RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new rugers a shooter!!

Banned

new rugers a shooter!!

My buddy Al picked me up a 4 5/8s bisley 44 special as part of a deal we made. Shot about 400 rounds out of it today working up loads and just plinking. Many groups went into one hole! Its been a while since i got serious with any handgun and this little bugger made me look good. I hate to see how it would shoot in the hands of someone not so rusty! Probably the most accurate out of the box ruger ive ever shot. The worse groups it shot were just under an inch and probably 3/4s of the groups went an inch or less and that was with 6 different bullets two powders and two primers. this one youd have to pry my cold dead fingers off of!

I think Ruger has made a big turnaround with quality lately. Especially when it comes to the mid-frames. I think chambers are individually reamed instead of the old method of using a gang reamer. It has to be more consistent. Plus the other tooling for the mid-frames is new so this has to help as well. Everyone else is pleased with theirs. I'd love to see a 45 Blackhawk on the frame so I could have adjustable sights, but the Ruger only loads would definitely cause some grief for those not in the know. So, the New Vaquero will have to do for now.

Of course it shoots 270's at 1K pretty well as well,

Boolit Master
    It ain't just the gun.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    It ain't just the gun.
    C'mon Bass, I lent him my hat!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    C'mon Bass, I lent him my hat!
    Its not your hat either Jim...................

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up one of the new 44 Special Blackhawks, 5 1/2", a couple of months ago. It too is a real shooter. It has a preference for 240s and Power Pistol. Like tek4260 now I'd like to see a flat top medium frame 45 too.

Boolit Master

Great shooting and congrats on getting a good one.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Banned

Im more of a fan of the 44s then the 45s but i too would buy the first bisley flat top 45 colt i could find. Ive got a montado. Its a slick little gun. Not near as accurate as this one but still a ball to shoot.

I just bought one of the Lypsies 44 SS Blackhawks and I totally agree that they are accurate and fun to shoot. I would have a hard time staying away from a 45 if they chose to build one. I have a standard blued Blackhawk convertable and really like it too.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master

And now the important questions:

What distances are you guy shooting to get those groups?...

BCB

Boolit Buddy

I've got one with the 4 5/8" barrel, along with a set of maple grips from Pvt. Schultz over on the Ruger forum.

Mine has throats measuring .432 and shoots the Lee 429-214-SWC very well.

The fit and finish are superb, except for Ruger's famous "front sight cant", i.e., an improperly indexed barrel. Nothing that a properly adjusted rear sight can't fix--the reason I won't take a chance on a New Vaquero.
    Last edited by UnderDawgAl; 10-23-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Banned

I do load developement at 25 yards and when i get it down to a couple loads i usually move it out to 50. With my old eyes 50 just leaves to much room for human error anymore.

Looks like the deal worked out for ya!!What did you have to trade to get the 44 special?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I do load developement at 25 yards and when i get it down to a couple loads i usually move it out to 50. With my old eyes 50 just leaves to much room for human error anymore.
    Thats real nice shooting, especially with a 45/8 in. barrel, sounds like an incredibly handy gun.

Banned

Jason the gun i traded was a beauty too. It was a ruger RL tang saftey 250 savage. I hated to part with it but ive got 3 other 250 bolts and havent used them in a few years. It wasnt really up for sale or trade but my buddy has some serious problems since he broke his neck when younger and just cant shoot hard kicking guns anymore and wanted it bad. It surely wouldnt have went to any other home.
    Quote Originally Posted by donjose View Post
    Looks like the deal worked out for ya!!What did you have to trade to get the 44 special?

Jason

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Jason the gun i traded was a beauty too. It was a ruger RL tang saftey 250 savage. I hated to part with it but ive got 3 other 250 bolts and havent used them in a few years. It wasnt really up for sale or trade but my buddy has some serious problems since he broke his neck when younger and just cant shoot hard kicking guns anymore and wanted it bad. It surely wouldnt have went to any other home.
    I would just like to shake your hand for helping a friend!

Nice to keep another brother in the trade, I remember calling John Linebaugh on the phone when I first started in this six gun sickness and him saying that six guns shooting is dieing and he was willing to help any way he could to promote the trade. I must admit that I tried to talk to several other guys around my age about six guns and they almost laughed me out of the gun shop.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by donjose View Post
    Nice to keep another brother in the trade, I remember calling John Linebaugh on the phone when I first started in this six gun sickness and him saying that six guns shooting is dieing and he was willing to help any way he could to promote the trade. I must admit that I tried to talk to several other guys around my age about six guns and they almost laughed me out of the gun shop.

Jason
    tis true. I remember looking at a bfr 4570 in a shop. They almost wouldn't let me see it because "it is just too impractical". yeah, I didn't buy anything there.
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Boolit Bub
    400 rounds? To me that's a lot of shooting in one day. Maybe if I lived in the UP and could shoot at the house. Sounds like great fun.

Banned

round count is well up to over a 1000 in this gun so far. This thing could easily push my 4 5/8s super aside as my favorite sixgun!