Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I used chainsaw chain lube on my sprue plate

I used chainsaw chain lube on my sprue plate

I used some Husquvarna chain saw chain lube on my Sprue plate. It worked really well. The galling stopped and the sprue holes quit sticking lead. My mold worked really well. I am not sure if any of you have tried this before,just curiouse?
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master

I "heard" that the 2 stroke oil is the same as Bullplate. I will be trying, cause I already have some out in my garage.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    I "heard" that the 2 stroke oil is the same as Bullplate. I will be trying, cause I already have some out in my garage.
    Just any kind of 2 stroke oil? I used the chain lube because it is designed to take a lot of heat. Is the 2 stroke oil or bullplate applied with every use?
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

I have some synthetic 2 stroke oil left over and have been using it and has been working really well. I don't know if you should or not but I do use it at the start of every casting session

Boolit Master
    Haven't tried it myself but it would seem logical since chain lube is specifically designed for high heat applications.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

That's nothing! I use Bullplate lube in my 2 stroke engines and seems to work very well. Just mix one bottle to a gallon of gas and there you go. Kidding aside, both seem to work equal and there are no lead smears on the face of the blocks or sprue plate.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rockchucker View Post
    That's nothing! I use Bullplate lube in my 2 stroke engines and seems to work very well. Just mix one bottle to a gallon of gas and there you go. Kidding aside, both seem to work equal and there are no lead smears on the face of the blocks or sprue plate.
    I have tried the chain lube in my Ford van and it worked well. Not joking. The old van leaked a lot of oil and now leaks very little. It sounds better also. That old van keeps on going.
    I may give the 2 cycle oil a try.

Chain saw chain lube is designed for high heat? Does anybody have a reference on that?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

i'm with jim on this...bar and chain lube is thick and sticky so it doesn't sling off. if anything, the 2 stroke oil would be meant for higher temps...as in combustion chamber temps.

i use silicone oil meant for r/c car shocks...it's what i had and doesn't burn off and leave a mess. i'm too cheap to buy bullplate lube...maybe when my current supply is exhausted.

I've been using hi temp grease from the auto parts store for quite a while now & it's been working OK. It was cheap & its a far cry better than pencil lead, soap stone, or boolit lube, but it's not as good as Bull plate. I just got my first bottle of Bull plate & it was well worth getting. A little goes a long way too. I think that one bottle will last me at least 10 years if I don't spill it.

I haven't tried 2-stroke oil or chain/bar lube.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Smile

The difference between the two , 2 stroke feeds the oil industry and the Bull plate lube feeds a family ! I have used it and liked it and for the money I'D rather send it to a member than big oil !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blaser.306 View Post
    The difference between the two , 2 stroke feeds the oil industry and the Bull plate lube feeds a family ! I have used it and liked it and for the money I'D rather send it to a member than big oil !!!
    Yep I agree , I just used what I had .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blaser.306 View Post
    Super mega ditto's on that statement...

Boolit Master

Need to make it simple to order online. Just an easy little Pay-Pal button. I have been to the Bullshop and I can't see how you order anything online. Looks like you have to call and that can be inconvenient, say I wanna go ahead and order some lube right now, do I call at 12:53AM?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Drop a couple bucks in the mail. Good things come to those that wait. It is spring time and outdoor activities are picking up for them, (outdoor projects, gardens, home maintenance, and other self sufficient living chores).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    Need to make it simple to order online. Just an easy little Pay-Pal button. I have been to the Bullshop and I can't see how you order anything online. Looks like you have to call and that can be inconvenient, say I wanna go ahead and order some lube right now, do I call at 12:53AM?
    Doby- folks do business here at Cast Boolits a little different then the rest of the world sometimes.

Just email him with an order request, and I'm sure you will be taken care of.

Welcome to cast boolit heaven! ..

Boolit Master

Oh, do not take what I said as a complaint. I would say it is more of a "suggestion". Make it simple for the buyer and the buyer will reward you with their money.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy

I have ordered from Bullshop by simply shooting them an email and they are very prompt about replying. Like a meat head I did spill about half my first bottle. It goes to a good family.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Chain saw chain lube is designed for high heat? Does anybody have a reference on that?
    Chain bar oil is normaly just sraight base oil with a tackifier added.

No high heat additives at all though it is also made with "line wash" which is the oil flushed from blending tnaks and filling lines when a product changeover is done so you can aslo have bits of engine, trans,gear and hydrualic mixed into chain bar oil at any given time.

Bruce

there are variuos types of 2 cycle oil most notable is ASLESS and ASH forming types.

Ashless for marine applications and ash types for small motor cycle and lawn mowers.

Both will be have a base oil some times a heavy synthetic base stock (like 50wt) diluted with solvent to allow easy mixing with fuel.

Bruce