RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: China SKS, Riddle me an answer

China SKS, Riddle me an answer

I went to see an old friend lastnight and long story short an Sks came home with me.
    It came disassembled and with 2 stocks one is a side folder and the factory mag, 2 20 rnd detachables and 2 30rnd detachables .
    I cleaned it all and put together in factory form.
    My Question lies with the aftermarket stock and mags and the 922r law. Would it be ok to assemble it with the folding stock and detatchable mag or should i just loose those parts?
    I have looked in several places and cannot find a straight answer..
    My friend says he bought this some time between '88 and '90, and he gave me 45 of the 100 rnds he bought with it. The bore is perfect but the out side finish has home bad spots from sitting in the back of his shed when he went to Holland for 2 years (he is fom there).

Banned

under the sunseted assault weapond ban law iirc you had to have three things on there.
    unless the parts were made before the law, or now. as it's done, unless you got some local state thing.

Boolit Buddy
    I think once you add the stock you need to also change X amount of other items but I am not sure. Here is a excerpt I found:

Title 18 USC § 922(r): Is a 1990 law prohibiting assembly of a Title 18 USC § 925(d)(3) firearm from imported parts. Congress passed this law in because companies imported “kits” and assembled them in the US during 1989 and 1990. Though 922(r) only covers assembly, the possession of a Title 18 USC § 925(d)(3) violating rifle might still cause legal problems should you ever have a run-in with the law, so it is probably prudent to not purchase such a rifle from someone else.

at http://victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

I urge you to do your own research. You can also find many 922 compliance calculators and this site http://www.murraysguns.com/922r.htm offers many US made parts. I am sure those guys can point you in the right direction.

Boolit Master

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...0_I_20_44.html
    When I got my Yugo, I called Tapco for goodies after I read this stuff. It will tell you what to do to remain 922R compliant.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Bub
    I did not know that the SKS was subject to 922r.

Boolit Grand Master

922R is only applicable to guns built from imported parts kits. Since the SKS was imported
    as a rifle, it does not apply.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

http://www.tapco.com/section922r.php

Here, this should clear it up a little better.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

922(r) does apply to SKS' regardless of when or how imported. For that reason, you will want to keep the SKS is its original condition unless you've carefully assured that you have the requisite number of US made parts to comply if you've added a feature that would have made the gun unimportable.