Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast only 40 S&W ???

Boolit Grand Master
    Pat--

I came to the same conclusion about the CZ-75B that you did, and in short order.

The S&W 4006 is a very good pistol, even if made in the USA. There seems to be a tendency for some pistol enthusiasts to look down their noses at any American-made service pistol other than a 1911A1, and that is DUMB. I think highly of both S&W and Ruger service pistols, and have had nothing but good experiences with my examples.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger in .40 and it is reliable as sunrise. I also have Glocks. I have shot but don't own a Springfield XD in .40. All of them are fine pistols and very reliable. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the CZ-75 but from all reports here and others it is a very fine pistol. Shoot them all and get which ever fits your hand best. All of them will shoot cast bullets. If you have concerns about Glocks then get it an aftermarket barrel and consider it money well spent on your piece of mind.

Just my dos centavos.

Doc

Boolit Bub
    I'd like to see more on the subject like what boolits don't feed in what guns.

Best thing about .40s&w? Cheap brass. I must have 2000 + cases. I bought a thousand for 40 bucks from pats reloading.

I can't imagine any truncated cone boolit not feeding in a ,40cal.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

175gr lees work well out of my M&P 40. I would recommend a lube groove bullet. THe TL bullets I have can give some wicked leading. I have put about 5000 of these through my M&P they shoot well but need to clean the bore about every 2-300 rds to get ride of the leading.

40 s&w

I bought a Hi-Point 40S&W and shoot 175 Lee TC's out of it. The gun is heavier than most 40's and is not a CCW, but, it is loads of fun to shoot, reliable and inexpensive.
    ooooooow! I hate earth wobble...

Boolit Buddy
    The only bullets I've had not feed were .402 155 gr round nose bullets. I think maybe RNSWC or something strange like that.

I'm looking for a relatively light boolit to cast in bulk for IDPA. I have one of the Miha molds, but I think it'd be much easier to cast a few hundred a month from a 4- or 6-banger mould than from a double. I think that 15 grains of difference might make enough difference to make IDPA bad practice rather than good, if I'm carrying 165's or 160's.

Moderator Emeritus

Nothing but high praise for the CZ75B 40S&W.

With Mihecs 40 160 penta pin HP's

This gun's a shooter.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

CZ 75B .40...slight modifications

Boolit Master
    My Christmas present this year is a Storm Lake ported barrel in .40 S & W for my Glock .32
    (.357 Sig). It is not here yet, but we will have to see how that works out. I would really like to try the Lee 145 grain boolit in that barrel. Now you guys have got me wanting a CZ-75B in .40 S & W. My wife spent 10 years in the Czech Republic as a missionary, so she wants a CZ-75, but in 9mm, so it will probably never happen, but it's a thought.

Glad to hear that the .357 Sig will do the job on a deer. Not sure it would be legal in NE, but it is still good to know.

Here is a question for you. If I bought the Lee 145 grain mold, could I shoot them sized out of the Glock, and unsized out of my Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum? I wonder what the unsized diameter of a cast .401 boolit is? Just curious.

Merry Christmas to all, and thanks to God for sending His Son to earth on our behalf.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    Here is a question for you. If I bought the Lee 145 grain mold, could I shoot them sized out of the Glock, and unsized out of my Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum? I wonder what the unsized diameter of a cast .401 boolit is? Just curious.
    Mine drops at .402. Quite a bit too small to work in the .41.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the information, I have always been curious about that.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Two extremes from small to large in hand guns , one Keltec 40 s+w and Ruger P-91 in 40 ....as far as soft shooting 40's (silly statement) ..135 gr is really nice
    I also have the Mihec mold in the 40 sw and it produces a nice boolit with all the choices , creates some nice custom loads for the little Keltec .
    Then turn around and load up for the Ruger , Wow! that thing will eat all that you can feed it and ask for more !.
    Big pistol that it is .....

Lee TL 175 grain TC, after leementing, come out 180 grain in wheel weight. Other than an occasional box of Wallyworld Winchester to eventually break in the barrel, it's all I shoot for .40 S&W.

Pistol is S&W M&P .40 C with fully supported chamber. I can load hot, but I prefer .40 light.

Jameslovesjaimie, your CZ looks AWESOME. I really wanted to give the CZ a keep, but my fingers are just too short for the platform. That custom trigger you have on yours looks like it would make all the difference for my hand. I take it it's not double action?

Boolit Master

If you go the cz or glock route, you can run the 9mm barrel in a 40 upper. Have done it with glock and with a cz75. You cannot go the other way without an upper change unless you have a very out of spec 9mm slide.

I shoot a Springfield P-9 which is a tanfoglio cz75b clone and it will use witness parts as mine has a few in it currently. I wish it were the 40 upper instead of the 9mm, for the previous mentioned reason.

It really depends on what you want to do with the gun when you shoot cast. If it is a range gun or game gun, an all steel gun would my choice. If it is a carry gun the all steel gun would not be my Choice.

I HAD a star firestar 40. That thing had so many sharp edges It would have taken a lifetime to melt it to make it comfortable to shoot. It however digested everything it was feed, including cast bullets. But as mentioned it was not comfortable to shoot with any load.

Quote Originally Posted by dogbert41 View Post
    Jameslovesjammie, your CZ looks AWESOME. I really wanted to give the CZ a keep, but my fingers are just too short for the platform. That custom trigger you have on yours looks like it would make all the difference for my hand. I take it it's not double action?
    dogbert41,

No, it is a 75B converted to single action. I installed the competition hammer, tactical rear sight, flat aluminum single action only trigger, polished the insides, resprang it, and put on some wood grips I got from a member on the CZ forum.

Head on over to the CZ forum (which is owned and moderated by Armoredman who is a member here as well). If you are having a difficult time with trigger reach, there are a few different combinations that members have used to get a shorter trigger pull. That and different grips will get you where you want your finger to be.

Boolit Master
    Anybody know what twist S&W put in the M&P .40? I slugged and looked one over in 9mm and it was .355" and slower-than 1 in 14. Just right for cast.
    Rule 303