Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Accidental Discharge Poll

Voters
261. You may not vote on this poll
  • I had an accidental discharge. My Error.

113 43.30%
  • I had an accidental discharge. Not My Error.(was the guns fault)

28 10.73%
  • Witnessed accidental discharge. Operator Error

46 17.62%
  • Witnessed accidental discharge. Not Operator Error

11 4.21%
  • There is no such thing as an "Accidental Discharge"

40 15.33%
  • Things happen, deal with it.

23 8.81%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Accidental Discharge Poll

Boolit Grand Master
    I voted A/D, MY ERROR. If it was my error, it wasn't "accidental", was it?

Boolit Buddy

Check out the Beretta .22 Neos recall and reasons why. Can fire when moving the saftey lever from OFF to ON.

Doesn't look to be operator error for those that say this AD thing never happens because the firearm is never faulty.
    Last edited by 2shot; 12-20-2010 at 10:32 AM.

My A/D was 26 years ago (I am 40 now). It was a Ruger 10/22 that my father and I had gone shooting. I assumed it to be unloaded (I know, I know, the cardinal rule). I was going to clean it and bang. I was in my bedroom, the bullet went in to my closet, through the drywall, in to the living room and entered the back of the television and exited the front trim piece without hitting anything inside the tv. My parents were outside and did not hear it. I glued the plastic back on the tv, filled the holes in the walls with the first thing I could think of, toothpaste. They never found out until my baby sister who witnessed the whole thing finally told the story at a family get together last year. It is amazing how much a little 22LR will penetrate.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If it was my error, it wasn't "accidental", was it?
    Good point, maybe it should be called a "U/D" or "Unintended Discharge"

Boolit Master

I could not answer the poll because the first three all apply and the poll would only give me one vote.
    The one not my fault was with a worn SMLE. the several that were my fault were with a variety of fiearms in diffrent scenarios, thank god I was following the first rule of gun saftey.
    Most recently it was a rem 700 at a tacitcal shoot and was just snuggiling into the prone position with barrel pionted in the general direction of the target with a time limt, shoved my fat finger into the trigger gaurd while still wiggling my body down BOOM! MISS!muttermutter.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

I was at my first 5 stand sporting clays shoot and had just purchased a really nice Zoli o/u 12ga with double triggers. I had never owned a double trigger gun before. I have fairly large hands and had wrapped my hand over the trigger guard rather than around the wrist of the gun. I guess because this is where an o/u naturally balances when open. When I wrapped my hand over the guard I never thought about the length of it. Unknowingly my right pinky finger was between the two triggers, not behind the guard as I perceived. Like most trap shooters I do not use the safety on the trap line, loading and closing it after the shooter next to me has shot. When I closed the gun to call for my bird my pinky pulled the back trigger blowing a hole in the ground right in front of me. Fortunately I was within the station cage and had the gun pointed down range and at the ground. What an embarrassment in front of a crowd of 50-60 people, especially when I was the club president and a hunter safety instructor. Luckily I just missed the master power cable that operated the entire bank of portable throwers. I'm now extra carefull of my grip when handling break open guns. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Buddy
    i had a freind who bought a pistol from a pawn shop. when we went shooting he tried it out, chamberd a round and it went off, then went off again. the only thing that stopped it was it jammed.

of coarse the 5 of us their we ready to kick his expirienced marksman butt cause he had a problem and was waving it around at people while yelling its going off on its own, what do i do.

P.S, they were not reloads, factory winchester ammo. also reason #2 i wont buy from a pawn shop ever again.

I work in the aviation industry.

we say there is NEVER an accident, but a "Series of events" that lead to a catastrophic failure, or flight into terrain

and after reading the "Accident" reports, there are numerous events that lead to the incident.

we now use the "Reason's Model" for investigation.

Boolit Master
    I would have checked all but "no such thing as accident" and "deal with it". However the poll is rigged to only allow 1 choice when I needed more, dastardly poll riggers! Also, I was considering an "unexpected discharge" to meet the qualification of accidental. Some resulted in property damage but never any person or animal was injured by an "accidental" discharge. I have seen people and animals injured and killed and lots of property damage due to deliberate discharge of firearms, I think that is what some of them were designed for. LOL, 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

I had to mark "I had an accidental discharge. Not My Error.(was the guns fault)" when in reality it was the ammunition's fault. Remington made some 7.62x39mm with soft primers and when I dropped the bolt on my SKS it fired one round. I had the gun pointed down range and I thought I had done something wrong so I continued to take aim and squeezed the trigger and three more rounds fired. I immediately unloaded the gun and went home and called Remington. They denied any problems and told me it was the gun. I know this gun inside out, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and in the 18 years since this occured it has never repeated the problem. I will never again buy a Remington product because of this.

only funny because no one got killed.... A friend of a friend back in the 70's had an open bolt Mac-10 and let the bolt fly home in his mom's garage. Apparently one of their "defective" guns...emptied a 30 rd mag in what..about a second and a half? ....across the floor, through the Lincoln, freezer and up the wall. He didn't have his finger on the trigger and of course didn't have a firm grip on it, either. Now you know why I never owned one.

Looks like the poll needs to be tweaked so that multiple choices could be recorded.

I had an old 8mm mauser that would fire if you pushed the trigger forward- not cool when you are coyote hunting.

A friend of mine had a Winchester model 70 that would discharge when it was pointed down while the bolt was being closed. I insisted on taking his pickup the next time we went hunting.

Oh yea, free advise. Don't cock a pistol with gloves on, take them off first.

Heard about one of our club members Fox hunting in his gun room- bad idea.

Heard about another club member turning a 44 Mag loose as he adjusted his ear muffs and yes, he was using both hands to adjust the muffs.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves and just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that "they" are not out to get you.

Boolit Buddy
    My dad had an accidental discharge when I was a kid.

He was fond of going into my bedroom, and picking up my 45 and dry firing it without checking the breech to see if it was loaded.

I warned him....

He didn't listen...

Sooo... just as a prank, I stick a primed .45 case in the breech, and set the gun on my bedroom dressor.
    Yup, I watched him walk into my bedroom, and pick up the 45, he cocked it, ( I plugged my ears ) and POW ! he pulled the trigger.

Mean prank to pull on yur dad huh... ?

Moderator Emeritus

I'm quoting myself from 11-6-2010 post #31 from this thread.
    Yippee
    The City Council fired (asked him to step down) the chief of Police 2 weeks ago !
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Less than a year after starting his Job as Chief of Police for the city of Glencoe, The current Chief claimed he was cleaning his 45 in the squadroom (they have an armory room for that, so I assume that's BS !!!). The alledged AD went through a ceiling tile and lodged into the roofing material of the flat roofed building. The best thing about this situation was it made the local newspaper. I bet he never played with a loaded gun after that incident
    Jon

PS, I am a former Police Reserve for the city and know what rooms of that building are used for what.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Dropped the slide on a Navy 1911 and the gun fired several times with OUT me touching the trigger. I assumed it was a Mechanical problem with an OLD gun. I HAVE seen a few accidental discharges when children were not adequately supervised while handling firearms, also a few adults new to the game.

Boolit Master
    My parents had an accidental discharge (several) when we were at an large amusement park in the 60's -- I was about 10 yrs old. They were resting on a bench, and I connived three Quarters from them, one at a time, and went to the shooting booth.

When they found me, I was aiming the rifle into the air, and firing, complaining that "the bullets just pop out the side of the rifle when I shoot". The attendant was just leaning back watching me, unconcerned.

Other than that, no AD for me.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

As a kid I had a Sheridan pellet rifle. The safety was almost idiot proof, but being an idiot I was able to overcome it anyway. The safety on the tang was a small, spring loaded lever. You had to hold it down at the same time as pulling the trigger. Well, I had it pumped, a pellet in the chamber, and was walking around with my thumb holding the safety down and my finger on the trigger. I did everything wrong. It went off and just grazed the inside of my ankle. The pellet broke the skin and glanced off the bone. It really hurt. That was my lesson in gun safety. Fortunately, it came early in my shooting life. In the 50 years since, I have not had anything remotely close to an AD.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jhalcott View Post
    Dropped the slide on a Navy 1911 and the gun fired several times with OUT me touching the trigger. I assumed it was a Mechanical problem with an OLD gun. I HAVE seen a few accidental discharges when children were not adequately supervised while handling firearms, also a few adults new to the game.
    yep
    my 1911 went off once at a public range and hit the dirt about 20 feet down range.
    i was new to shooting .
    needless to say it was a real eye opener.
    it was a negligent discharge.

Boolit Master
    Why is it called ACCIDENTAL discharge? It would be more correctly labeled UNINTENDED discharge. In most case, maybe all cases, it is not an accident. A series of events lead up to a mishap, more often than not some of which are rule breakers, sometimes in a sequence that cause the mishap. 'Accidental' infers no blame, yet most of the time someone does something or does not do something that contributes to a mishap. I know that it is referred to as AD, but that is erroneous. It should be UD.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with Sundog regarding unintended discharge. Regardless, if you shoot long enough you will probably at least see one, and more than likely have one. Some will have more than one (unfortunately)! They are eye openers, and attention getters when hopefully no one is hurt. A lot of times some will not fess up so to speak about this issue and what they have done.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Agree with Sundog regarding unintended discharge. Regardless, if you shoot long enough you will probably at least see one, and more than likely have one. Some will have more than one (unfortunately)! They are eye openers, and attention getters when hopefully no one is hurt. A lot of times some will not fess up so to speak about this issue and what they have done.
    1Shirt!
    luckily no one else was there.
    no injuries (i would have never forgiven myself and probably given up guns)