Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Springfield XD

Springfield XD

I have a Springfield XD .45 ...what seems to be the best , most reliable cast bullet for this gun? AND what is a good powder?

Moderator Emeritus

What works in my XDM 45 may not work in yours. I had heard that SWC's are unreliable in XD's. that's not true in mine. Red Dot and Bullseye have pretty much set the standard for 45acp powders. Lyman mold 452374 is going to feed in just about all the semi auto 45's because of its bullet shape.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master
    Lee RNFP 200 gr is what I used on the standard XD .45. I did figure out how to reduce the SWC failure rate to about 5%; however i was never completely successful with the SWC. The RNFP makes a pretty clean hole in paper.

I recently upgraded to the XDm 45 and it runs everything perfectly.

I've only ever used either round nose ball profile or the truncated cone in 220-230 grain cast in my XD. All have run flawlessly to date. My normal practice load has been 4.5 grains of Bullseye. It's near factory ball in performance, accurate and clean burning. YMMV

thanks guys, Bullseye is what I use. Anyone try clays?

Boolit Master
    I use 4.3 gr Clays behind a 200gr Lee SWC for USPSA. It meets major power factor up here from my XDm at 6,000ft+ elevation, but I wouldn't trust it at lower altitutde.

It's very very clean burning and soft shooting, but be careful. It's a fast powder that doesn't like heavy bullets or high velocity.

I am at 15' above sea level here in Terrace and the 4.3 gr makes IPSC PF using 200 gr LSW so you should be good to go. Like thegreatdane said Clays is very clean, much cleaner than Bullseye or 231. It is my go to powder now for my Ruger GP100 shooting .38spl as well due to how clean it is.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

+1, I use about that amount of clays with my Mihec 200gr HP boolits.

Boolit Master

I loaded for my brother's and I used the Lee 230gr. TC and it worked great! SWCs never worked out for me on it though. I used Bullseye.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Man
    I use the Lee 230 grain TC tumble lube bullet in my XD-45 Tactical. I've loaded them over Clays, Bullseye, Green Dot, and Titegroup. Never has jammed, it is very accurate (with all powders mentioned), and leading is not an issue. I never tried much else since this boolit worked so well.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 200 RF will work well as will the Lee 230 TC. The Lee TL 2R has a lip on the bullet that can cause issues as the empty case ejects (similar to a SWC). The Lee 1R will work too and is accurate. I've found that the Lee 200 RF, 230 TC and the 1R will be of a shorter COAL as the bullet itself is much shorter than the typical ball type bullet.

The Lyman 452374 will probably feed in any firearm know to mankind.
    Last edited by RobS; 10-28-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the SWC's and did not have much luck. When the fired case was ejected it was hitting the square shoulder at the case mouth and deforming the bullet and case to the point the next round would not chamber.

I have not had any issues with any design that did not have the SWC's profile.

Boolit Master
    I really like Miha's .45 HP with 231. Works great in both of our XD 45's. Never a feed problem and I've used them for IPSC and three gun matches.
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Boolit Buddy
    i've used the lee452-200-rf, and tl452-230-tc, the rcbs 45-230-rn and the lyman 452190 for a heavy weight with 100% reliability. I tried the lyman 452488 with no success. The extracting cartrige rim hit the shoulder of the next swc in the magazine. Actually bent the rear of the magazine out enough to keep it from dropping free under its own weight. If you are looking for a bullet to cut clean holes in paper, try the rcbs 45-230-rn. It has a slight shoulder on the front driving band but still feeds well. It is becoming by favorite but I've had good results with all the above bullet except the SWC.

I too am having really good luck with the 45-230-rn in my xd the lee tumble lube 452-230-tc was just a pia to work with and never could get it to feed right or quit leading