edited by Doby45; 10-28-2010 at 06:26 PM.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator Emeritus

That SAECO mold will probably work, but I would prefer a flat base bullet. The reason for that is you need all the neck tension you can get with this caliber and if the base of the bullet doesn't extend below the neck, it would help prevent setback.

I would also cast these pretty hard. All of my 357 Sig loading (approximately 13,000 rounds) has been with jacketed and plated bullets and I use AA-9 for all loadings. It completely fills the case and is slightly compressed, which also helps with bullet setback.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    That SAECO mold will probably work, but I would prefer a flat base bullet. The reason for that is you need all the neck tension you can get with this caliber and if the base of the bullet doesn't extend below the neck, it would help prevent setback.

I would also cast these pretty hard. All of my 357 Sig loading (approximately 13,000 rounds) has been with jacketed and plated bullets and I use AA-9 for all loadings. It completely fills the case and is slightly compressed, which also helps with bullet setback.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I use the Saeco #377. It is a bb, about 124gr from ww alloy. It runs quite fine in my diff 357sig bbls. I doubt you are going to find a bullet short enough to NOT extend below the neck & still meet OAL. The trick is getting one w/ enough of the driving band in the short case neck to still give good nect tension. The Saeco works as does the Lee 120grTC, at least I am told by a friend using the Lee.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been working on this, too. I got the Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 22. One thing I learned with the 9MM and lead is that it takes some work and some conditioning of the barrel. I use the Lee 356-120-TC mold and seat the bullet so the base of the cone is just to the case mouth. This gives me a COL of 1.135 - the book 1.14 was slightly too long for reliable mag operating. I am using 7.5 grains of HS6 which I believe to be a starting load. With this combination, all works and functions smoothly. Also, this depth keeps the lube groove in the neck - I cut open a dummy round to see the cross section and verify this.

I suggest alot of work on the barrel to minimize your troubles. Fire lap it with Veral Smith's lapping compound and procedure and use the Tetra Oil. Then, clean the heck out of it each time and re condition with Tetra. Don't evaluate until at least 500 lead rounds through the barrel.

Also, the AA#5 was a good load but I'm going to stick with the HS6 because it's good in many cartridges that I load for.
    Email: daryl@ohioguns.us

I'm an FFL interested in wholesale purchases of modern firearms. http://www.ohioguns.us - Credit/Debit cards OK. Site has constantly changing inventory - will ship to your FFL.

Boolit Master

This has to be a Lone Wolf fit and finish issue, I had no problems with my Storm Lake barrel from the get go. The Lone Wolf barrels I have dealt with have always been rough finished almost like they just cut it and throw it in a box, no polishing or edge dressing.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I've been experimenting with the Lee 105 grain .358 SWC sized down to .356 and it's a great performer in 357 SIG. Feeding is great, accuracy is super and they don't seem to have problems with setback like regular 9mm or 38 super bullets do.

It also happens to be a super performer in 38 specials when sized to 358, so the $38 I spent for a six cavity mold turned out to be a real bargain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I shoot AA #9C and LilGun in my 357 Sig which is a P9 Springfield CZ 75 clone with a new slide and barrel.. No problems getting 1450 fps with 124 gr. FP jacketed bullets and it's scary accurate too! The biggest problem is that with the spring I have installed, it really doesn't start functioning well until I get to ~1350 fps.
    I haven't shot cast through it, but I have a RCBS 124 gr. RN GC 9mm bullet mold that would be my first choice to try.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post
    I shoot AA #9C and LilGun in my 357 Sig which is a P9 Springfield CZ 75 clone with a new slide and barrel.. No problems getting 1450 fps with 124 gr. FP jacketed bullets and it's scary accurate too! The biggest problem is that with the spring I have installed, it really doesn't start functioning well until I get to ~1350 fps.
    I haven't shot cast through it, but I have a RCBS 124 gr. RN GC 9mm bullet mold that would be my first choice to try.

John
    I imagine a harder alloy, good fitting 124grLTC would run @ 1350fps w/ minimal leading, I just haven't tried to go there. I run mine w/ 7gr of Unique for about 1200fps in my short P239. Accurate enough for fast shooting drills out to 15yds, sub 3" groups.

Banned
    I am currently loading the Lee 90305 102gr RN , sized to .358", in the Sig. I use 5gr of TG and WSPM primers. I recommend that you use the Lee Factory Crimp die for the 357Sig when loading lead bullets. That die improves the group size compared to the normal taper crimp in the 357 SIG. Works well in my G32 and aftermarket G20/357 conversion bbl.