RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

View Poll Results: Do you cast using multiple moulds

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • I cast using multiple moulds routinely.

82 54.67%
  • I do occasionally.

39 26.00%
  • Tried it, didn’t like it.

15 10.00%
  • Never tried it, don’t like the idea.

14 9.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you ever cast using multiple moulds?

I rarely cast with one mold at a time , only when I am doing something serious like hunting bullets , the last couple times it was 4 moulds , I like to get a rythme going where you cut the sprue , drop the bullets, close the mould up , refill and place it in order on a flat surface and move to the next already cooling mould , I think with this system you could cast with a lot of moulds .

Boolit Bub
    I always cast with at least 3 molds. I have 2 matched 4 cavity H&G 130 fb molds and 1 H&G 68 bb 4 cavity mold. Pretty much the same technique as others.

First set them on top of the pot while the lead melts. When the lead is up to temp I spritz the mold tops & interiors with Lyman moly aerosol and start casting. Usually the first 4 get dumped back in the sprue box but virtually every fill after that is good bullets.

Sequence:
    1. Fill 1-set down
    2. Fill 2-set down
    3. Fill 3-set down
    4. Knock off sprue #1, dump bullets, refill-set down.
    5. Knock off sprue #2, dump bullets, refill-set down.
    6. Knock off sprue #3, dump bullets, refill-set down.
    7. Repeat #4-5-6 until the pot is empty or I get tired of casting.

FWIW

Boolit Master
    I have tried it a couple of times but I don't think it is in the cards for me. Can't seem to shake my habit of holding on to one mold. I pretty much use Bruce B's speed casting method and each motion leads smoothly to the next one and I just go right past picking up the second mold.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I swap out the 44 and 357 molds.
    For me, I dont get the super fast production rate, but the boolits are better.

Boolit Grand Master

I mostly use multi-cavity moulds. I hate the cast with less than four cavities (other than the great MiHec hollow point moulds).

With my fan, I don't need to slow down for the mould to cool or the sprue to cool.

Using that little manicurists fan, my sprue hardens in 2-3 seconds (by the clock) and less handling (two moulds necessitates much more hand motion which slows casting down).

I keep a steady pace up and can empty an RCBS 22 lb pot in less than an hour using a MiHec six cavity or NOE five cavity mould. Most of the time, I only cast one pot full at a time. However, of late, I have returned to multiple pots full. In two hours or less of actual casting time I can end up with 42 lbs of finished bullets of match quality.

Now, of course, when I was shooting BPCR it took a bit longer. Then, I learned that LBT or NEI would make me a multi-cavity mould that would allow me to cast the large bullets in only slightly longer time than pistol bullets. Contrary to popular superstition, those bullets from multi-cavity moulds would SHOOT (like 6"-8" ten shot groups at 500 yards). I weighed my bullets and held QC to + or - .6 of a grain. That's less than .3 of a percent deviation. That's with a bottom draw pot and multi-cavity moulds. THAT technique allowed me to practice enough to be competitive at the sport.

Bottom line, by using the little fan, I can use one mould and actually turn out MORE bullets in the same amount of time with one mould and a lot less fatigue.

YMMV
    Dale53