Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to expect from a Garand

what to expect from a Garand

I mean accuracy wise if the rifle has a new or exc. condition barrel and everything else was in proper order, not talking setting it up to national match spec's. but just a good solid shooter. I have never owned or fired one but the one's I have seen being shot in competition beside me have not really impressed me accuracy wise ,seems 4 moa is about average with ball and maybe 3 with reloads. Maybe the shooters but some I know can shoot better with other rifles But still not real impressive..... Yes I know they are Battle rifles but is 3-4 moa the best it gets?

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Others will come along with far greater Garand experience that I, but the experience with my lone Garand, which is in primo condition, is about like your post, maybe a tad better.

If accuracy were the only concern, a good 03/03A3 will shoot rings around an issue Garand.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 09-25-2010 at 06:51 PM.

Boolit Master

Most of my groups run 3 - 4 inches (or worse!), but I have shot some 2 inch with surplus HXP. My Garand seems to like it better than LC.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I believe 3 moa has been the standard for a long time (back to the Springfield, at least) but it certainly is possible to improve on that.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Moderator Emeritus
    A 2 minute "as issued" Garand is pretty rare when you are talking 10 shot groups. As you said, 3 to 4 minutes is about right. There are a lot of moving parts that affect accuracy!

The most important thing is that the rifle not have it's groups wander as it gets warmed up. This can drive you nuts.

John

Boolit Master

Assuming decent ammo, a good barrel, tight fitting stock, adequate clamping force when closing the trigger guard, and a gas cylinder tight on the barrel splines, I believe 3 MOA would be quite good.

Boolit Master
    you might get 2-3 moa with good commercial bullets; 3-4 moa with military bullets or military ball ammo is about right unless you find a lot of ammo that it particularly likes. I've seen super slow motion film of an M1 cycling. It's surprising they shoot as well as they do when you see how much the parts flex and jump around, even moreso when you add the variables of stock bedding, handguard, and the gas system hanging off the end of the barrel.

I've not shot mine all that much, but thats the kind of accuracy I've heard they usually shoot. Mine won't do that good, because the barrel is ROUGH. I'm trying to get another barrel from a friend. But one thing's for certain they are accurate enough for combat. Most all the WWII veterans I've talked to say they were good rifles.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

The M1 Garand; every freedom loving boy should own at least a dozen.

Mine is a $500 trade. And, I can tell you this I would not like to be the one being shot at hiding 200 yards away.

Just love them,
    Ron

What can you expect from an M-1 Garand?--------M-1 thumb!

Seriously, I get 3 to 4 moa with my reloads on a stock M-1.

Boolit Master
    Fun-Fun_Fun!!!!
    Frank G.

Moderator Emeritus
    I almost forgot, after 8 shots you get a very satisfying Pingggggggg....

John

Boolit Master
    Well I have only fired three different fully correct unaltered Garands in very good condition and each of those when properly bedded was capable of 2MOA with fresh high quality 168 Grain AP ammo. Thats with the issue sights.
    My own Garand was a pretty much shot out beater till I had it rebarreled using a slightly used USMC Matchgrade barrel so it wouldn't be typical either before or after so I don't count it.

The other three rifles belonged to a friend who had quite a bit of experiance in restoring Garands. I don't think any of the three were galss bedded, all had very good wood, actions without noticable wear, and very good barrels but were hardly in new condition.
    I don't know where he got the ammo but the bullets had two crimping grooves, one for loading them in the .30-06 case and the other for loading in the 7.62 NATO. I think these may have been Israeli, but he mentioned these as being French manufactured Bullets used with remaining Browning MGs and newer NATO chambered MGs in the early 60's. The recoverd cores matched photos of US 168 gr AP cores. We also fired some US 168 gr AP, I still have a pulled bullet from these. It has the brass plug in the base.

From what I've read on aerial gun ammo the specifications for primer consistecy makes this the most accurate of Military rifle caliber ammunition other than limited edition match grade ammo. The synchronized guns still in use on some aircraft required that there be no chance of a hangfire hitting the propellor.

The Farrows Manual of Military Training gives two MOA as the acceptable standard when sighting in a rebarreled Springfield 1903 rifle.
    Those instructions were written during the period when barreled receivers were delivered and all parts changed over rather than older receivers rebarreled.

The Garand was not considered to be as accurate as the Springfield, but individual Garands could be very accurate indeed and the development of proper bedding techniques greatly improved match grade accuracy.

The necessity of removing the barreled action from the stock when cleaning could result in loosening up of the bedding and degradation of accuracy, especially if the wood became oil soaked or wet.

If I bought a decent looking Garand and got no better than 3-4 MOA when using fresh ammo I'd be very disappointed. I'd also figure its performance could be improved greatly with very little work.

Boolit Master
    I belonged to a dcm club, years ago. there was a guy had a garand that would shoot inch 5 shot groups. he had me restock it, saying he wanted it to shoot inch groups when he got it back. I did some studying on how a garand should be bedded and the gun shot the same inch groups when I was done with it. I don't remember the ammunition. military ball probably. if you pull the bullet slightly and reseat it, it will cut the group size. I could have used reseated military or reloaded, but probably with ball bullets, but that particular garand was a minute of angle garand. my eyes were a lot better in those days, too.

Boolit Master
    I know it's not what the OP asked, but I had the pleasure of shooting a custom built, Krieger barreled Garand a short while ago. The thing was a phenomenal shooter. I got to run 2 clips of surplus ball ammo through it at 500 meters. I hit 10 out of 16 shots on a NRA steel ram and I'm really not that great of a shot and my eye sight is not what it used to be. I could barely see the ram. The other 3 guys shooting (a bit younger than me and better shots) hit all 16 shots. I'm sure it ruined my experience as far as what a Garand is capable of, but that gun was absolutely outstanding. What surprised me the most is how soft shooting it was. Very little recoil at all.

I want one.

Boolit Master
    I have two Garands. Both are Winchesters and both were made in '43. Both have proof marks from Greece, and both came from the CMP end of last year. Both were graded 'field grade' due largely to ugly wood and missing finish on the gas cylinder.

One has a new/like new barrel, they other is probably about a 2 for muzzle erosion. The like new barrel also wears a new Greek stock that was very ugly, but tight. That gun will shoot 2 MOA. The worn barrel is good for 3-4 MOA.

If you want bragging rights shooting for score from the bench against come what may, the M1 Garand is NOT the rifle for you. If you are shooting at milk jugs for fun, the M1 is very, very hard to beat for grins per clip.

Oh, and it always turns heads and causes whispers at the range. Especially if you have two of them out.

Boolit Master
    flounderman
    I belonged to a dcm club, years ago. there was a guy had a garand that would shoot inch 5 shot groups. he had me restock it, saying he wanted it to shoot inch groups when he got it back. I did some studying on how a garand should be bedded and the gun shot the same inch groups when I was done with it. I don't remember the ammunition. military ball probably. if you pull the bullet slightly and reseat it, it will cut the group size. I could have used reseated military or reloaded, but probably with ball bullets, but that particular garand was a minute of angle garand. my eyes were a lot better in those days, too.

I'd run across the recommendation to reseat the bullets of Military Ball before. The subject in that discssion was some not so old 7.62 NATO ammo. That ammo was noted for accuracy when fresh but shot all over the place when it aged.
    The Military match shooters found its waterproofing sealant would set up hard after a few years in storage. Rather than pulling and reseating they simply seated it a few thousandths deeper which broke the grip of the sealant and accuracy was restored.
    I figure that a slam loader would apply some force to the bullet naturally and if the force loosened the grip of the sealant more on one cartridge than on another the pull strength would vary wildly.

I never crimp the bullets in my loads for bolt action rifles and resize only two thirds of the neck. I'd learned this trick long ago. The less the average pull strength the less the effect of variations in pull strength.
    Of course you can only go so far with that. Slam loaders need more grip on the bullet than a bolt action would.

Jailer
    What surprised me the most is how soft shooting it was. Very little recoil at all.
    Thats one of the Garand's best features, but while you don't notice much recoil while shooting if you get carried away and fire off a couple of bandoleers of AP while wearing only a T Shirt you'll dang sure start feeling it a few hours later and all the next day.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    My H&R would shoot an inch at a hundred when I got it, using my handloads. The loads I made using the Sierra 168 Matchking and 4895 shot 3-4 inches (some match load, huh?), but my loads using H-335 and the Sierra Gameking 150 SPBT shot very well. I'll never know how anyone can shoot decent groups by trying to center the front sight in that humongous peep sight opening. I adjusted my sights so the front sight wings barely touched the top of the rear sight ring opening and using a 6 o'clock hold with that sight picture gave me very consistent sighting. Between the handload and the sighting technique, the rifle shot very well. I haven't shot it in years, though. I got it from DCM in the late 70s or early 80s. Paid $118 + $8 postage. Great bargain!

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 09-28-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting M1s for at least 40 years and have owned at least 20 of them over that time ( I currently only have five left). The average M1 that you buy from the CMP (service grade) will shoot in the 2 to 3 inch range with good clean ball ammo. If you Taylor a load for it you can cut as much as an inch off of that. My current blasting M1 is a Greek return Field Grade that I bought some four years ago. It has a warn barrel but will still hold a 3 inch group with my hand loads. Now if you want to spend some money and have one accurasized by a good gas gun gunsmith (probably not Joe Blow down the street) you can end up with a gun that will shoot good match ammo in the sub MOA area. I had one built like that by a noted smith in 1987 it cost me almost $600 to have it done. What was done was rebarrel with a Kriegger barrel in 308 Win, Check and repair parts as necessary, Tighten up the gas syestem and affix the forward stock to the roward band permanently and glass bed the action. Oh I also had national match sights installed. When I got it back it shot sub MOA out to 600 yards from a bench rest. However, it did not shoot as well as my Springfield Armory super match M1A I had at the time as that would shoot 1/2 moa as it came from the factory.

Mine is a Springfield, mid 1943 with the original barrel and nothing special done to it to enhance accuracy. I tend to shoot 8 shot groups, (7 that I measure) and discount the first as a given "flyer" due to the first round being more or less manualy fed and the others fed via slam-bang action of the bolt. Some 7 shot groups measure under 2", add the first shot and expect 3-4". My M1 is the last rifle I would ever part with.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759