Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate boolit slinger: .50 Hush Puppy

Boolit Master

Ultimate boolit slinger: .50 Hush Puppy

Bailey Singnature Firearms Is making a custom suppressor for my .50 Hush Puppy, built on an M70 action. So far so good!. Let me tell ya, there is nothing like sending an 850gr boolit downrange at 1050fps and its not even as loud as your pellet gun! (untill said boolit impacts something.)
    Here are some pics. It hasnt been Gun Koted yet. If any of you want to buy a suppressor, Bob's will outperform any can made by any of the big companies. In a sound test with the state police, Bob's can on a .300 whisper was quieter than an AAC .22lr suppressed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails .50HP-SD.jpg   .50HP-SD Front.jpg  

Boolit Master

Talking

That is nice! I have an AWC Amphibian and the same thing the bullet hitting is louder then the gun especially when you hold the bolt closed with your thumb.

Boolit Master

Thankyou! Im considering doing another one with a nice wood stock and lighter contour barrel threaded for the same can, on a 98 Mauser topped off with a 1-4x Leoupold.

I see blind holes for a spanner on the end cap how about photos of the guts.

Funny that this thread was already going. I was just about to post a question and ask if anyone had any experience with supressors and cast boolits. I am considering a .30 can for my mauser, but I still want to shoot cast. Any thoughts? There is an outfit here in Texas that has supressed .308 gas guns with the latest in night vision. For a few hundred bucks they take you out and put you on pigs, which we have a large supply of here, and I reckon you can shoot your fill of em. I'm thinkin I could definitely thin the herd that constantly tears up my feeder and food plot. I would just be able to do it quietly.

On a side note, I was just looking at Bailey's FB page. They do some very cool things. I like it!
    Last edited by Armorer; 10-24-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo repair

Boolit Master

Ill see if I can get Bob to upload a pic of the internals for me. I am going over there this week so maybe I can take my own, or at least get you guys a range report. I havent gotten the tax stamp yet, so Uncle sam wont let me bring it home, even though he issued me one to kreep around the night with. I will be shooting purely cast out of it, as other projectiles of the size, other than white oak acorns are too expensive, and Im not sure they would hold up. Gas checks can come of in the can, which can cause damage due to baffle strikes. I shoot the lee 500gr boolit and soon the 850gr, and the 975gr CBE boolit. But, at 1000 fps, a gas check isnt necessary.
    Armorer, If you decide to get a can to take care of those hogs, call Bob, You wont be dissapointed. Then call me, because you shouldnt be out there not sharing the the fun of smoking critters with a suppressed tack driver at night. I kid you not, I am due to go to texas for a week or two as soon as work lets me, I would gladly help you on this. Id even call the atf and tell em that a can is going to texas. Shouldnt be a problem since there are no states between us to cross, if I need to do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    Armorer, If you decide to get a can to take care of those hogs, call Bob, You wont be dissapointed. Then call me, because you shouldnt be out there not sharing the the fun of smoking critters with a suppressed tack driver at night. I kid you not, I am due to go to texas for a week or two as soon as work lets me, I would gladly help you on this. Id even call the atf and tell em that a can is going to texas. Shouldnt be a problem since there are no states between us to cross, if I need to do it that way.
    Outstanding! All questions answered, and thank you very much. East Texas is ate up with hogs. Texas hunting law says that feral hog isn't a game animal but a pest, and that we can take them by any legal means. Basically anything up to throwing dynomite or M-67 frags at them. Most guys I know spotlight em. I like to bait em with sour corn. Although I went on a trip once down around Columbus where we loaded up into the back of a truck and went sneakin around in the dark til we found a herd of em. Then the guy in the passenger seat lit em up with a floodlight and we lit em up with rifles. Not overly safe, but very fun and very effective.

Id even call the atf and tell em that a can is going to texas.
    You don't have to with silencers if going into a state that allows them. I to contact the state police of the state(s) that I plan on having them in to make sure it's OK and I have a contact number to keep in my phone.

Here is my form 1 hog thumper, It's a 458 socom upper. I wanted to keep the OAL as short as I could so it goes back over the barrel to create the blast chamber.

Boolit Master

Oh my that is cool. Thanks for posting those pics. Ill try to get pics of the internals of mine up soon, it is a monolithic core design. Thanks for the info on legalities as well.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Bailey Signature Arms have a web site or contact information?

Boolit Master

No, he does have a facebook page, or you can PM me for his number and email address.

Hello everybody.I am Bailey Signature Firearms LLC. Here's the thing about the suppressor...

Most of you already know me, I've posted pictures of stuff that I've built on here for years. I just recently acquired my 07 FFL along with my 02 S.O.T. and started an LLC just to make the record keeping easier, it also allows me all kinds of neat discounts on various toys that I like to play with.

A short time from now,I'll become a dealer for YHM suppressors.

I have several goals for this can, which are different from most others.

As most of you know, shooting cast bullets through suppressors can be filthy as the lead particles and lube will gunk up a suppressor in a heartbeat. As already stated, gas checks can come off and cause baffle strikes which could ruin a suppressor, not to mention be downright dangerous.

Since cast bullets that are launched at subsonic velocities don't really need a gas check, its not really a concern. When using a suppressor, a gas check in not needed or desired.

My goals for this can are simple.

The first goal is to build a can for a .50 caliber round that isn't 2 feet long, 3 inches in diameter weigh 5 pounds or cost 3000+. Since we are dealing primarily with subsonic bullets, I feel that we could achieve some suppression with a whole lot less can than normal for the fifties.

The second goal is to have a can short enough, that it becomes practical to use out in the field. A short 16 inch barrel, with a can that is 10"long is no longer than most magnum rifles.

The third goal is to have a can that can be readily taken apart. This is necessary because when shooting cast bullets through a suppressor the suppressor acts as a crude trap. In this design, one can simple unscrew the front cap, drop the guts out and wipe the monolithic baffle stack off or simply rinse it off after each session. A wipe on the inside of the can itself before replacing the baffle stack makes it look like new.

The baffle stack aligns on the front and back cap and there is enough clearance on the stack that it wont stick to the tube and make removal difficult.

So far all of those goals have been achieved, but I am still in the design and development stages, thus, until I get a design finalized, no pictures will be posted of the internals as I'm not sure what the final result will be.

I am experimenting with different powders and different loads. The suppression right now is totally hearing safe, but not as quiet as I would like it to be so some more work is in order.

The goal of Delta Company Arms LLC, the originators of this cartridge, is to have a rifle that will shoot .50 caliber bullets that wont cost a fortune. Using cut down 7 WSM brass and 515 grain cast bullets that any one could cast, it seems that they have achieved what they set out to do.

Here is a cartridge that could kill anything in North America that doesn't cost and arm and a leg,and one that could be shot through a suppressor that is small enough to not be a hindrance in the field.

More to come soon...

One other thing...I dont get on the boards as much as I used to except late at night because I am too busy.

Here's my facebook page if you want to take a look or ask me any questions. I dont yet have a web page, because frankly, I've already got more going than a one man shop needs. Post on there and ask away, and eventually I'll answer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...39291089444711

Heres another look at the Hushpuppy...

Boolit Master

We shot the HP yesterday, and let me tell you, there is nothing like shooting a .50 that sounds like a pellet gun! It was awsome! If it werent for the boolit hitting the berm like a wrecking ball, you would think you were shooting a kids toy.

Boolit Bub
    Wow. I'm tagging this. I'm starting to see a pattern. When something cool shows up, seems that Aaron from 82nd is close around.

Boolit Master

What kind of powder is that, i have never seen any kind like that!!!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    What kind of powder is that, i have never seen any kind like that!!!
    It looks like Trail Boss

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    Trail Boss is the only "Cheerios" powder I know of.

Boolit Master

It is very quiet too. Different powders of the same, or close, burn rate tend to have different sounds out of a suppressor. Trail Boss and AA#5 are both very very quiet, which I like.