MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Levergun you've owned??

Boolit Bub

Best Levergun you've owned??

This is probably a question that's been asked before.

But until recently I wouldn't have felt qualified to answer it. Just got hold (after a 5 month wait) Uberti 1866 Yellowboy .38SPL. Smoothest, best shooting levergun I've ever had. Previous guns:

Marlin 1894C .357 - wouldn't feed anything but FMJ of JHP boolits. But nice rifle.

Win 1894 .44Mag - loose action - lever safety a real PITA and kept ejecting spent cases down the back of my neck. But lighter and more accurate than the marlin I had. Would feed anything.

I had only heard good things about the Uberti's. Now I know it to be true. Smooth action and no anoying lever safety. Feeds anything. Looks great.

What do you guys say? I've seen a Uberti 1873 - next on the wish list.

Boolit Master

Marlin 1895 45-70. 1st year production, no silly cross-bolt garbage, ballard rifling, Williams receiver sight. It seems to shoot whatever I feed it including single loaded paper patch boolits.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Haven 30-30 made by Mossberg. Its the only lever gun I have , so its also the best. No seriously I cant complain it has never let me down except for when the extractor broke.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Master

Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45/70 topped with a 1.5x4.5 Weaver. I had been wanting one of these for a long time now that I got one I wish I would have gotten one sooner. I had traded in a Number 5 Rolling Block that was redone and re-barreled in 45/70 to get this Marlin. I now wish instead of putting all that money into the roller I would have just bought the Marlin then. With the Ballard rifling it shoots cast great.

Henry lever in 22 Mag with a Leupold MK8 on it. Very accurate and smooth lever. I like it I only wish that the mag ammo has not gone up so much.

Winchester Model 94 30/30 made in 64. Yea its a post one but it has never given me any trouble even still has the original lifter. Has a peep rear sight and a fiber optic front sight which makes for a great combination. Classic gun in a classic caliber what's not to like. A great cast bullet gun.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Winchester 1894...

...and that's 1894, NOT 94, in .30WCF, that my grandfather bought in 1908.
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Moderator Emeritus

I own about a dozen lever action rifles, so it's hard to pick one for certain, but my favorite is my Marlin 1894G in .41 Magnum. Super reliable, smooth operation and dead nuts accurate.

I have lever rifles from Savage, Winchester and Marlin, but the Marlins are the ones I prefer to shoot.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: A lot of people have trouble with feeding lever action rifles because they don't experiment with the over all length of their loaded rounds. Most lever action rifles prefer a specific length of cartridge, or bullet shape. I've found the RNFP bullets work best in most of them.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    As odd as it may seem to the OP, the one that I've owned the longest and shot the most is a pre-safety 1894c bought in 1981 or so. I had and still have several other Marlins. Another favorite is a Savage 1899 rebored/rechambered from 30-30 to 38-55.

Boolit Master
    Probably the best I've "ever" owned was a Marlin Model 1893 of 1906 vintage in 32-40 , a Marlin 1893 also of 1906 vintage in 30-30 and a Marlin 1895 of 1897 vintage in 38-56 !

All three of those were as smoth as warm butter !

Now at the present I have no less then Twentyfive Marlin 444's that were made from 1964 to 1975 and all of them are slick and function well !

Also have a Marlin "New Model 1895'" that was made in the first year of production 1972 and that one is slick and functions and shoots well !

And just recently acquired a 1967 vintage Marlin 336-44 thats pretty darned nice functionally and accuracy wise !
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 01-08-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

The most accurate levergun is the most usefull to me and my 45-70 XLR is is so accurate it would be the last to go.It is a real tack-driver.I like my 24 inch 45colt CB very much also.

I don't know what the BEST lever-gun I own is, but I do know that the last one I would sell off would be the Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt. It does everything I want a little lever-action carbine to do.
    Glen

Customized Winchester BB in 356 Winchester and a Leupold Scout Scope mounted in front of the action. Without doubt the best I have now, though the Marlin 336ER in 356 Winchester will be close when it gets finished.
    Tony

My 39A shoots lights out. The attached target has 2 10 shot groups at 50 yards. I had a 6.5X20 Luepold on it when I shot these groups. It shoots around an inch at 100. No crossbolt safety and I picked it up for $300 plus tax at a pawnshop.

I used Veral's firelap compound when I first bought the gun. I put the sights and a Cabella's lace on cheekpiece on it.
    Last edited by crabo; 07-19-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

Exclamation

I like my Marlin 1894 44 mag its a early one 20+ years old fun to shoot, the one that got away was a Ithica 22lr lever action, I've since replaced it with a Henry fun to shoot very smooth action.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Buddy
    I would have a hard time parting with my Burncide contract 1865 spencer 56-50,good for pigs to 100yds and a great history ,then my Evans new modle sporting rifle and my 95 Winchester 30-40 carbine for serious work

Moderator Emeritus

How many choices do I get?
    As far as most comfortable and fun, it would be the 1960 Marlin 336 straight stock 35 Rem.
    The best built would go to the Browning Centenial 44 mag.

The one I shoot the most is a 16" Rossi 45 mdl 92.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master
    I have only one lever action rifle, a Winchester 1895 from 1900, chambered for the 405 WCF cartridge. Since it is my only one, it must be the one I feel is the best. In the past I have had others but for various reason, sold them. In a few years, I amy sell this one.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    My 39A shoots lights out. The attached target has 2 10 shot groups at 50 yards. I had a 6.5X20 Luepold on it when I shot these groups. It shoots around an inch at 100. No crossbolt safety and I picked it up for $300 plus tax at a pawnshop.

I used Veral's firelap compound when I first bought the gun. I put the sights and a Cabella's lace on cheekpiece on it.

Great Shooting. My Henry 22 Mag will put with the ammo it likes which at the time was CCI FMJ 5 shots into one 30 caliber size hole at 50 yards. Other ammo is more like half inch when I do my part. Problem is with the price of 22 mag ammo I do not use it much anymore for plinking or target shooting.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Grand Master
    Its a toss-up. When we were kids, there was an Ithaca Model 72, (prerunner of the Henry) that my best friend and I swapped back and forth several times. The other was a Marlin Model 39 that was old enough that it was drilled for a scope base, but the hammer wasn't grooved for the thumb piece extention.

I lost track of the Ithaca after I went into the Navy, The Marlin got swiped out of my buddy's truck.

Wish I had them both back, now.

Robert

For a shooter the 1996 Marlin 30AS
    For walkabout the 1967 Winnie 94
    Both in 30WCF
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Moderator Emeritus

Not a traditional but hands down the BLR in 308. Mine has killed moose to rabbits and groups cast almost as well as j-words. 5 other also rans in the safe.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze