Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Longshot and .45 Auto Rim?

Boolit Master

Longshot and .45 Auto Rim?

I am thinking of developing a load for my.45 revolvers(625's) that will be using a 255gr. SWC and Longshot with a velocity of about 900-950 fps. I have a bunch of it and have had good success with it in other applications. I have been using 13.5 grs. of 2400 with this 255gr. boolit for a field load, it is accurate, but a bit more power than I need, and less of the Longshot would be more economical as well. I have shot a load using 7 grs. but have not chronographed it. I already have an accurate lighter load using the Lyman 200 gr. and 231. Has anyone here experimented with this powder for this application?
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Buddy
    Not Longshot but a pinshooter load for the 625 is 250gr boolit and Unique. They say it burns clean as you go hotter but I chickened out at 6.5 gr and it was clean enough. Knocks the snot out of Texas star plates.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, that was in an ACP case.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 20nickels View Post
    Oh, that was in an ACP case.
    Same difference for my purposes, I just emphasized Auto Rim so folks answering the thread would know I wasn't intending to use these loads in a 1911.
    Unique would be OK, but I have a lot of Longshot and have had good luck with it in .40S&W, 10mm, and also use it in shotshells.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
    Same difference for my purposes, I just emphasized Auto Rim so folks answering the thread would know I wasn't intending to use these loads in a 1911.
    Unique would be OK, but I have a lot of Longshot and have had good luck with it in .40S&W, 10mm, and also use it in shotshells.
    I completely agree with that. I hope this doesn't steer your thead in the wrong direction but somw people are of the opinion that Auto rim brass and even 460 Rowland brass is signifigantly stronger than standard ACP cases. I am not and do not believe it makes a differance in a fully supported chamber even if it was. Longshot looks to be about 1/2 way between Unique and 2400 on the burn rate chart, which tells me it would work for .45 Super level loads but may be better suited and cleaner with the lighter bullets like a screaming 185-200gr. Be safe, have fun.

Boolit Master

I have plenty of .45 Super brass, too and the 625's digest .45 Super well, but I've only loaded 200 gr. J word bullets with Hs7 in the Super brass. It is a bit thicker, but I'm not planning to go that high with pressure. Sierra shows some pretty stout .45 Revolver loads in their manual, but no Longshot data.

Boolit Master
    I think Longshot would be just the ticket for the load described in the original post, but I could only guess where to start.

Banned

I've worked up a lot of loads from scratch with Longshot, nice thing about it is it burns consistently at lower pressures (although is sooty), so it's easy to extrapolate starting data and work up. I find it really good for heavy boolits, small capacity cases, and standard primers.

Gear

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I've worked up a lot of loads from scratch with Longshot, nice thing about it is it burns consistently at lower pressures (although is sooty), so it's easy to extrapolate starting data and work up. I find it really good for heavy boolits, small capacity cases, and standard primers.

Gear
    Then it ought to be about ideal for this application. It's worked well in everything else I've used it in, and being a little sooty is fine, too. I will go up a little from 7 grains and get out the chronograph this weekend.

Banned

Chrony and a little basic math will keep you safe. It's only sooty at low-to-medium pressures. Good luck!

Gear