Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45acp platforms for cast boolits

45acp platforms for cast boolits

Because I was struggling with leading issues in 9mm, I moved to 45acp for my cast boolit semi-auto shooting. I started with an Armscor made, compact 1911, and found I liked a lot of things about that gun, but never really got physically comfortable with it. Sold it off, and I find myself needing a 45acp shooter for cast boolits. Prefer revolvers, and might consider dropping the (considerable amount of) coin for a 45acp SA/DA revolver. I also really like the EAA Witness series.

Wondering what platforms you guys prefer for 45acp and cast boolits?

My Sig P220 loves cast boolits!

Boolit Master

What platforms?
    .45ACP
    My 1911 loves the .45ACP round.
    With casting, I use the Lee 200gn RF. Not even a burp. I pan lube so no leading.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I use 1911A1 types, short and long. I use a Colt New Service from 1942 and a Ruger NMBH convertible. All are disgustingly easy to load for using Lyman 452460 and 452374.

Boolit Grand Master

Std full sized 1911 like a Springfield, Kimber or one of the other 20 or so brands out there
    now should be real fine with .45ACP. If you can afford it the Dan Wesson 1911s are really
    top quality, but they don't make very many and the are sometimes hard to find besides
    the cost issue. Not a huge fan of the Taurus 1911, but it is not junk, just kind marginal
    small parts. Frame, barrel and slide seem to be every bit as good as any others.

If you want to do the revolver route the S&W 25-2 is a good piece of equipment, not
    cheap tho. The Ruger BH converible works well in .45ACP, too. Many report it being
    a touch more accurate than the .45 LC cylinder. Two calibers for one low price.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Because I was struggling with leading issues in 9mm, I moved to 45acp for my cast boolit semi-auto shooting. I started with an Armscor made, compact 1911, and found I liked a lot of things about that gun, but never really got physically comfortable with it. Sold it off, and I find myself needing a 45acp shooter for cast boolits. Prefer revolvers, and might consider dropping the (considerable amount of) coin for a 45acp SA/DA revolver. I also really like the EAA Witness series.

Wondering what platforms you guys prefer for 45acp and cast boolits?
    The .45ACPis a totally different animal from the 9mm. You are working with a much larger base and much lower psi. Regardless of the caliber, I have found that a boolit .003 than groove size and a good lube will resolve many headaches and lead cleaning. I did go with a Bar Sto barrel for my 9mm which slugged just about .001 smaller than my stock barrel to learn this. Have fun with all of 'em and don't give up on the 9mm.
    EW

Boolit Bub
    I use a stainless Colt 1991a1 and an Armscor (High Standard) compact 1911, both are box stock.. Both work like a champ for me shooting cast so far. I'm still using up my Missouri bullet cast stuff so I haven't tried my WW Lee 228s yet.
    There are differences between the full size and the compact Gov't models. The most noticeable for me is that the compact does have a bit more muzzle flip than the full size. For me the full size tends to recoil almost straight back with very little flip. Granted I'm not shooting max loads either, mine are pretty much dead center middle of the road loads, 4.7g HP-38, CCI Primers and a 230g cast ball.

You should try a full size 1911 platform if you get the chance, I'd be inclined to say that you'd like it.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot .45 in two 1911's both made in 1918, a series 70 Gov. model, a series 70 combat commander, a FA Ingram, a Enfield mkVI, and a Eaa wonder finish .45. I shoot the Lee TL230, in all of them. The Witness will shoot circles around the Colts.

You can't go wrong with an Eaa witness, although their customer service REALLY, REALLY bites...........................

Boolit Master
    My Sig 220 eats them like candy. LLA and a TL 230gr RN boolit. Almost zero leading.

And ditto about going .003 over on 9mm. Took me months of hair pulling and gnashing of teeth before a kind soul pointed that out to me.

Boolit Mold
    My 45acp. autoloaders are a Springfield TRP 1911 and a FN FNP-45. The Springfield is a great gun and meets all of my needs in a 1911. the FN is a very cool gun with extremely minimal felt recoil and it is extremely accurate; plus it holds 15 +1. I am searching for one 230 grain lead bullet that both guns like in another configuration other than round nose. My latest experiment is with a LBT LFN bullet.

For revolvers, I have an old model Ruger Blackhawk with a 45acp cylinder, but I usually use the 45 Colt cylinder in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, my P220 runs them like a champ too!!

Boolit Master

rbstern -

It sound to me like you need a Ruger, a Smith & Wesson, a good 1911 model, a ....

Kimber makes a good 1911 and Dan Wesson`s are also good for 1911 platforms. I have a Sig P220 and it like the cast boolits I make also. I use 200 grain SWC TL Lee mold.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master
    everyone should own atleast one 1911 basic gun...cause its the way the world is.

para ord came out with a us made 1911 for under 600. basic gi with modern machine tolerances. love mine.
    throat is short and reguires a short oal or a reduced dia nose. lee's tl 230 rn bb fits the bill and is lube and sized in my star.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    rbstern -

It sound to me like you need a Ruger, a Smith & Wesson, a good 1911 model, a ....

Is there anyone on these boards who doesn't?

Fellas, appreciate all these helpful comments. Some of you are tempting me to revisit 9mm...argh! Didn't want to go there!

The reason I mentioned EAA Witness in my list is because the 9mm steel Witness I had was the most accurate semi-auto handgun I've ever shot, along the lines of goste's experience with his. It would even put cheap Russian ammo into very small groups.

Anybody use the Lee 358-125RNFP in 9mm? That's my goto mold these days for 38 special, and I always thought it would make a fine 9mm boolit.

Boolit Master

Rock Island Tactical loves some 200gr SWC
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Don't know why the answers would cause you to go back to the 9mm. It is very inferior to the 45 ACP in all departments. Have you ever watched a Bullseye match at Camp Perry where the winner was using any 9mm made? What I have seen posted is some good choices in 45 auto's. They are different in price and handling. I have owned most all brands of 45 and my favorites are the Sig, Colt, Kimber and S&W's. YMMV
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Right now in 45 ACP I have;

2 NOrinco 1911A1s autopistols
    Colt Govt Model autopistol
    Smith 1955 Target Model (DA sixgun)
    2 Smith 1938 Brazilian DA sixguns
    Smith 625 DA sixgun
    Colt 1917 DA sixgun
    Sig P220 autopistol
    Ruger BH 45 Colt/45ACP SA sixgun

All shoot cast bullet just fine! Leading is not a 9mm vs. 45 ACP issue. Either will lead with the wrong loads. Either won't lead with the right loads. Of course individual barrels do differ in terms of internal roughness that has a big effect on how cast bullet shoot. But that can be cured in just about any pistol. I also have several 9mm pistol and have no leading issues with any of them.

All bullet fired in autopistols are sized .452. Bullets fired in the sixguns are sized .454.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 05-20-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    What role do you want the gun to fill? There are so many 45's out there....hard to recommend anything without knowing the application.

Shooting cast is so generic...I shoot cast for self defense, games, practice, target, training, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Don't know why the answers would cause you to go back to the 9mm. It is very inferior to the 45 ACP in all departments. Have you ever watched a Bullseye match at Camp Perry where the winner was using any 9mm made?
    Cajun, appreciate your comments.

I'm not worried about having a combat sidearm or winning a bullseye match. This is about fun plinking of cast lead for me. If I had succeeded at casting in 9mm a couple of years ago, I probably wouldn't be loading and shooting 45acp. I'm mostly into revolvers and 38/357, but I sometimes like shooting a centerfire semi-auto for change of pace at the range. Either of the two calibers is satisfying.

The nice thing about reloading 9mm is the ease of acculumating suitable brass, and the low cost of 9mm FMJ ammo if I feel like shooting factory stuff. 45acp brass is hard to come by. When the grass at my gun club swallows some of my spent 45acp casings, I regret it. 9mm, on the other hand, I always wind up with a ton of brass.