Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus Reputation?

I have a taurus Millenium Pro in their warranty shop right now. Less than thirty days out of the box and it was rusting even the stainless. Hopefully it was some bad steel or something they can fix!
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

I have a raging bull in .44 mag purchased new the first year that cal was offered in the platform. I love this gun.....One of the most accurate and least picky hand guns I own. I have nearly 13000 (yes 3 zeros) rounds thru it (light to heavy). No problems.

I have a friend from deer camp that bought a taurus light weight .38 snubbie. He had timing problems with it and had to send it back for repair. Not sure how it is now (this was years ago) or what his customer service impressions were.

So maybe hit and miss is the best way to describe.

Boolit Master
    I have several Taurus autoloaders and three revolvers in my collection. So far I have not had any problems beyound doing a trigger job on a model 94 22 LR revolver. I have a PT99 that I bought in the mid 80s that never misses a beat no matter what I feed it. A 1911 that has similarly been faultless though to date I only have a few hundred rounds through it and I have a pair of milenium pro one in 9MM and one in 45ACP. These two have been trouble free except when I shot some SWC in the 45 ACP they would not always feed until I had used half the mag then the last 5 worked flawlessley. Everything else I tried worked fine in it. I also have a 2 inch 357 mag five shot revolver. It was a bit rough at first but after a few hundred rounds it has sliked up fine and is now about as usable as my old 36 S&W.

Boolit Man
    I've owned several Taurus revolvers and a few Taurus auto loaders over the years. Some of the revolvers were very accurate, and all functioned 100%. I currently own a new Taurus 38 snubbie. It has some some pretty rough machine marks and is not as well finished as the older Taurus revolvers I have had experiences with, but it functions 100% and it's accuracy is more than adequate for it's intended purpose. Myself and others put tens of thousands of rounds through my Taurus auto loaders and I can not remember one jamming. Some were/are very accurate, and others not so much. I still own a PT92 from the 80's that has the highest round count of any firearm I have ever owned and it never fails. The only experience I have with their customer service was when a 357 mag owned by a friend. The forcing cone began to split. I remember it took along time to get back, but it came back fixed and is still about the best shooting 357 I have had the pleasure of shooting. All in all I would say that Taurus is about on par with other makers as far as rejects. Personally I have actually had far worse luck with Ruger and S&W. But that is just me.

I've got a Tracker in .357 and it is one of my favorites. Shoots like a dream and I have never had a problem with it. I would recommend that model in a second. I also recently got a Taurus Raging .30 - their large frame revolver chambered in .30 Carbine. I haven't had the chance to put it through the ringer yet. I just loaded up some rounds for it and plan on taking out next week. It is a big gun, 10" barrel - I almost need a bipod to shoot it I do plan on getting a Raging Bull in .44 Mag before too long. Hopefully it is as nice and reliable as the Tracker has been.

It seems like Taurus is treated the same way Lee is. You get guys who bash them based off of no personal experience. You also have folks who bash them based off of one less than perfect experience. Taurus makes a quality product at a reasonable price. If it wasn't for companies like Lee and Taurus, a lot of people couldn't afford to shoot or reload. We can't all afford to drive BMW's and Audi's so some of us have to settle for a cheaper Ford or Honda. No company makes a flawless product everytime. Face it, nobody is perfect and their products are made by people who aren't perfect. I've had lemons from companies who make high end equipment the same way I've had lemons from more reasonably priced companies. At the end of the day it all boils down to what you as the consumer are happy with and how the company treats you when an issue does arise. For me personally, my Taurus experience has been great. If you are considering a Taurus (or any gun for that matter) go shoot one and then decide.

Boolit Master
    mtnman31, you have several good points. You should also consider that quite a few of us have more than 1 poor example to base our opinions off. If someone has a Taurus that (honestly) has thousands of rounds through it with no problem, congrats, you done got a good one, son! I see as many owners that manage to fire 2 cylinder/mags without issue, and proclaim it a great gun.... At my pistol shoot, I have seen quite a few that can't even meet the 2 cylinder/mag requirement of these fellows. Pick your poison, and good luck.

Boolit Master

I have a friend that has a 9mm Taurus, it was stolen however the thief was caught. The gun sat in evidence for over a year. When he got it back the gun was so abused and rusted that it wouldn't function. Prior to this I had never owned a Taurus but had recommended them because of their warranty so I told him to call them and see. He purchased the gun second hand so it wasn't new to him, they told him to send it to them and they would see what they could do. After a couple of months he received the pistol back, they had replaced everything except the frame, NO CHARGE! The gun has shot perfectly ever since. The next gun I purchased was the Taurus 1911, I've owned Kimbers and Springfield Armory 1911's, this Taurus has the same fit and function as those. Granted the internal parts may not hold up as well but I was impressed by the company enough to get one.

Boolit Master

I bought an almost new Taurus Model 85 Ultralite revolter in .38 Special in '97. I have fired almost 3,000 rounds through it. It has an excellent trigger in single action and a pretty good double action trigger.

I had the hammer spur ground off for more concealability and it is a trusted and reliable companion. I have had no issues with the gun at all in 13 years.

In '06 I bought a new PT 1911 .45 ACP in blue steel. On the first trip to the range and shooting factory fodder it developed some nasty habits.

It would double, triple and quadruple fire with one pull of the trigger. Then it would fire a round and then not fire. When you look down you find the trigger at half cock and an unfired round in the chamber. This happened 3 times and the multiples took place at least 5 times during the firing of one box of Federal Eagle ammo.

I know that is cheesy ammo but the gun scared me. I brought it back to my gun shop and he examined it and immediately did two things:

1-He gave me a brand new gun from his safe with all the trimmings;

2-He sent back the problem gun to the maker for repairs.

About a month later he had received the gun back from Taurus with a new trigger assembly and sear and some other internal parts.

I have fired over 6,000 rounds of ammo thru this gun and almost all of it was cast boolits that I had made. The trigger without any work done to it is now down to about 3.25# and breaks like a glass rod.

The only thing I have done is I replaced the black grips with a pair of decent Cocobola grips and I had the gun reblued. It did not need to be reblued but I have a local guy that does an outstanding blue job reminiscent of the Colt Royal Bluing on those old revolvers from the early 50's.

These are both reliable and accurate guns. The 1911 from a sand bag will shoot 1.26" groups and the little .38 will hit a 6 inch gong at 40 yds from a rest.

I have seen some horrible things written about Taurus in the past but my experience with two guns is outstanding and they are a great value in my mind and a decent gun at any price.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    Wife had good luck with her Model 85 5 shot 38 Spl snubbie, so I tried a couple of new 856 6 shot snubbies. Neither would even dry fire out of the box (the second was a warranty replacement.) You really have to consider the cost of shipping a handgun again and again - for multiple problems they seem to deal with one problem at a time; so far the life time warranty service has had my gun more than I have, but we're only talking a year here. No bargain after multiple returns for a still unreliable (FTF, unpredictable trigger) gun. Hey mtnman31, I'm speaking form personal experience and I'm not bashing Taurus (wife still likes hers and I admit it is a great little gun), some folks are lucky with them and some aren't, but IMHO luck is no way to run a manufacturing business.
    Last edited by oso; 06-24-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tepeecreeper View Post
    Bought a 431 just have to keep it clean
    I don't think dirt was the source of my 431 troubles. I'd call it "slop".

Boolit Master
    Oso, a mod 85 snubbie was my first Taurus, and although it shot loose pretty quickly, it still functioned fine, and was quite accurate for the price, it was a very good gun. I wish subsequent examples from them had treated me the same. Who knows, maybe management will change and quality will improve. They do have some interesting ideas.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had 3 good Taurus revolvers (2 65? one stainless, one blue and a 85? snubbie .38 in blue) and one bad one that eventually got fixed to my satisfaction. The 3 good were all S&W knock offs with fixed fixing pin on hammer. The problem child was an 8 shot ported stainless that they had screwed up the barrel when porting it. It went back to Tauras twice before they just replaced the barrel like I wanted. After that it shot fine. One of the Good Tauras's was a .357 mag that I shot until it rattled. Sent it back to Taurus and the rebuilt it no charge. I only one that I bought new was the 8 shot. The others all came from friends who really wanted an S&W but originally couldn't afford one so I knew they shot well. I don't have any now as I am into S&Ws from the days of pinned barrels now. The stainless guns were not nearly as smooth as the blued ones. I would buy another 65 if I fell into a good deal on one to use as a truck gun as long as it timed well and was tight.

-yarro

Boolit Master
    I have an older Taurus 66 6shot with over 3000 rds through it. I have never had any problems with it and it is extremely accurate. It also has a great single action pull and a decent DA pull. For a time I had an 85 snubby which was very accurate. The only Taurus I have had a problem with was a Thunderbolt. The firing pin retainer pin fell out of the Tbolt. It was sent back to Taurus and it was returned properly repaired 5 weeks later.

G

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I think that a lot of the talk about Taurus is twofold. Some people will jump in on a rumor and before it is over with you would swear they are the person it happened to. The other is that Taurus has made some guns that were like the Ford Edsel. The Taurus Thunderbolt was one and I was the owner of one. Never worked from the first day I took it out of the box. After one year and 4 trips back to the factory I received my money back. They tried to take a complicated gun and produce it for a cheap price and found out that it can't be done. I still own 3 Taurus handguns and they all work well. One of them needed some stoning but so has a lot of S&W and Colts I have owned.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    This is from personal experience.

Their centerfire revolvers seem to be a good value for the money, and I really like the 410/45colt Judge.

Their automatics are to heavy for paper weights, and to light for boat anchors.

From online reviews and experience of friends I would avoid anything they make in a rimfire caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    This is from personal experience.

Their centerfire revolvers seem to be a good value for the money, and I really like the 410/45colt Judge.

Their automatics are to heavy for paper weights, and to light for boat anchors.

From online reviews and experience of friends I would avoid anything they make in a rimfire caliber.
    That's pretty much the sum of my experience as well, with the exception being their (licensed?) version of the Beretta 92 is a good gun.

The percentage of good to bad Taurus guns seems to be 50/50. And that's not opinion, but rather, experience based on the dozen or so I've owned over the years, and the many more I've worked on and/or had to send back on the behalf of customers.

That said, the only Taurus I would buy for myself or sell to a customer is a new one that came through Davidson's distribution. Any gun bought through them carries a lifetime replacement through them (not Taurus), thus enabling the buyer to get an immediate replacement from Davidson's instead of going through the dismal Taurus customer service department.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I have owned 4 Taurus revolvers over the years. All were well built and performed as expected.
    I still have the two 41 Trackers. A 2" Titanium and a 2" SS. Try and get them from me.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.